Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
FurryTrex
Registered Users

Default Will FBL system help with nose forward flight?

I am a newbie to helis, and after about 1 month I can fly with the tail pointed any direction, except away from me(nose towards me). I want to get the flybarless system and just curious if this will help me learn basic flight faster...(short of getting a simulator)

thanks
FurryTrex is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Big Fil
Registered Users

My HF Map location

IMHO, no it will not. At this point I would save the $$ you would spend on a FBL system a simulator and crash parts.

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
kaon
Registered Users

How big is your heli?
I do not think a FBL system will help you learn nose-in. A simulator is much better for that purpose.
Perhaps you are thinking of flight stabilization (like Gyrobot900's beginner mode, or Helicommand and other auto-levelling electronics). These may help... but is just an expensive way to go...
kaon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Big Fil
Registered Users

My HF Map location

For learning how to fly, a sim will teach you sooo much more than a FBL/stabilization system ever will. I'm a big believer in FBL systems but I don't think they are where a new flyer should be looking to for learning how to fly IMO.

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
BOOGIE
Registered Users

You still have to fly the thing flybarless just make the heli fly better
BOOGIE is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
flatin
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryTrex View Post
I am a newbie to helis, and after about 1 month I can fly with the tail pointed any direction, except away from me(nose towards me). I want to get the flybarless system and just curious if this will help me learn basic flight faster...(short of getting a simulator)
I find a fbl heli to be easier to fly. It's more like flying on rails. But you still got to fly it. A simulator is gold. A free one like FMS or Helisim will help a lot. A USB-cable can be bought for 10$.
flatin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Slyster
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I flew my friends 450Pro FBL yesterday... besides being SUPER stable and tracked like on RAILS (!)... it was no 'easier' to fly at all. Even a bit twitchier.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Pellicle
Registered Users

I agree with above posts that a simulator is best and cheapest to learn orientation and hover in. Even though you need to shell out a little for a good sim you will spend far less on repairs and more time actually learning and flying.

FBL per se will not help an lot. You can make a a good FBL unit very stable, resistant to wind and outside influences but you still have to fly and if you give the wrong stick input - the most common mistake when learning orientation - you will crash. Something like the Flymentor or Helicomand can help in this respect as these systems self right but again a sim is cheaper and you will learn much faster because you will not be afraid and will not need to rebuild every crash.
Pellicle is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
jockstrap
Registered Users

Yep - forget flybarless for the moment...

Wow - learning nose-in after a month is a mean feat.. I didn;t learn that for 1.5yrs.. but then I'm an old fart!

When you say you can fly in all directions - does that include HOVERING ? If you can hover forward, 45 and 90 degrees left an right then you are indeed ready for nose -in. If you just fly those directions, then keep learning the hovering first.

As others have stated, get a sim to practice on for even a few hours to get used to nose-in. Then hover at height and perform quick 180 degree piros and try to balance nose-in for 1 second, then piro back to tail-in. Keep doing this and gradually pause nose-in longer and longer till you are hovering fine nose-in.
DX7 Mode-1 | 450 pro 6s | 450 pro | Schweizer 300C Gasser Scale | T-Rex550e | Aeolus 50 | HeliX T-Rex700 fbl Gasser | HWC600 Gasser | Henseleit MPXLe | Henseleit 3DNT | Suzi-Janis 700 | Gaui NX4 | Gaui X5 | Blade 350QX
jockstrap is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X