Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
bronicabill
Registered Users

Default Raptor Titan 50 SE vs Align T-Rex 600n

I am getting ready to order a new .50-size machine and am really stuck making a decision between the two subject machines! They both have good reasons to purchase; excellent reputation, lots of local owners/fliers for support, excellent local parts supply, good value for the money, etc.

The main part I'm struggling with is whether the T-Rex 600n is worth the approximately $100.00 extra that it costs? If so, why? If not, why not?

Just as a bit of extra info, I am NOT a 3D pilot and really don't care if I ever am. I may like to try some flips and stuff sometime, so would prefer a machine that can do 3D if I wanted to, but my primary flying is basic sport stuff and simple aerobatics like loops, rolls, split-S's, etc. I currently fly a T-Rex 450 and T-Rex 250, and have owned and flown several nitro machines in the past such as the original Raptor 30, GMP Cobra, etc.

One other thing, I'm fairly set on using an OS .50 Hyper in whatever I buy, plus my JR X9303 DSM2 radio with 9-ch Rx and HiTec servos.

Thanks in advance for any advice regarding this subject!
T-Rex 600N Pro, miniTitan E360
bronicabill is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
CAP21
Registered Users

Titan. It's new, different, solid and isn't everywhere. Seems like anywhere I go there's a 600. Not that it's a bad thing but I think Titan is more exciting...
CAP21 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
fadi
Registered Users

I personally prefer the Titan as well.
Get the Raptor 50 Titan SE, it comes pretty complete
Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Ahhhh.... just a comment there and this has nothing to do with which is a better heli.

There was a day 3-4 years ago where Raptor parts could be had anywhere and everywhere. Not true anymore. Now Align parts are in that category and can be had anywhere and everywhere. Well you know what I mean.....

Anyway consider your choice also based on getting parts. Myself, I do like to be able to go to my LHS and get a freakin $10 simple part when I need to rather than wait several days and pay shipping on a simple cheap part. If you don't care about that, then pick one that you like!

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Lota Fun R
Registered Users

Either will be great, there are also some other 50 size to consider also.

Compass Knight50

Audacity Pantera 50, two for $300 bux is hard to resist.

And there are others I've left out.

I have a Trex 600N and it can fly mild or wild depending on how you set it up.

When I first started flying mine I set it up mild and it was too mild, some tweaks here and there and change main blades to radix SBs and it's right there with all the other 3D capable heli's.
I had the Century 610mm FIA main blade at first and they have the CG further out thus making it more stable.
I also had on somewhat heavy flybar paddles.

I think with the Trex there is a lot of information and a lot of people flying them at any given field and that is the main reason I went with the Trex, that and it's a proven performer.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
LITHIUMSTATIC
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
Ahhhh.... just a comment there and this has nothing to do with which is a better heli.

There was a day 3-4 years ago where Raptor parts could be had anywhere and everywhere. Not true anymore. Now Align parts are in that category and can be had anywhere and everywhere. Well you know what I mean.....

Anyway consider your choice also based on getting parts. Myself, I do like to be able to go to my LHS and get a freakin $10 simple part when I need to rather than wait several days and pay shipping on a simple cheap part. If you don't care about that, then pick one that you like!

Bob
I agree Bob. My LHS carries all TT stuff so if you live in Tyler TX then TT may be for you.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Blades345
Registered Users

I have a Raptor 50 Titan Se and love it. My LHS is now stocked with parts again for it and I have to tell you, the Titan is more reliable when it comes to things not breaking. I have people at my field that are tired of their Align 600 and 700 breaking parts. The Titan is a very well built heli and for the price, you just can't beat it. I would go with the Titan.

No helis right now! Maybe I'll be back in another year!
Blades345 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
bronicabill
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Since my LHS carries most of the parts for both helis (probably more Align than anything else, but still plenty Raptor stuff also), repair parts is not really an issue for me. I'm definitely leaning towards the Raptor Titan SE now, but will wait until I see a few more replies before I "pull the trigger" and place an order.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
forvols
Registered Users

Location: Resaca Ga - approx 45 miles South of Chattanooga, TN

Ford / Chevy pick the one you like and buy it. I don't have the Titan SE,but do have the Titan 50 and love it. I've got a buddy with a Trex 600n and I love it too. I like the look of the 600n over my raptor (I'm still not sure about the Titan SE canopy), but I like the lower purchase price of my Raptor. I don't think you can make a wrong decision between the two. To be honest, I agree that the list in the .50 size machine is not limited to the Raptor and 600N. The Knight and theSDX owners are very happy with their decisions. I read more rave reviews of the Pantera than bad ones andI agree that the current offer of 2 for $300 is hard to ignore.

Eh.. pick the one you think you like the best and purchase it from a shop that you can get great support from and do it.
forvols is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Sonic_BOOMER_SOONER
Registered Users

You get the idea....check you local hobby shop(s) for parts stock and see what the folks at your local fields are flying then decide. There's nothing wrong with being the only one in your area flying a type of heli, in fact I think that's cool. But, are you ready to go it alone? Do what you're comfortable doing.

Another quick point, $100 is a drop in the bucket compared to what you're going to spend on a 50, trust me! I've seen them both fly and they are both worthy, as are the Knight and Vibe. You can't go wrong. Get what you want, you'll spend a small fortune over the next year regardless.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Lota Fun R
Registered Users

If I wasn't such a broke bastard I would have the Pantera 50 sitting here. Uh, make that two sitting here.

I really like the fact you can put a .91 in it without mods. And the air cleaner, that's cool too.

Just so you know, I have a Raptor 90 too. I'm not anti TT/Raptor, in fact, I have a soft spot for them. But I"m currently flying Align heli's. I have a Vibe 90 almost ready and the Raptor 90 mothballed. The Raptor will fly again.

I remember when I was choosing between 50s it was hard to sway me away from the Trex, Knight 50 was the other I was looking at, the TT50 wasn't even in the picture.

At this point, I would give the Pantera a good long look before passing it over.

If you're not into hardcore 3D then any of these will work for you. The Vibe 50 is a sweet heli too. But on the spendy side.

I expect to see a report when you maiden which ever one you choose!

In the end, I can't see that you will go wrong no matter what heli you decide on.

Edit....definately check around, there are some really great deals to be had on the Trex 600, combo deals for less than 1300 less RX.

Add another $500 on to that and I'll sell you my T600N less RX. Ya, $1300 is a smokin deal.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
windshear
Registered Users

I have both. For the type of flying your talking about I think you will be happy the T-Rex. It rolls like it is on a string. It makes huge loops and autos great. I fairness my Titian Se is still break-in. The Titian responds right now. From what I've seen so far it's a 3D machine. It pitches slightly in rolls. Collective is sensitive. It is pitchy in FFF since it doesn't have a horizontal fin. The 53 redline has a ton of power. The servos in my Titian are .14 compared to my T-Rex that is .22 so take that in to consideration. Both are great.
windshear is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
shynsly
Registered Users

Default no century fans?

I am by NO means an expert, especially considering the experts who've already given you their solid opinions here... but I have to throw in my two cents cuz I'm in the same situation you are, getting ready to step up from a 450 to .50, and from the sounds of it, we do about the same kind of flying... and I haven't seen anyone mention the Century 50NX... been doing a lot of homework on it lately, and it's what I'm leaning towards.

Not gonna get two for $300 like the Pantera, but it's still a deal compared to the Align and Raptor, especially considering the included pipe and Rotortech blades. Not an "explosive 3d machine"... but "smooth, graceful, and responsive" as per RCHeli mag and a number of owners I've talked to now... local parts availibility might be a problem... but that's not really an issue for me cuz I live out in da sticks wid da hicks, so I have to get everything online, anyways, lol. Just MHO
Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
fastflyer20
Registered Users

Check out the Trex 600 Limited Edition. I am thinking on getting one to add to my 600np.
flyhelisrus has them for $788. The LE is a package that includes cyclic servos, gyro and servo, blades and all metal. The align electronics are fast and good. This is a brand new package they are offering. A friend just got the 700 LE and it is NICE. Align is being very aggressive, to me it looks like the best value out there.
fastflyer20 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #15
NitroAl
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Klone 50 from Helikraft would be my next one if MA don't get it together!
Ely.Q Vision 50
NitroAl is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #16
bronicabill
Registered Users

After much personal debate, and considering all suggestions given here, I have put the Titan 50 SE on order, and it will hopefully be here within a week. Now to finish organizing my new workshop so it can go straight onto the building table when it arrives! :-)
Old 10-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
Blades345
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronicabill View Post
After much personal debate, and considering all suggestions given here, I have put the Titan 50 SE on order, and it will hopefully be here within a week. Now to finish organizing my new workshop so it can go straight onto the building table when it arrives! :-)
Good choice, your going to love it! You have to post pics of course when its done and let us know what you think!

No helis right now! Maybe I'll be back in another year!
Blades345 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #18
LowAnSlow
Registered Users

I'm looking at the same comparison... The thing that makes me shy away from the 600n is the cost of the frames... How often do they break?
LowAnSlow is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
rotortech5150
Registered Users

Great choice!!! And trust me, you will have no trouble getting/finding parts at all.
rotortech5150 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #20
bronicabill
Registered Users

Picked up the Titan SE at my LHS yesterday, and after much internal debate a TT Redline 53 to go in it. I sure hope the engine wasn't a poor choice, but other than potential carburetor issues it should be a good, very strong running engine! I hand selected the engine by choosing the one with the smoothest moving throttle barrel, and hopefully there will be no sticky throttle issues like some other folks have had.

Now if I can just decide which servos to go with. I'm torn between the Align DS610 vs two models of HiTec servos with similar specs. I'm leaning towards the DS610... I just they prove to be reliable. I'm not the type to crash very often (last heli crash was over 3 years ago), and I would hate to plant the new Titan SE because a servo crapped out on me. If money were no object I'd go with JR DS8717's, but they're twice the price of the DS610. Four of them would cost more than I gave for the Titan kit AND the engine combined! Ouch!!!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please