Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

Old 04-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Pigskin
Registered Users

Default Setting up blade sr tail and gyro

Hi, this is my first post after reading up for the last few weeks. First my thanks to everyone who has posted up before, it has helped me a lot while learning.

I’m very new to this hobby. My dad and I both got Blade SRs last week, and over the weekend we set mine up on the bench. I thought I’d share what we did. Please give me some feedback on the approach, if I got anything wrong, or did anything silly.

The aim was to get the heli set up so that switching from gyro heading hold to rate mode did not cause the heli tail to swing about. Set up was all done using the stock transmitter, with the ultimate aim of the control through DX6i gyro switch.

All of set up was done on a freely moving turntable with the helicopter bolted to it. The turntable is from an old record player attached to a wooden board. I guess something similar could be done on a low friction surface like a tiled floor but to achieve hover speed a turntable is best and safer.

We first did a few experiments to determine how the gyro works. The 50% position (12 o’clock on the transmitter dial) to 100% give you a heading hold mode with weak (51%) through to strong (100%) gyro input. The 50% position to 0% gives you a rate mode with weak (49%) through to strong (0%) gyro input. At 50% there is minimal input from the gyro.

We first wanted to get a good ‘mechanical’ setup of the tail i.e. the tail was counteracting the torque being generated by the main rotor without use of the gyro. Our theory was that the less the gyro has to work to keep control of the tail due to bad set up the better the flight performance should be. So we set the gyro to 50% to minimise the effect of the gyro on the tail. With the gyro set to 50% we then turned the gain control on the ESC by very small amounts until the tail was holding. Each time the gain control on the ESC was adjusted with the heli turned off. When the tail was holding its position we were able to do some further fine tuning on the transmitter (used sub trim when we moved to dx6i).

The adjustment we had to do to the ESC was to take the setting from the 2 o’clock setting to the 4 o’clock setting (roughly) to get the tail holding.

When we had it balanced nicely we could then whack the throttle up and down with almost no tail movement. This is the test that the SR manual recommends for balancing the ESC.

We could also turn the gyro control all the way throuh 0% to 100% again without any tail movement. Before we balanced the tail using the ESC doing this this would cause the tail to move about.

We chose a 25% and 75% setting for the two modes which worked well, then bound to DX6i.

The flight performance of the SR after this tuning was way better than stock out of the box. Since then the performance has been maintained well with very little change.

For me this is important as a beginner, having it set up and balanced makes it more controllable and generally just nicer to fly. I don’t have to continually fiddle with the trim controls, and it also means that the helicopter will take off almost vertically now, rather than pulling to the left. This last bit was an unexpected surprise as I’d come to the conclusion that the pull to the left on take off was normal.

Last edited by Pigskin; 04-07-2010 at 04:21 AM..
Pigskin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
jbrinkley0826
Registered Users

My HF Map location

nice post, I was messing around with mine earlier today and never did get anywhere, hopefully I'll be able to use this thread to figure things out. I'm new to heli's. Have ran three battery packs through and damaged the blades the last time, so I'm waiting on them before I can really get the SR set up. it will fly, just not smooth and I see no sense in trying to trim it right now. I'm waiting for blades before I get her back out.

thanks for the help. thats what makes this forum awesome.
jbrinkley0826 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
Pigskin
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was fine tuning the heading hold setting last night. 75% kept the tail very solid, but I noticed that the sound from the tail was changing in pitch without any stick movement, and also that the piro movement was jerky, as though I was doing the movement in steps. It was definately a case of too much of a good thing.

I reduced the gain on the gyro to 60% eventually. This still held the tail nicely and also gave a nice smooth piro movement. Still using 75% on the rate mode setting which feels right for me.
Pigskin is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others