Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
sethf8403
Registered Users

Default leveling swash plate

i have been doing a ton of research today on how to level swash plates, and i have a little swash leveling tool, i have my servo arms at 90% (mechanical, and subtrim) when the stick is at 50% and my swash plate perfectly level.

however when i go to 0% or 100% i notice that my elevator servo is not moving in the full range that the others are, at 0% it's higher than the others and at 100% it's lower than the others, all my travel ranges are at 100%, i changed elevator to 125% to try and fix the fact that my elevator servo isn't traveling enough but it's not helping enough.

how do i increase the travel range of my elevator so that my swash stays level at 0%, 50% and 100%????
sethf8403 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
FBC
Registered Users

Are you using stock servos and DX6i?
Is your Dx6i for recall? Check your travel servos with the monitor function in the Tx.

Are the three cyclic servos identical? If it is so, I think you have a defective servo.

Try to change that servo to another position (from elevator to aileron). If the servo does the same thing in the new position, I think is defective.

If it looks good at the new position, and the incoming servo in elevator does the same that the other, then the problem is in the TX.

That's my suggestion. Good luck
FBC is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
brian800
Registered Users

Seth
Check out this great e-book on leveling the Blade 400 swash plate http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/swashplate-setup.html Loads of great info. Well worth the $9.95.

The whole www.rchelicopterfun.com site is loaded with great stuff. It really helped me. Hope it helps you.
Brian
Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
sethf8403
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

no they are brand new hs 65"s turns out most of the problem was that my elevator servo arm was too short, i wasn't getting the full range of motion, that helped a lot. I am currently watching sokal's head setup videos on youtube and they are a big help, however i'm wondering if it all applies to cnc heads as well.

for instance, i lowered my swash mix from 76% to 60 percent across the board because i was getting so much travel, my swashplate would bind against the top of the head at 100% throttle and be almost touching the main shaft lock bolt thing at 0%. it seems like the copter x has more room to play with than the stock one, no matter what i set it at the swash has full movement with no servo arm scraping.

to be honest i don't remember how much swash travel i had on my stock setup but it still feals like i have a lot, more with my new servo's and head. and according to sokal"s video i need to lower my swash even more so that the little pins on the head don't stick out at full throttle.

has anyone set up a copterx head on a b400? someone who could give me numbers as too how long the links ended up being?just something for me to start with, my bird has been down for two days while i try and figure this out and it's driving me nuts! i need to finish tuning her so i can test out all the new stuff i bought for it this weekend!!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Buffaloirish
Registered Users

Hey there, I have a suggestion. I used the 65MGs on my 450 pro build and because of the tight quarters on the pro along with the jumbo HiTec servo arms, I had to chop enough of my elevator servo to only leave me 2 hole for the push rod. Well on the Pro that's behind the main shaft, pitch and aileron ended up perfect on the third hole out but elevator ended up on the second hole out which caused a major travel difference and unlevel swash. I went to the Travel Adjustment menu on the DX6i and bumped Elevator to 125% both ways thus increasing it's ATV and all was well. Try it if you haven't already, totally fixed the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Buffaloirish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
neilg.

move servo horn on elevator a few teeth and play with endpoint again?
neilg. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
jteee
Registered Users

I edited my post to show that I had been corrected on a mistake I had made.
Again, my apologies, Brian

Last edited by jteee; 10-01-2009 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: I'm a dumb*ss
jteee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
sethf8403
Registered Users

i ended up grabbing another servo horn and using the next set of holes out, i went smaller because the lower link was coming close to the gear but i still had room to spare. anyways after spending about 4 hours i had the head perfectly trimmed all over.

the day before i tried it and it was vibrating so terribly i shut it down right away. after working on it till 4:30 am(sokal's vids playing the entire time)i tested it and it was more solid and smooth than it has ever been since i bought it! thanks all for your help.

however, i have it set so that i have zero pitch at half throttle, and negative at zero, i'm not sure if my pitch is too high or what but when i held it above me and spooled it up before i didn't have a lot of downward push. now i have a ton, then it hits midpoint and goes up strongly from there. i was a little scared how fast it jumped into the air.

i almost wanna say it had even pitch at zero before by the feal of it but i'm not sure. anybody have any idea how it's set for stock?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
sethf8403
Registered Users

ok so after a little research into my manual i find that the -10-0-10 curve is for stunt mode! no wonder it's acting like that, i didn't realize that the pitch curve for normal mode starts at 35%, which explains why i had way too much negative pitch at low collective...wow i learned a lot tonight...
Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
neilg.

