Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger Electric Helis

Thunder Tiger Electric Helis Mini Titan E325, Raptor E550 and E620 SE Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raptor E-Heli-(s)

What size E-Raptors are in the works? Lipo options
Icenum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are two basic eRaptor models coming out later this month, the e550 and the e620SE. The main differences are the 620SE has CF side frames (vs aluminum for the 550...), the 620SE has the metal hub and other "SE" acoutraments and it will come with the Titan boom and belt so that it can run up to 620mm blades (TT has a new line of CF blades coming out around the same time, including a very nice set of 620s that are shaped like the CY Radix but a with a stiffness and chord width similar to the V-Blades...). Price isn't fixed yet but look for a "street" number under $600 for the 620SE kit.

There will be a great number of power choices because, unlike the TRex 600, the new eRaptor's have a great layout, with a huge battery tray/area, and the motor up "high and tight", just behind the main shaft. There is a new 111T main gear and the aluminum motor mount slides forward and backward, allowing lots of gearing choices. TT tested two setups in Taiwan this past August, with some pre-production models. One setup, which is really geared I think for the 550, used a Z-Power Z30-1100 and a FlightPower 6s-4900 Evo 20 pack. This did quite well, I'm told, and would "smoke" any TRex 600 6s setup.

For the 620SE, the hottest setup they tried was a Z50-770 motor and a Flight Power Evo 20 10s-3700 pack. This will be the "standard" 600-620 setup that most will use, I think. Power is awesome, easily hitting 3200-3300W peaks (or in "glow" terms, over 4 HP...) with a h/s around 2200 and +/- 13 degrees of pitch. In my 620SE I'm trying a Z50-600 and a 12s-3300 FP Evo 20 setup. I've only just got this in the air and haven't had time to really wring it out, but just doing a few quick "pops", I can tell already this has more power than any helicopter I've ever tested, in any size, and thos that know me know we've tested quite a few around these parts.

I plan on offering a number of package deals for the 620SE-based kits. Until I know the final pricing on the kits, I don't know what the final package prices will be, but a Z50/Phx HV 85 combo should only add about $250 to the street price of the kit. And a combo that includes a FP 10s-3700 pack will be around $500.

Eventually there will be a conversion kit, to convert an existing Raptor, but I don't expect we will see those before the start of next year. No idea what that will cost either.

For those that want to convert their existing Raptors, I'm offering a new package deal that includes a special version of the Z50, designed specifically to fit the Raptor frames, a Phx HV-85, the R30 86T main gear, a 45V/5V UBEC and the weight saving eCCPM conversion kit for $399. You can add a 10s-3700 FP Evo 20 NF pack for only another $300 (which saves $94 over the regular price for this pack....). http://www.tppacks.com/products.asp?cat=17

I'll post some pics of my 620SE setup in a new thread in the next day, or so.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Pricing

The street price for the E 620 se will be 490.00 at www.eastcoastextremehelis.com
Old 10-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

And the dealer wars are on...
Motions is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

not really at all but thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Alright!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Both of you have helped me out so I don't have a favorite.

Gary, the Z50 seems to be doing nice. Still have yet to punch it though. The install is so precise, perfect mesh gap.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll probably come close to that number as well. In addition, I will offer combo deals with a Z50A motor and a Phoenix HV-85 controller for $749, and one that includes both those items and 10s-3700 Flight Power Evo 20 "New Formulation" for $999.

Check out the video of Ron Sebastian flying his pre-production e620SE with an older version of the Z50-770 and a 10s-3300 FP pack here: http://www.tppacks.com/video/raptor-e620-tt.wmv. The new Z50A-800 (kV: 790...) has a new fan and a redesigned core that reduces the current used by 20%. The net result is even better performance, if you can imagine that.

I will also have a "competition" power package based on the new Z50A-600 (kV: 570...), the Phx HV-85 and a 12s-3300 FP Evo 20 setup. As I said above, this is what is in my e620SE right now. I will try and post some videos of this flying this weekend.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Looking forward to seeing the vids Gary!!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello Gary, I don't know you so I don't mean to sound pushy... but it's Monday here... the weekends over... got any E-Raptor video??? :mrgreen:
FlyingSquirrel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel
Hello Gary, I don't know you so I don't mean to sound pushy... but it's Monday here... the weekends over... got any E-Raptor video??? :mrgreen:
Sorry, no video just yet. We finally got this in the air yesterday, but had a couple of problems that caused forced autos. The first was caused when one of the leads was pulled from the ET flight data recorder. The second happened when the tail slider ball came out of its socket. This happened because the slider arm and the servo arm weren't perfectly aligned. Anyway, had some minor damage on the second auto. That will keep this grounded for a few days, untill I have time to replace a couple of things (ovals, flybar, spindle and boom...).

