Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
nwmtech

My HF Map location
Default Understanding remote gyro gain/function on CPP2

Sorry for the basic question but I'm really confused about the remote function on the 110 Gyro. If I'm understanding correctly it has standard rate and heading hold capabilities. With the yellow remote wire unplugged it's in heading hold all the time and the gain is adjusted via the manual gain control on the gyro itself. Correct so far? So my question is.... how do aftermarket transmitters not only switch between standard and heading hold but also set the gain via only one wire? I guess that also leads to why in the heck do they put a channel 5 gain knob on the stock transmitter if it isn't used for anything? Can I use it to adjust the gain on the gyro remotely? If not.. what would I use that fifth channel on a cp for?
nwmtech is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Quisp
Registered Users

The gyro will go into rate mode if you turn the screw down far enough on the gyro itself.
Same thing happens with the stock transmitter, if you connect the yellow wire, then the channel 5 setting will determine rate or hold mode.
In both cases, the amount of adjustment within a mode will determine the percentage of rate or hold mode too.
Nicer transmitters will let you set the actual percentage via a menu.

Hope this helps.
Quisp is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Bluerocktj
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was wondering about this too. I wanted to adjust the gyro gain with the knob on the stock tx. So is this the way to do it? Plug the yellow wire in ch 5 and adjust the knob on the tx?
Bluerocktj is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Quisp
Registered Users

Yes, plug the yellow wire in to the receiver. I don't have mine in front of me, but orient the plug so the yellow is with the other brightly colored wires. Up I think.
If when you go to lift off, the heli wants to spin, you will need to dial in more gain.
If you take off and it wags a lot, you need to turn it down some.
Seems like mine is at about the 2 o'clock position.
Probably should rebind when you plug the wire in also. Not sure if it is required, but it can't hurt.
I can't say that there is a great advantage to using the remote gain adjust, for me anyway. Once I have it where I like it, I generally don't move it.
But hey, it's another adjustment to tweak!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Bluerocktj
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool thanks! I just think it would be easier and more convenient to adjust the gain on the TX instead of the gyro itself (just my opinion though).
Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
cold duck
Registered Users

If the GT110 works like the G90, then the CH.5 knob will set the amount of Rate or Heading Hold gyro gain. Rate mode has a value of 0 to 50 while HH mode has a value of 51 to 100. All the way counterclockwise is zero and rate mode. All the way clockwise is 100 and HH mode. When adjusting your gain for HH mode, you want the knob set to left of center which is a value of 51 or better. When using a computer radio, these values will be a setting in the program menu. Once you realize the relationship of the rate and HH values, then it is only a matter of tuning it to your liking. Some pilots prefer rate mode gyro settings while others prefer HH. It is a matter of personal choice and flying styles but I believe most pilots prefer the HH mode. I certainly do. My Eflite G90 gyro rox on my BCPP.

~Quack
Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
nwmtech
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold duck View Post
If the GT110 works like the G90, then the CH.5 knob will set the amount of Rate or Heading Hold gyro gain. Rate mode has a value of 0 to 50 while HH mode has a value of 51 to 100. All the way counterclockwise is zero and rate mode. All the way clockwise is 100 and HH mode. When adjusting your gain for HH mode, you want the knob set to left of center which is a value of 51 or better. When using a computer radio, these values will be a setting in the program menu. Once you realize the relationship of the rate and HH values, then it is only a matter of tuning it to your liking. Some pilots prefer rate mode gyro settings while others prefer HH. It is a matter of personal choice and flying styles but I believe most pilots prefer the HH mode. I certainly do. My Eflite G90 gyro rox on my BCPP.

~Quack
That's the exact answer I was looking for. I was just trying to understand how they switched modes and percentages in each mode with only one wire. Makes total sense now though. I'll definitely be using HH mode because I'm still in the learning/hovering stage. So if the is in complete control of the tail then why does the 2-1 have a proportioning adjustement? I thought when you added the 110 to the 3-1 on the CP you turned the proportioning all the way down so why would this one need to be adjusted like it says in the manual? I'm not sure what exactly is so different but I just upgraded from a CP to a CPP2 (tons of interference on the FM in town) and I'm really struggling wiht the CPP2. I was at the point where I could easily pop the CP up into a nice stable hover every time. Was just starting to work on my T's. The CPP2 I can barely get to hover. Cyclic is wicked touchy even in LO rate mode and I'm struggling more with the tail than before. I'm kinda bummed because I thought the gryo would really be a big upgrade in stability but this one is just a lot harder for me to fly. Thanks a ton.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Quisp
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold duck View Post

