Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Scottydog
Registered Users

Default What's a good airbrush to purchase?

I've been looking at air brushes and air brush kits (containing the air compressor) there are a lot to choose from and the prices range from $250 - $450 for the kits.

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks,

Jon
Scottydog is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Farrell
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is like asking what is the best heli or best gyro

I have only used two airbrushes, here are my experiences:

Badger 150. My first airbrush, I still use it and its great. I bought the kit with three needles, three nozzles and jars/cup. The three needles/nozzles make it a very versatile brush, with the fine needle I can spray thin lines and do detail work, the medium needle is a good all-around choice and the large needle lets you get some quick coverage. It is a siphon feed which some love and some hate. I typically just use the metal cup and treat it like a gravity feed brush, unless I want to paint large areas. Only negative thing I can come up with it a tendency to "spit" paint that accumulates on the crown. This only happens if your try to spray paint that is insufficiently thinned, so I can not fault the airbrush for it. If for some reason you insist on spraying thick paint just periodically stop spraying and blow at the crown to remove any accumulated paint.

Paasche Talon. My second airbrush, and the one I find myself using the most. It works great for detail work, the trigger feel is great and coverage is smooth. It is a gravity feed, which again some people love and some hate. I prefer this type... no collection of bottle caps to clean at the end of the day. You learn to gauge how much paint to load into the brush with time, reducing waste. The Talon does not have the style of nozzle/crown that the 150 does and I have yet to get any spitting. The Talon either sprays well (properly reduced paint) or sprays very poorly (too thick.) Only thing I do not like about the Talon is that it's a fatty I prefer the smaller diameter of the 150's body, but got used to the Talon and it does not bother me much any more.

-Farrell
Farrell is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
BrandonR
Registered Users

You can't go wrong with an Iwata Eclipse-CS airbrush. A lot of the bigger name car painters would even recommend this to you. It is roughly 140 with the hose from coastairbrush.com.

You could get one of those 3 gallon compressors from sears http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915310000P or one of the other generic stores out there for roughly 100-125 bucks which would be a good start. You can spend extra and get a bigger compressor which will make it a little less noisy from the motor kicking in to refil so often. I personally have one of these http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916763000P and it works great.
BrandonR is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Kustom
Registered Users

My HF Map location

+1 on the where to get the equipment i would say go with the hpc+ from coast teflon oring besides if you get the kit form there you will get some templets and a vidio teaching you the basics i only run teflon orings cause of the hok paints i been using there stuff for 10 years plus and never had a problem if you need any more help call coast and ask for dave he's cool i talk with him once every 3 months for a bs catch up . the other good feature on the hpc+ is longer triger plus it has a screw knob on the back so you can set how much throw there is on the trigger for the paint flow .. i broke it down in basic terms nothign worse then getting all tech talk if you don't understand .. i hope this helps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kustom is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
tiben
Registered Users

Buy the cheap Iwata´s HP-CS Eclipse are very good for general purpose painting etc. If you want to up a notch then aim for the hpC range and If you are up for eyelashes on ants then the Custom Micron series are the range.

And if you want the best there is available for money then spend 300 $ on a Richpen Mojo from Mike Learn. www.learnairbrush.com

Good luck.

Regards.

Lars
tiben is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
justind123
Registered Users

I Ran into this problem myself.... I first purchase a airbrush with the airbrush compressor. What i found was that it worked alright but if you wanted to be able to do full paint jobs using bases and clears.. i wouldnt be able to use this.. I ended up buying a small 3 gallon compressor for my hvlp (larger gun) and just regulated the pressures for the air brush connections. I bought a Paasche Talon... its really nice but i heard iwata eclipse brushes are really really nice.....

my $.02
justind123 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #7
amazingman
Registered Users

I would recomend a Iwata eclipe hp-cs or the hp-ch for very fine detail work. Iwata is the best!
amazingman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
altrcmexico
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I recommend Iwata Eclipse-CS
I've made some very good jobs with this one

here's an example:
http://hrcmexico.com/uploads/3/P1010010_reduc.JPG
altrcmexico is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
Farrell
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Anyone here that uses an Iwata and has used a Talon before? Can you elaborate as to why one is better than the other?

-Farrell
Farrell is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
halley
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had spitting problems with a cheapie Badger kit with an air can. The paint was too thick, I now realize. It was also not a dual-action brush, so control was nil.

I just got a Master Model gravity-feed with a compressor and water trap regulator, a kit from Amazon. Still not an expensive model but I'll try it out soon. Considering I'll only be doing airbrushing very seldom, I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on it. Damn kit didn't even have the right hose connection at the brush end, a ruse to get me to buy a quick-release connection I'm sure.
halley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Scottydog
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just got the HPC + as recommended, it just came in and I am looking forward to using it!
Scottydog is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques

Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques Painting and Airbrushing Tips / Techniques