Here's some shots from yesterday:

In addition to the 15s a123 M1 setup, shown in these pics, I also put in a 12s-3300 FlightPower Evo 20 configuration. Unfortunately, I didn't get much actual flight time with either one.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

I read a hint disappointment in your post... sorry if I was rubbing salt in a fresh wound... but it's just my excitement about the ERaptors.
The Trex600 or ERaptors sound like my best options (come late Oct. of course) so I'm just info hungry. Glad to see it wasn't anything major for repairs... if I had to auto I think a shovel would be required to get all of my heli back! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the pics, they helped! :glasses2:
FlyingSquirrel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I was disappointed and frustrated, as both instances that caused the autos were completely avoidable, and nothing related to the e620SE. We had a time issue because we have to quit flying around noon at the field we fly at, as the gliders up on the hill take over. Because of that, I rushed through getting at least one test done with the 12s-3300 setup. My intent was to then go back and do another with the 15s M1 setup, but we didn't get a chance.

I'll get this back in the air later this week and can then hopefully post some videos and FDR data.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 10-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

What type of swash controll does it have. Looks ccpm but at what degree. Also if the trex 600 only needs a 6s why does the raptor need a 12s for the same sized heli. I wish I would have waited to add this to my raptor collection then getting the trex600. It just looks like a much better design, but then again I am very biased towards raptors.
zflarez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock setup uses a 90 degree eCCPM configuration, but with the right swashplate, or conversion ring, 120 degree and 140 degree setups are also possible. Personally, I think the 90-degree optionis the best of all worlds. It has the least amount of interaction but eliminates the messy mechanical mixing bits.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

As for the 6s issue, most electric helicopters in this size range (converted glow Raptors, Logo 14s, 3D-MPs, Mini Jokers, MA MXR Razors, etc...) use a 10s LiPo pack in the the 3700-4200 mAh range. 10s IS the standard. Align, started off making a Logo 10-sized copy and since the most popular power setup for Logo 10s is a 6s LiPo pack in the 3700-4200 mAh range, that's what the power guys at Align went off to go try and do. Meanwhile, based on inputs from their growing stable of high-priced test pilots, the design guys "super-sized" their Logo 10-sized TRex, into a full-blown 60o-bladed helicopter. The problem is, no one told the guys working on the power system! They ended up with a crazy outrunner-in-a-can concept, that does a great job of trapping the heat, and a controller that is limited to 6s, period (great inside-the-box thinking there...).

In addition, the design guys didn't change anything, layout-wise, from the little TRex. I guess they figured they lucked out with that design and everything should just scale up, right? Wrong! In the little TRex, it is okay to have an underslung motor, and the battery totally up front. In anything larger, however, you really need to have the motor out of the way, so that the pack(s) can go between the frames, and you need to have an unobstructed area so that the packs can move forward and backward, in order to get it CG'd properly.

Anyway, Align went ahead and pput in their puny power system into this beast, which wouldn't be so bad in a 550-bladed version, as an entry-level system, but instead they tried to pass it off as a first-rate 3D machine. The got their expensive stable of test pilots to finesse a few demos and sure enough, it looked impressive, for 3-1/2 minutes at least. To get any sort of real performance out of this thing, you really need to use a big 6s-4900 FlightPower or 6s-4600 Thunder Power Extreme pack, but either can be easily bested in any other "normal" 600-bladed model, with one of a dozen 10s-based motor/pack combos.

The other big design boner I think Align made is to do the frames in such away that only their motor, or one of the older 2/4-poled narrow-cased inrunners will fit. You have to hack up the CF frames if you want to use any of the modern, high-powered outrunners available now.

For the absolute top-end performance, I think the 12s-3300 setup I'm testing will be tough to beat. Once I get the higher kV Z50A-800, I will also try it with a 10s-3700 FP pack setup. This will be plenty, for most people not doing competition-level 3D.

-- Gary

www.tppacks.com
Old 10-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

I loved that video, the eraptor looks very promising. I am brand new and have been researching which heli to start with, professional opinions requested...what do you all think?
I was leaning towards the raptor 50, and then heard more about the Gohbee Stinger 50. So many choices.
How are the 620 and 550 sized? In relation to the 30/50 and 60/90...where do these fit?
Last but not least, would you start with one??? I love the electric options for more places to fly, but supposedly can fly longer each day on fuel versus buying extra expensive battery packs!
Thanks for your advice!
BAyres is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

These electrics are the same size as the raptor 50. And you cant fly at more places just because it is electric. They have more power and are just as noisy as a nitro machine.
zflarez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Just as noisy? I have to disagree. Thery're not silent but they don't even compare to a nitro engine.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

You dont' have that "whining" noise that glow engines have .
BoneDoc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in