Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters

Compass Model Helicopters Compass Model Helicopter Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
Ah Clem
Registered Users

Default Best Flying Helicopter I Have Ever Flown!

I have been flying model helicopters since 1976.

I have flown everything I can get my hands on in that time.

My present stable includes about 30 machines-some new, some not so new, some very old (never to be flown again).

I have been flying the 6HV again (having rebuilt it after a nasty crash last week).

It is, simply, the best flying model helicopter I have ever flown. I am not a hotshot 3D flyer, having learned to fly when smooth, big, aerobatics were the thing (I am ancient). This machine is crisp, smooth, and precise-not to mention completely un-boggable.

I love it!

I am, admittedly, biased.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Dflyer
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't got that load of years of experience, but i must say Ah Clem, i've flown a lot of helicopters and yes the 6HV is my favourite too. It's the best flying heli i've owned up till now.

But hell yeah, i'm biased too

Grtz,
Dirk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/ CY Stingray / Invertix 400 / SH Little Spyder
Dflyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Mercuriell
HF Support

My HF Map location

I'm not biased - I just think the 6HV is the most agile yet most stable platform I have flown and it can sure give the TDR a run for it's money!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
fenderstrat
Registered Users

I had to put my 6HV build on hold for a few weeks due to some financial issues(my car decided a head gasket was more important)but things are back on track now and i am going to start the build this weekend.man I cant wait.I have been drooling over this heli since i saw the first pics,and I LOVE my ATOM.So now after seeing the reports from everyone that the 6HV KICKS SOME SERIOUS BUTT,nothing but great reviews.I cant wait to get this baby in the air.Just gotta get a few more elec things and some new batts,and i'm ready for a whole season of flying
TEAM KBDD
fenderstrat is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Richard, you seriously gotta stop posting this stuff man...I'm already on the brink of bankruptcy and you aren't helping!!!!!!

I've been giving big electrics some major consideration seeing I can't quite get behind nitro as much as I want. I always seem to be chasing the power issues with my nitros and I've been seriously thinking about sticking with all E helis from here on out -- especially considering the fact that my Atom could use the same packs!

My one last hope for nitro would be to try the 3D+. I got to fly a Velocity 50 and it was really nice I have to admit (not as fast as my K3D, but a bit more smooth and precise). I'm friends with on of the Team Compass guys and he said the 3D+ flies a bit better than the Velo, so I'm looking forward to trying it out someday (hopefully anyways).

I've never seen any of the newer helis in person and it looks like I'll miss a good chance at the Palomar event Either way, I know it will just be a matter of time before I jump off that bridge and get a 6HV. Sadly, it will mean the K3D will have to be sold off to make up the difference. I only wish I could afford to own all 3 at the same time.
--Si vis pacem, para bellum--
skunkworx is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Cullen Colapietro
Registered Users

My question is, why was it so much more affordable to build this heli as opposed to some of the other brands?

I chose the 6HV because it came highly recommended AND for the price. Seriously, I think I laid down like $900 on this setup and ALL is new!

If I wanted to build a T-rex 600 used and convert it to 12s, I would have spent the same amount!

Sure happy in this case that you don't "get what you pay for".
Cullen Colapietro is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I really don't understand why Align helis have such a great reputation for being inexpensive...they are anything but (unless you are happy to leave them with their 100% factory setups -- which is basically impossible because they usually perform like crap as stock). Granted, their kits usually are attractive because they come with everything, but you still get screwed in the long run because parts are so much more expensive and the stock stuff doesn't last very long. Not to mention all the 'upgrades' you need to do to them to get them to fly on a higher level.

Anyway, Compass has been doing a great job of listening to the market and putting out better an better models. They typically can keep costs down so that parts are affordable. The only down-side is that you pay a real price for the kit (which is really not that bad if you look at the price of all the other helis out there). Keep it up Compass!!!
--Si vis pacem, para bellum--
skunkworx is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Cullen Colapietro
Registered Users

I paid the same for my 6HV kit as it would cost to buy a T-rex 500 kit (plus about $60). That just doesn't compute.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Ah Clem
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

"I got to fly a Velocity 50 and it was really nice I have to admit (not as fast as my K3D, but a bit more smooth and precise)."

Tim,

The Knight 3D should be able to be tuned so that it is easily smoother and more precise than the Velocity.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
TheBum
HF Support

My HF Map location
Location: McKinney, TX, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
The Knight 3D should be able to be tuned so that it is easily smoother and more precise than the Velocity.
Yep. You can move the ball on each upper mixer arm to the center hole; the K3D comes from the factory with the ball at the most agile position. If you want it even smoother, you could even move the balls over two holes.

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Ah Clem
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alan brings up a very good point!

The head on the Compass products is "programmable", even though that is not an advertised feature.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
Greg B
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Yep. You can move the ball on each upper mixer arm to the center hole; the K3D comes from the factory with the ball at the most agile position. If you want it even smoother, you could even move the balls over two holes.
Alan,
How did that work out for you? I know you moved the ball to the middle holes on your upper mixer arms. Are you happy with the results? Did it smooth it out for you?

Greg
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
TheBum
HF Support

My HF Map location
Location: McKinney, TX, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe

I only made the adjustment a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to fly the heli since (due to high winds and an electric-only fun fly in the interim), so I'm only speaking from the experience of others.

However, with the balls in the factory locations, I was having to run 30% expo to tame it down enough for me to control it reasonably well through my typical maneuvers. I typically don't like using *any* expo, so it still wasn't flying entirely to my liking.

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
Greg B
Registered Users

I have not been able to fly myself for going on two weeks because of weather.
I am one of the ones that have changed to the middle holes and am happy with the results.
Just wondering if you were happy with the way it flies on the middle holes also.

Greg
Greg B is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
RMG2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonseize View Post
My question is, why was it so much more affordable to build this heli as opposed to some of the other brands?

I chose the 6HV because it came highly recommended AND for the price. Seriously, I think I laid down like $900 on this setup and ALL is new!

If I wanted to build a T-rex 600 used and convert it to 12s, I would have spent the same amount!

Sure happy in this case that you don't "get what you pay for".
How did you get bye so cheaply? I bought all new stuff for my kit and counting every little extra, I have about $1800-$2000 in mine, counting batteries.
RMG2 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
Cullen Colapietro
Registered Users

Well,

I didn't count batteries since I assume most interested in this heli already have 6s lipos for their 500.

Kit was $500 w/ motor, ESC and blades (10% off @ Nanking)
Spartan Quark Gyro was $120 (30 % off)
Castle BEC Pro was $38
Hyperion Atlas Servos 3@ $48 and 1@ $38
AR 7600 $110

So, $950

I did buy some batteries, but just considered that a general expense, not a build expense.

So for me, the best heli a gentleman w/ 30 yrs has ever flown at the lowest price around, it seemed like a no brainer.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters

Compass Model Helicopters Compass Model Helicopter Discussion