Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
-Gamah

My HF Map location
Default Scorpion-8, Align 35X, high timing?

Is it okay to run the Align ESC on high timing with this motor? On medium timing I'm getting about 5:30 flight time and putting right about 1700 back into the packs after pushing them as hard as I can, I'm still not quite happy with the power the motor provides.
-Gamah is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
sd0
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What packs are you using? What pinion? I too just upgraded to the -8, and kept the 35X ESC, I didn't change any setting on the ESC, and I'm pretty sure it was set to high timing.

Mine seems to have really good power, so much better than the 430X it replaced. It is pretty much unboggable. I am using ThunderPower 2250 30C packs, and a 13T pinion. 4:30 flight I am putting about 1500mAh back in the packs, motor/esc/packs barely warm.

The -8 is a really great motor.
sd0 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Funky
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just try it, it won't hurt the motor. Its easy enough to just re-program the ESC to see if it helps. You'll probably get answers both ways so it is best to just try it yourself to see if it is better or worse. I tried it a long time ago when I ran the -8 on the 35X and I couldn't really tell a difference between high or mid timing... although I wasn't flying as hard either. I just kept mine on mid timing.

BTW, you'll never be happy with the power. Mine is extremely over powered but I still find myself wanting more sometimes
Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
-Gamah
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I was told by Lucien Miller that too high of timing might cause the motor to backfire, which would result in stripped teeth... I'm running ZippyH 20-30C 2200 packs... There's plenty of power right now... I just want that touch more.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Funky
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lucien knows these motors inside and out. I would do whatever he reccomends.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
-Gamah

My HF Map location

I suppose some more flying and I'll get used to it.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Funky
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What pinion and curve are you running? On 3S I was running the 13 tooth pinion with a 95% flat idle up curve and it was a beast with good lipos. Headspeed was around 3200 and it had great power for a 3S setup.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
-Gamah

My HF Map location

I was running 100% on 13T untill I moved down to my 315mm wood blades, now I'm running 92%
Old 05-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
sd0
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry -Gamah, I was wrong, I just checked and my ESC is set for mid timing not high like I said earlier. Plenty of power for me, I'm leaving like it is. I run it at 100% flat in idle2, gives some really good headspeed, and does not sound like it ever fluctuates.

I am running Align325D's right now, but I just ordered some TP 325's, should be here in a couple of days, I hear these are some really great blades.

Be careful with the woodies, even at 92%, with a 13t pinion you should be at or just a bit above 3K headspeed.
sd0 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
airjawed
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
I was told by Lucien Miller that too high of timing might cause the motor to backfire, which would result in stripped teeth... I'm running ZippyH 20-30C 2200 packs... There's plenty of power right now... I just want that touch more.
Too high timing can cause the motor to get into bad timing....but how high is too high? Really depends on the speed controller. Maybe high timing on the align 35x is only a few degrees higher than low timing?

Sorry to say but sometimes you have to try it out on your specific setup to see what the results are.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
pnoypilot
Registered Users

I've been running my motors at low timing since I started in February with helis. I guy from RCG said he has been running his motors on high timing and his motor is just warm to touch. My motor/esc was hot to touch at low timing and I changed the timing to high on a 430L motor and flew it yesterday to test and after 7 minutes of hovering, the motor and esc was cool to the touch...and the battery was cool too and onlly put back 1200 mah... think the key is high timing, i'm going to change all the timing on all 4 helis I have.
pnoypilot is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.