Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
egiraldo911
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Starter shaft getting stuck to clutch. Motor would not turn.

I was wondering if someone has had this problem before with the starter shaft. I recently put my first Nitro together, and after many hours of building and seting up, I was ready to start the engine. Everything was built to the specifications and to previous experience. In other words, everything was aligned correctly. However, when I cranked the starter I very soon realized something was wrong. The starter kicked back and came off the coupling. What happened? Well, for some reason the motor would not turn. The whole thing got stuck. I was able to loosen it up again and try a couple more times. Nothing. Same thing. It would turn just a bit and then get stuck again. Finally I decided to take the thing apart and found the shaft stuck solid inside the one way bearing of the clutch. I could not get it off. I checked the motor to see if it would turn and yes it did. It was easy to turn. Has anyone had this problem before? I would really appreciated any responses. Thanks.
egiraldo911 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
N0FEAR
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by egiraldo911 View Post
I was wondering if someone has had this problem before with the starter shaft. I recently put my first Nitro together, and after many hours of building and seting up, I was ready to start the engine. Everything was built to the specifications and to previous experience. In other words, everything was aligned correctly. However, when I cranked the starter I very soon realized something was wrong. The starter kicked back and came off the coupling. What happened? Well, for some reason the motor would not turn. The whole thing got stuck. I was able to loosen it up again and try a couple more times. Nothing. Same thing. It would turn just a bit and then get stuck again. Finally I decided to take the thing apart and found the shaft stuck solid inside the one way bearing of the clutch. I could not get it off. I checked the motor to see if it would turn and yes it did. It was easy to turn. Has anyone had this problem before? I would really appreciated any responses. Thanks.
Did you lube the one way bearing before you assembled it.

CurtisYoungblood.com - Field Rep.
N0FEAR is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
egiraldo911
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I just put a couple drops of oil. But, still, it did not feel good from the beginning. It was hard to turn it even clockwise. It felt sticky, but, I checked the bearings and they are good. I checked the connection of the shaft and the clutch and it was good before I put it in the heli. I think I am going to try a new clutch and shaft. Thanks.
egiraldo911 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
N0FEAR
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by egiraldo911 View Post
I just put a couple drops of oil. But, still, it did not feel good from the beginning. It was hard to turn it even clockwise. It felt sticky, but, I checked the bearings and they are good. I checked the connection of the shaft and the clutch and it was good before I put it in the heli. I think I am going to try a new clutch and shaft. Thanks.
Use grease on the one way bearings. It will lube better and last longer.
Save the oil for lubing the main and tail shafts.

CurtisYoungblood.com - Field Rep.
N0FEAR is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
chadjay
Registered Users

My HF Map location

From the sound of it you might have hydro-locked the motor too? Just remove the glow plug to let out excess fuel. Or, turn the heli on its side with muffler down. I always leave the fuel line closed until just before I hit the start button.
chadjay is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.