~Quack
Left of center or right of center to adjust within HH mode? I thought it was right, but could be wrong.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
Quisp
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmtech View Post
That's the exact answer I was looking for. I was just trying to understand how they switched modes and percentages in each mode with only one wire. Makes total sense now though. I'll definitely be using HH mode because I'm still in the learning/hovering stage. So if the is in complete control of the tail then why does the 2-1 have a proportioning adjustement? I thought when you added the 110 to the 3-1 on the CP you turned the proportioning all the way down so why would this one need to be adjusted like it says in the manual? I'm not sure what exactly is so different but I just upgraded from a CP to a CPP2 (tons of interference on the FM in town) and I'm really struggling wiht the CPP2. I was at the point where I could easily pop the CP up into a nice stable hover every time. Was just starting to work on my T's. The CPP2 I can barely get to hover. Cyclic is wicked touchy even in LO rate mode and I'm struggling more with the tail than before. I'm kinda bummed because I thought the gryo would really be a big upgrade in stability but this one is just a lot harder for me to fly. Thanks a ton.
When you are ready, pick find yourself a DX6i or DX7 radio to use. You will be amazed at how much better the CP Pro2 flies with it. I don't know why, but it is significantly better.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Bluerocktj
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I just upgraded from a CP to a CPP2 (tons of interference on the FM in town) and I'm really struggling wiht the CPP2.
Interference??? A stock BCPP2 uses a Spektrum AR6100 2.4Ghz rx. Are you using the old rx from the CP?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
John Shipley
Registered Users

Quisp gave some really great advice on getting a DX 7 TX. I have flown CP's with all kinds of different set ups. I was never able to get the cp or pro or pro 2 to fly well using a stock tx and gyro....110 or 90. When I changed to the DX 7 and a futaba 401 gyro, It became almost as table as a 450 V2. I now have 2 cp pro 2's and one cp pro. I really love flying them now and they are super stable in a hover. The DX 7 allows you to dial in the exact movements you want on all of the electronics. It will also let you fly 20 different models. I resisted getting a DX 7 for a while, but it will be the best single investment you will make in heli's.... unless you have a little more $$ and want to get a 9303. I have a box full of old transmitters that came with various models.... the DX 7 replaced them all. J
John Shipley is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
cold duck
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Left of center or right of center to adjust within HH mode? I thought it was right, but could be wrong.
For my G90 gyro and stock BCPP TX, left of center for adjusting within rate mode. Right of center for adjusting HH mode. Sorry for the confusion, I was thinking right but my fingers typed left. D'oh!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #13
cold duck
Registered Users

Also, turn the knob more left for more Rate gain, more right for more HH gain. It can be confusing. The null zones are at the center for both modes. HOpe this helps!

~Quack
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
nwmtech

My HF Map location

That really was super helpfull. Yesterday I said what the heck and bought a Dx6i. Seems as though I've got all the settings and gyro adjusted properly for flight. Just need to figure out what's the best dual rates and expo for a beginner still in the hovering stages.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
cold duck
Registered Users

Lucky you. I'm still using a DX6, but it works!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Quisp
Registered Users

Quote:
That really was super helpfull. Yesterday I said what the heck and bought a Dx6i. Seems as though I've got all the settings and gyro adjusted properly for flight. Just need to figure out what's the best dual rates and expo for a beginner still in the hovering stages.
Here's a link to the PNP (plug and play) manual. It has settings for the DX6i.
Before you take off, double check the servos and swash plate are all moving in the correct direction. Seems like when I set up the DX7, there was something incorrect in the servo reverse screens or the swash mix. Just unplug the main and tail motors and move the sticks around to make sure they go the same directions the stock transmitter moved them.

I think you'll like the new radio.

Here's a link to another discussion on the DX6i and CP Pro 2
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1020594

Last edited by Quisp; 08-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #17
nwmtech

My HF Map location

Thanks. It's all up and running now. Super happy with this radio. Spektrum is really easy and quick to adjust and the heli is FAR better to handle than it was. The new radio helped push me over the "learning to hover" hump.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #18
cold duck
Registered Users

A good computer radio is well worth the expense in my opinion! It can be a pain to figure out how to set it up and program it properly. Spektrum's data sheets are great. I have one for each of my birds.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
nwmtech

My HF Map location

It's kinda funny because when I first set it up I had the dual rates functional and setup around 80 w/30 expo. Over the course of three batteries I kept cranking it up higher and higher. Last battery was at 100/0 and it felt perfectly stable. I think I'll just set it at 70/0 and 100/0 and leave it. That way I can get the first couple minute "jitters" out with it at 70/0 then switch it over to 100/0.

I setup my friends Futaba yesterday for a Blade 400. He's a far more experienced pilot than I (normally flys a Raptor) but because of a scuba diving accident struggles with understanding all the terms and settings. We get a pretty good kick out of the fact that I can't fly worth a crap yet but can fix/tweak/setup all our birds and he can fly great but couldn't even tell you what expo was. Funny how things work out like that.

BTW... that Futaba was WAY more of a pain to setup than the Spektrum. Spektrum's menus are much easier and faster to navigate imho.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others