seth, i believe you set head up at 50% in your radio in idle up. that's why i set my idle up to 50% across the board wheni did it.

i could be wrong. i hope others will help.

the linkeages always come close to the gears.

here's one i have read and it doesn't have to apply to a specific heli, ccpm is ccpm
http://www.helihobby.com/html/helico...cpm_setup.html

here's another i keep in my favorites
http://www.racetronicsfabricating.co...on%20Sheet.htm

for me it is 1/4 reading and 3/4 experimenting
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
FlyAndFix
Registered Users

My HF Map location

On mine, Hi tec 65mg My aileron sevo was traveling farther than the elevator and pitch servos both directions. Causing the head to be level at 50% but low left at 0% high left at 100% trottle stick positions. my fix was a small decrease in travel dowm to 88% travel. Now the head stays level though out it's full range. I'm sure there is a better way but it worked for me.
FlyAndFix is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
gunkle
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also used the travel adjust to fix leveing issues with my B400. Minor adjustment seemed to solve my leveling issues.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Buffaloirish
Registered Users

+1

during my 450 Pro build I thought I was screwed, went from 100% - 125% on the elevator and all is well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Buffaloirish is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
sethf8403
Registered Users

it was a helluva learning process, leveling the swash, then the carrage links, then the flybar linkages, then getting exactly zero pitch on the blades, if your off by just one turn of one ball link in the whole head, the blades wont come out even, after a few hours with my new align pitch gauge and a mini level, i have the head as perfect as humanly possible. -10-0-10 on the nose. everything was balanced perfectly, head and tail taken apart and rebuilt with thread lock. it was a fine tuned machine, for about 3 lipos till a gust of wind blew it into the side of my car....

i bent a feathering shaft, and after calling every hobby shop in minnesota metro area i have come to the result that none of them have any trex 450 se v2 spindles in stock. ordered some from an online shop that usually delivers extremely fast and asked for overnight shipping but because of this oversight all my hard work has ended me up on the bench till the weekend at the earliest:-(

Last edited by sethf8403; 09-30-2009 at 09:32 PM..
Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
FlyAndFix
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thought you were flying a B400?
FlyAndFix is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
gunkle
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAndFix View Post
Thought you were flying a B400?
Copter-X head
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #17
ingrahal
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteee View Post
I realize you are trying to help, but is it wise to post a link, with praise, to another forum in a post. I think a PM would have been more appropriate.
I could be wrong. No disrespect intended.
Again, any helpfull input is usually accepted, just wondering.
The reference is to a .com website with tons of good info on the Blade 400 not a forum. I see nothing wrong with that. I bought the e-book and learned a lot.
ingrahal is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
sethf8403
Registered Users

it's ok, i didn't mind, though if any of you fellas decide to tune up your heads, (aluminum or plastic) i would HIGHLY recommend SOKAL'S youtube video tutorial, it's 4 parts, about 45 min total, he takes you step by step through the whole process on a fairly stock blade 400. And he is a highly regarded member of this forum. it definately helped me a ton.

i ordered a sixpack of v2 spindles from tesla r/c, they are based out of chicago which is pretty close to me and have a reputation for super fast shipping and customer service. placed my order a few hours ago and i already have a tracking number!! i ordered a couple 2200 lipo's (23 bucks shipped each! WOOT!) on monday from them and i got them today so i'm hoping to get my spindles on saturday. till then i'm just going to have to further tweak my B-rex into total perfection to pass the time.

At least i have an excuse to stop by the lhs again tomorow, to return the two packs of trex pro spindles i bought.(much to long)lol and bogart their flight sim.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #19
neilg.

hours to set-up, destruction in 3 seconds

it's fun Seth

should have seen my b400 on the roof of my porch once
Old 10-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
jteee
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrahal View Post
The reference is to a .com website with tons of good info on the Blade 400 not a forum. I see nothing wrong with that. I bought the e-book and learned a lot.
Bro....thanks for setting me straight. I was opening several sites at once and mistook that to be another forum.

My apologies to the orignial member who posted the link.

Anyways, it's good to know that I can count on someone to show the err of my ways.
jteee is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400

Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters