Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCX

mCX Blade (eFlite) Micro CX Helicopters Information and Help

Old 01-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Shixapatrol
Registered Users

Default Necessity makes a stronger Blade.

So the day before New Years, I install the Cusker 19mm mod on my MCX, and within one minute, I crash it into a wall and break a flybar because I'm not used to how much faster it is. Ok...so I go to the store, grab a flybar, and in my head I'm thinking, you should probably get a set of upper blades, because the break every 10-20 crashes...short story, I walk in the store, no one helps me for like 10 minutes, the guy who does help me doesn't know where the parts are, I finally get a flybar and forget the set of upper blades. I get home, put in the new flybar, and zip around the house for about 3 batteries....this heli is so much better/faster/responsive with this mod and the pen spring. After the house gets to confining, because I cant get up to top speed else crash into a wall, I decide to take it out side. I've flown this heli outside many times before the mod and know thats its really really under powered out there in any sort of breeze, after the mod however, its a lot better, I flew today in 4mph winds at my park and with some concentration, was able to bring the heli back to me upwind from 50-60 feet. So I'm at the park, its New Years day (Today) and I lose control some how, not sure what happened, maybe a flybar strike (I havn't cut mine down yet) and of course, what do I break, the upper friggin blades that I forgot to buy, and of couse it being New Years, NO hobby stores are open, trust me I know, I called them all. So I'm completely Jonesing to fly, and I remember from a previous thread that someone drilled little holes in their blades, and used blade screws once...I checked my drill kit and didn't have anything that small but desparate to fly this thing today, decided to try melting a screw into the blade, some how at the right angle. I miraculously pulled it off, with pliers in one hand and the blade in the other, and the fly bar works great. I did have an issues with the flybar connecting rod slipping off the screw, so I heated up and straighted a small paper clip and melted the top inside and outside of the connecting rod so it can't slip out. I believe this it the strongest way to deal with these weak ball links on the blades aside from inserting a bigger screw. I'll let you know how long this rigging lasts for. Here's some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	131695   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	131696   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	131697  
Shixapatrol is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Shixapatrol
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Crashed all day, and broke everything but the blade screw attachment.

So I've been ragging on this heli all day now, damage includes broken canopy mounts, deformed servo gear (which I straightened with a sharp steak knife), displaced motor and displaced outer shaft ( knocked the whole top bearing out)...But...no broken flybar screw mount. I straight up went into a nose dive from 40 feet up....and it did not break. Seemed to break everything else though. Got everything back together, sort of and am cruising the house. I'll re-post when I actually break it.
Shixapatrol is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Skyranger
Registered Users

Thumbs up screw job "blade"

I did the same thing, read it on this site a while back..works great. Heated a safty pin to get the hole and used a flybar tapered screw..like a wood screw. Been foolin around today.. This has been fun... It snowed on the coast "gulf "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silly Fun.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	131866   Click image for larger version

Name:	heli transport.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	131867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc's backyard.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	131868  
Skyranger is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Mooshu Beef
Registered Users

Great job there with the mod! Oh i know the heli fever is crazy, and I am glad it led you to a discovery

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCX

mCX Blade (eFlite) Micro CX Helicopters Information and Help