Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum

Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
wjvail
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Tail Gears

Howdy all... I've used the MA closed gearboxes for decades without problem and for the last couple of years had a open box on my Stratus. Yesterday while cruising around I started hearing a clicking sound. After landing I found the output gear on the tail had lost a tooth. It surprised me because I really was just tootling round at 1,450 rpm head speed watching the parts rotate. Yea I did some pirouetting but nothing like I've done in the past. Any ideas?

I've ordered a set of the "MA123-96 - MACHINED GEAR SET FOR OPEN CASE" ( http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/mer...&Category_Code= ) These are the right gears, correct?.?. Anyone had problems with the upgraded gears? Any advice for a long life?

I got lucky with this failure and landed without incident. And at close to $50.00 for a replacement set of gears I'd like to not have to buy these too often. I'm hoping someone tells me this is a one time, maintenance free, complete fix for this in-flight failure and I can fly reasonably assured I won't loose tail drive in flight. Any help?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	137671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	137672  

Last edited by wjvail; 02-08-2010 at 02:51 AM..
wjvail is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
wjvail
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Are those crickets chirping?

Last edited by wjvail; 02-10-2010 at 10:01 PM..
wjvail is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Laurens
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't seen this yet, because I'm almost only reading the electric section. I haven't had enough time on the new tailgears, but I've never had them break. So I think the new gears are a lot better so far.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
[X]Outlaw
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been using the new tail gears for a couple months now with no problems
[X]Outlaw is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Peter
Registered Users

Only times I've had that happen is after a tail blade and the planet have kissed ; even a gentle kiss has been enough too

I usually adjust the gear mesh after 3 flights with new gears , then forget about them !!
Peter .... Furion 6 FBL ; E,N and G Whiplash FBL ; 2 Spectra G FBL ; Stratus FBL ;MA Extreme+E Razor+N Razor +Fury 55 FBL;xcell 60+xcell 70: Aeolus KME 60 , TSA 700N ; TSA 600N Pro & Platinum ; All BeastX ; guided by XPS .
Peter is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
kenh
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It looks like the gear got hot enough to sort of melt????? I think we have gone backwards by going to an open gear case. I don't care what kind of material you use gears need some kind of lube. Even if they run dry some kind of cover seems like a good idea to keep the crud off of them. Dirt and grit gets embedded in the gear and then all you have is sandpaper.
kenh is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Brian James
Registered Users

The Machined Gears are much stronger. Make sure the gear mesh is set with zero backlash, and re-adjust after a few flights, and you should be good to go for a long time.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Miniature Aircraft Helicopters > MA Glow

MA Glow Miniature Aircraft Glow Helicopter Support Forum