Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Bergen R/C Helicopters

Bergen R/C Helicopters Bergen Intrepid 90 Intrepid Turbine Observer Industrial Twin Observer Turbine Support Forum

Old 06-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Nitrospazzz
Registered Users

Default Slowing down the Bergen

I have a Bergen Gasser EB that I am using for Aerial Photography. I am working on finishing the break in period right now but plan to strap the mount on there soon. I was wondering what paddles/weights you would recommend to slow down and stabilize the ship. I don't want to put in a ton of expo if I don't have to. If I am thinking right I need to find some real heavy paddles. If you have links to paddles on heliproz or ricks it would be very helpful. Thanks
Nitrospazzz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Whirly-Girl
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use V-paddles: http://www.vblades.com/gestalt/go.cf...F3D85408CEB261

and you can get flybar weights at Rick's: http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...Category_Code=

I liked the looks of those weights because they are removable. I haven't tried them yet.

Jeanette
Whirly-Girl is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Nitrospazzz
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Those are some light paddles, maybe stick with the stock paddles I have on it but get those weights. Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
ShawnK
Registered Users

Another option (one I used on my EB) is stock Hirobo Freya paddles with both weights installed. They have a nice, soft center (in terms of control feel), and you can tailor the weight to your liking.
There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
ShawnK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
WillJames

My HF Map location

The stock paddles (IMHO) are a lot quicker than the V's if you are running the stock KSJ/K&S looking paddles. Why not run a good bit of Expo ona camera ship. Especially with a underslung mount, I would think that a good bit will be neded to help stop the pendulum effect??
Old 06-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
ShawnK
Registered Users

The goal is to fly it smoothly enough that you never get there anyway. You're not flying a 3D ship, you're flying a camera ship. A certain degree of smooth flying ability should be a pre-requisite.

Ideally, I'd think that the same methodology that's used in setting up an F3C machine would have quite a bit of merit for a camera ship.
There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
DebianDog
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yep weight on the flybar or a longer flybar. (I am using a 550mm one off a Tsurugi) and about 30% expo.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
rkeith2
Registered Users

Stock Bergen with 20% makes a smooth platform for me.
Bergen R/C Helicopters -
rkeith2 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
Nitrospazzz
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok I'll see if I can pick up some of those Freya weighted paddles and those flybar weights then add a bit of expo and see how it work. Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
MarkWebber
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nitro

Larry says Bergen is coming out with their own weights. I had some scary pylon swirl on spool down in windy conditions. I couldn't wait for them to be ready(sorry Chris and Larry) and put some other brand on. What an improvement. My EB is still very responsive but manageable for AP. I put them at the midpoint on the flybar. I might have been better to put them all the way out, though. I might give that a go if it will quit raining here.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
DebianDog
Registered Users

My HF Map location

But buddy is right. The better pilot you become the less you will need it
Old 06-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #12
Whirly-Girl
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebianDog
But buddy is right. The better pilot you become the less you will need it
I must be one slick chick then, cuz I didn't put my weights on and I flew V-paddles AND guys were standing back and commenting on the stability in hover (hands off) and the smooth, graceful FF.

You boys better keep practicing! Just kidding! :wink:
Old 06-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #13
MarkWebber
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Let's not be too cocky now, Jeanette I'm sure you'll agree that the EB can be a lively heli. As I posted, my primary concern was the chicken dance on spool down. Now having installed the weights, I can see how they help a bit for AP. So take it easy on us

BTW, have you started putting yours back together? I hope the EB withdrawls aren't too bad. :wink: We want to see more pics from you soon!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
DebianDog
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirly-Girl
I must be one slick chick then, cuz I didn't put my weights on and I flew V-paddles AND guys were standing back and commenting on the stability in hover (hands off) and the smooth, graceful FF.
Slick Chick? Without question.

If you are that good without them.. Imagine how impressive you would be with!
Old 06-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #15
ShawnK
Registered Users

Ahhh, Jeanette's just bragging. :mrgreen:
Old 06-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
Whirly-Girl
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddykitchen
Ahhh, Jeanette's just bragging. :mrgreen:
Naaahhh, I just like to poke at you guys once in a while. :wink:

The rebuild on my EB is going to take a little longer than I want it to. I'm in a catch 22. I need to take pictures to get the money for repairs, but the big bird designed for taking pictures needs the repairs. Word of advice to those who want to do AP for $: make your budget twice as much as it actually costs. :wink:

My "silent partner" won't allow the repairs just right now since we have some family activities to pay for in October. We're keeping buisiness money separate from family money so that I don't just keep pouring more and more into this without seeing the returns.

And, YEAH, I do have EB withdrawal now!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
DebianDog
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
so that I don't just keep pouring more and more into this without seeing the returns
Huh? You can do that?
Old 06-23-2006, 09:07 PM   #18
Brady Longmore
Registered Users

I talked to Gary Travis about if I should put expo into my EB for AP. I currently have none.

Gary's response:

" Why don't you just learn how to fly the damn thing? "

Seriously though, he's right. You will be a far better pilot in the long run if you just learn how to fly it like it needs to be flown, without relying on expo as a crutch.
Brady Longmore is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:00 AM   #19
MarkWebber
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Gary's response:

" Why don't you just learn how to fly the damn thing? "
That seems like an arrogant comment. Since he was looking to make a more stable platform for AP, I don't see how that indicates he is less of a pilot. Shoot off of a pole cam in a strong wind and you'll wonder if it could be made mores stable too. Would that mean that you don't know how to use your 'pole'? :wink:
I had expo on the tail when I first started to fly my EB. It was had alot more authority than what I had been flying. I've taken it out now but can't imagine why one wouldn't want to use what ever tools are at his disposal to do the best job possible.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:45 AM   #20
DebianDog
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Exactly. A bug could land on your hand and make you twitch does not mean you can't fly. You want it as slow and steady as possible.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Bergen R/C Helicopters

Bergen R/C Helicopters Bergen Intrepid 90 Intrepid Turbine Observer Industrial Twin Observer Turbine Support Forum