Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
tekparasite
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Blade 400 + DX6i Setting for Newbie?

Still on the learning curve with a lot to absorb. I am not ready to hover as I am checking that everything is in-check,leveled and programmed correctly (see I bought a used B400).

I have 3 questions:

(1) What are the DX6i ideal settings for B400?

I used the DX6i improved settings shown on e-flite's site. When I turn on the transmitter and connect the battery to the heli, the blades start going. I have to hit the throttle hold to kill the spinning. (2) Is this normal? With the default settings, this didn't happen.

(3) Training landing gear recommended? I went to my local hobby shop and the guy told me NOT to use a training gear as the dynamics are different without it, and I will crash once I take them off. Any opinions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
tekparasite is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
ENDO1
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1) the advanced settings will be fine

2) yes, if the trim is not set low enough. Trim the throttle just like you would any of the other trims. I'm suprised that the ESC armed but this will fix it

3) If you are learning, absolutely use the gear. The guy is an idiot. Flight will not change enough to be concerned about, by that time you will be able to handle it anyway..

All on DX6i
ENDO1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
mr2mkii
Registered Users

Everyone has their own like/dislike of various settings. Most would agree settings mentioned in the bible and on the Horizon site are a good start.

I've seen the blade immediate startup under three conditions either 1)You had throttle hold on when you plugged in the battery (don't, leave it off, as this value becomes the new "low" throttle point, and 0 stick is higher, thus it starts running as soon as you switch it off). 2)You didn't bind the receiver with all the settings at null (low/off). 3)Improper throttle trim set.

As for the landing gear, yes it does affect the dynamics of the heli....but IMHO a GOOD way if you are NEW. The training gear helps minimize chances for blade strikes into terra firma. It also adds weight, which is extends out fairly far which slows down the response.

Eventually when you've mastered with the trainers, you will remove them...and have to readjust, as the heli will respond quicker. At that point though, you should have the basics down, and aren't likely to crash it.

Also, I highly recommend getting a SIM that uses your transmitter. They will save you bucks in the long run.
mr2mkii is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Some good NORM settings to try

Sly's slow (easiest on the nerves)
T 00-20-30-40-50
P 40-45-50-75-100

Sly's med (good slow park flying)

T 00-40-50-60-70
P 40-45-50-75-100

Sly's fast (Good for fast park flying)

T 00-60-70-80-90
P 40-45-50-75-100

Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
tekparasite
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2mkii View Post
Everyone has their own like/dislike of various settings. Most would agree settings mentioned in the bible and on the Horizon site are a good start.

I've seen the blade immediate startup under three conditions either 1)You had throttle hold on when you plugged in the battery (don't, leave it off, as this value becomes the new "low" throttle point, and 0 stick is higher, thus it starts running as soon as you switch it off). 2)You didn't bind the receiver with all the settings at null (low/off). 3)Improper throttle trim set.

As for the landing gear, yes it does affect the dynamics of the heli....but IMHO a GOOD way if you are NEW. The training gear helps minimize chances for blade strikes into terra firma. It also adds weight, which is extends out fairly far which slows down the response.

Eventually when you've mastered with the trainers, you will remove them...and have to readjust, as the heli will respond quicker. At that point though, you should have the basics down, and aren't likely to crash it.

Also, I highly recommend getting a SIM that uses your transmitter. They will save you bucks in the long run.
Great Info:
I will be installing training gear prior to my first try.

I will follow the pointers on the re-binding and making sure the settings are null. If that doesn't work, I'll adjust the throttle trim down to cut down the spinning on the blade when throttle is all the way down. Will report later.

I do have a SIM (Phoenix), but I am using the transmitter that came with my CX3. I do well on the SIM, but the real deal scares me a bit as I still don't have the settings quite down yet. I'm learning on getting the tail setup correctly. I had to replace the tail-servo. Next step will be the adjusting the head. I have watched the videos on youtube, but they don't go in detail on the tare-down. It's quite intimidating seeing all those rods compared to my CX3. . I'll get there.

I also need to get a pitch gauge from what I have been reading.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
macel
Registered Users

My HF Map location

check the bible, have a look on RADDS flight school. do your self a favor
DO IT will save you a lot of crashes and makes you ll be sure that whatever settings your put in are correct...........
training gear will be a great aid, for your first hovers, choosse a large paved surface pout the training gears on and you ll see it helps as the heli can slide when you set it down......... later on once you are comfortable to land and take off....... you ll get rid of the training gear, and you will fly just fine. believe me the difference in hovering is almost non ..............

i still put the sticks up after each major rebuild, for the first test flight, tracking and trimming if it shouldn't come off the ground even....... it will save you a repair after the repair.....lol ........

BUT dou yourself and your wallet a favour check out radds flightschool.........
Cust B400, cnc body, GY401, Robbe FS61bb(8520), 3xHS 65 MG, MH gear, scorpion 2221-8 VE2, align 35A-GX, sport BEC 6 Volt, SONIX CNC Head + protail, Carbon tail, all carb blades / 5 x outrage 2200, 2 x EF 1800
macel is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
jteee
Registered Users

Hey Tek, although the CX3 radio works with Phoenix, you should at least setup the DX6i and run a few flights with it. It helps a TON when you practice with the same radio you fly with. Does the CX3 radio have a throttle hold feature? If not, use the DX6i, you will need to get proficient with autorotation landings, it's saved my helis on more than one occasion. Plus, with the DX6i, you can use the same settings in the radio for the sim.
jteee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
tekparasite
Registered Users

My HF Map location

very good point. I will try to set it up. Again, at this point i'm taking one step at a time. I just got my B400, and I wanted to learn the menu structure, features etc, before plugging it to the sim. However, I do see the added benefit of using the Dx6i on the sim. The CX3 Transmitter does NOT have a throttle hold. And this is the part where I show my lack of knowledge : "autorotation landings"'??
Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
Cailid
Registered Users

Autorotation is what you attempt to do when your motor loses power. As your machine comes down the air moving over the blades will spin them a little providing some lift. Increasing your throttle will change the pitch of the blades providing more lift but only for a short time as it also increases drag slowing the blades down. Then your machine starts coming down faster again. The trick is to do it at the right altitude so you lose that extra lift just as your heli hits the ground. If you're real lucky nothing will be broken or it'll only be minor damage. Without autorotating, your heli will just try to dig a hole in the ground.

You can practice on the sim by getting altitude and then hitting your throttle hold and trying to get down in one peice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The bulk of mankind is as well equipped for flying as thinking.
Jonathon Swift.
Cailid is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #10
tekparasite
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailid View Post
Autorotation is what you attempt to do when your motor loses power. As your machine comes down the air moving over the blades will spin them a little providing some lift. Increasing your throttle will change the pitch of the blades providing more lift but only for a short time as it also increases drag slowing the blades down. Then your machine starts coming down faster again. The trick is to do it at the right altitude so you lose that extra lift just as your heli hits the ground. If you're real lucky nothing will be broken or it'll only be minor damage. Without autorotating, your heli will just try to dig a hole in the ground.

You can practice on the sim by getting altitude and then hitting your throttle hold and trying to get down in one peice.
thanks.... I just tried the DX6i on phoenix and it works! I'll practice with it from this point forward. We'll see how I do.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters