START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim

Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Trajan
Registered Users

Default Walkera 4G3 or 4G6?

Hi everyone, I bought Phoenix a few weeks ago and so far I'm having a blast with it (I highly recommend it to anyone lurking here who is thinking about buying a simulator - it's so much fun!).

So far my only real-world experience is with my Walkera 4G3, so it's great to feel how much better the bigger birds fly (at least in the sim). Still, I'd like to be able to practice with something really squirrely and I'm wondering if there are any other micro-heli pilots out there who have tweaked one of the Phoenix models to fly like a Walkera 4G3 or 4G6 (which will probably be my next purchase). I haven't tried tweaking anything yet myself - I've been having too much fun flying the T-Rex 600 and others - so I don't even know where to begin. The smaller CP models are closer to what I'm looking for, but still too stable. Basically I want something that refuses to stay still, won't hold a heading, and has an under-powered and sluggish tail rotor ;-)

Any tips or settings would be much appreciated. Cheers
Trajan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
nyc863
Registered Users

My HF Map location

just a dumb question but why stick your hand in the fire twice. Yes, the walkeras are squirrely. So why do you persist with them and especially why do you want to mimic bad behavior in a sim? spend your money, no more needed, on a clone 450.
disclaimer: I owned a 4g3 for a short while and hated it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<--- check out my fleet get your fleet online
nyc863 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Whopper
Registered Users

Hi Trajan,

try this one, I think its pretty close to how I have gotten my 4G3 to fly after converting it to brushless main and brushless tail motors and spending some time carefully setting it up. For more of a trainer setup change the pitch range in the Edit Model section of the Sim, open up the Main Rotor section and change the pitch to -3 at low, 4.5 at mid and 9 at full collective. For a challenge after you get comfortable with it try some wind.
Unzip the file into My Documents/PhoenixRC/Variants and select the variant with the little dropdown tab next to the Spark heli in the Training section of the Helicopter group in the sim.

Also I agree with nyc863, get a clone 450 instead of a 4G6. Much much nicer to fly, and more versatile too.

Matt.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spark_4G3_Dbl_Bls.zip (1.2 KB, 184 views)
Whopper is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Trajan
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks, Whopper, I'll check out your variant. I'm already enjoying your fixed-wings :-)

I will probably move up to larger helis eventually, but small size is important for me now because I work in remote mineral exploration camps (where, incidentally, my daily commute to the mountains is in a Hughes 500D - one of the perks of the job!). Traveling to camp, my heli, and Tx need to fit in my carry-on luggage along with my laptop, cameras, and anything else I don't want the baggage throwers to destroy en route.

As for why I would want the simulator to mimic "bad behavior"... well... it's a simulator! I want it to simulate reality, and some models are inherently unstable, regardless of how they're set up. For better or worse, the 4g3 is what I've got. So far it's served me well - I taught myself to hover in my living room, and when I take it outside I can push past my skill level because crashing it in the grass causes no damage and if something does break, spare parts are dirt cheap. I don't think I would have progressed so quickly if I was afraid of crashing. If anyone invents a micro heli that handles like a 700, I'll be first in line to buy one, but until then...

Everyone over in the 4g6 forum seems to love that little heli, and judging by
, it's a major improvement over the 4g3. Plus, I just don't think a 450 would be safe to fly in my living room.

Thanks again :-)
Trajan is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Phoenix Flight Sim

Phoenix Flight Sim Phoenix Flight Sim