Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Telechat
Registered Users

Default T-Rex 450S GF Build question

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a brand new T-Rex 450S GF and have a few questions related to it's build. Please keep in mind this is my first serious CP heli (an experience with a piccolo CP a few years ago doesn't really count I think).
First able, I'd like to point out that I watched most of Finless' videos and found out that they were invaluable material.
Ok let's quote my building instructions section 4:
"When tightening a linkage ball to a plastic part, please note to use a little CA glue and tighten it firmly."
So, what is the right way to apply CA to a linkage ball to get it secured ?

Basicly, the heli's main rotor head came already assembled and I am wondering to what extent I should take it apart and rebuild it applying threadlock and CA to right places.

I reckon, my issue is not adressed by Finless Bob in his threadlock101 vid since it featured the SE version of the T-Rex and all its aluminium parts where you have have to use blue threadlock when tightening a linkage ball to a metal part.

many thanks for your help.
Telechat is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
JoelKatz
Registered Users

Apply a drop of CA to the threads and tighten the ball in place.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
JDMjdawg
Registered Users

Hi Telechat and welcome to Helifreak! This is an awesome forum that's filled with ridiculous amounts of heli info and really cool people.

This doesn't answer your question but I just wanted you to know that once you crash your 450(it will happen, trust me and I'm not trying to jinx you) you should probably upgrade to a CopterX or equivalent head and tail. I had a very minor crash on my 450S that ended up breaking a blade grip and seesaw holder which costed me about $25 in replacement plastic parts not including the cost of the main shaft that bent as well. That's already half the cost of the CopterX head and tail I picked up on Ebay. I bought the CopterX head and tail for $47 shipped from http://myworld.ebay.com/besthobbysite/ and received it in less than a week. Good luck my friend
JDMjdawg is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
ED the HEAD
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bienvenu!
As any pre assembled RC stuff, disassemble and loctite everything, I noticed on mine that some of the ball screws of the head had threalock, some other did not! Put a drop of threadlock on every screw or ball, depends witch version you have, early V1 have independant screws that go throught the ball, latest have all-in-one ball/screws!
ED the HEAD is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Telechat
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

@JDMjdawg:
Many thanks for your kind words and tip on the CopterX's metal parts. Actually I was already considering these metal upgrades as I own a HK450 as well that'll prolly end up as my beater heli. My plan is to always have 2 operationnal 450 birds.
Moreover I hope not to crash not too early because I'm not a complete noob since I used to fly a piccolo CP a couple years ago and have since fly foamie planes. But sure I'll give my skills a refresh with the sim.

@ED:
Merci !
My T-Rex is the S version and therefore has a plastic head and tail assemblies. And I heard in Finless Bob's vids that one should not apply threadlock on plastic part because it would eat into the plastic.

@JoelKatz:
Thank you for your quick answer. My only concern is, won't the CA cure before I actually achieve to screw the linkage ball to the end of the plastic arm bolt for instance ?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Telechat
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Other opinions on applying CA to linkage balls ?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #7
ED the HEAD
Registered Users

My HF Map location

if you put CA on thread and tighten in a plastic part, it doesn't do anything because CA doesn't stick to these plastic (reinforced nylon).
if you put threadlock it doesn't do anything as well because most threadlock are anaerobic resin that require to be "squized" between too metal parts.
ED the HEAD is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.