START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default My first day with CPII, followed by Helicommand, all I can say is Wow!!

Well I finally had a chance to go to the field today to dial in the CPII, all I can say is OMG I shortened my learning curve by 6 months.

Had to pour myself a Scotch when I got home (still shaking) and told my Wife, "This will be my Summer to get to the next level"

I'm a novice flyer and haven't flown 20 minutes since last summer due to weather in the Pacific Northwest and work demands.

My goal was to run a gallon of fuel over several flying sessions before I tried what I've been doing on the sim...NOT! that changed once I got CPII dialed in on the T-Rex 600n.

After a few tanks to get the rust off the ol' fingers and get the cobwebs out of the brain, I started doing fast forward flights and hard banked turns to warm up.

I need the first tank of fuel or battery to get connected.

I had Emergency bail out on the gear switch and practiced over and over trying to get used to flipping it on and off.

After I watched the CPII right the bird from any thing I threw at it, I was confident and just went for it.

Throwing the Heli around, flips, loops, rolls and inverted I hadn't been so relaxed since I was buddy boxed by a pro last summer.

I flew 3 mistakes high and as such had some difficulity inverted with visibility with all the smoke, if I couldn't see it, I just flipped the switch and there she was.

Twice I would have crashed, after a fast fly by and let it get too far away and lost orientation, flip the gear switch on and just brought it back... upright.

2nd time I tried a funnel, hard for me to get into on the sim, but once there I can hold and control it pretty well.

On the 3rd failed funnel attempt I was headed for some kinda death spiral and going down, flipped the Emergency recover, the heli went instant level, gave it collective and it pulled up, saved again!

I did try multiple rolls with E. recovery on, but if I crossed the center line of the cyclic, CP would flip the heli level again.

So I tried to get used to flying with it off, knowing it was there if it needed it, and just fly baby fly

A few times I was aware I let the heli get ahead of me knowing I had a Digital Parachute rather than me thinking ahead of the manuver, something I'll have to work on.

I was shaking not from fear, but excitment, flying hard for hours without a crash, against a cloudy sky... my worst.

Next up my AP bird a Rappy 550e with Helicommand.

Now I was nervous, HC is awesome, but it doesn't know "up" but is really locked in for AP.

HC doesn't care about horizon, it creates it own on power up, flying in tight quarters, trees etc doesn't matter.

But doing mutiple flips and rolls, it sometimes takes a second to catch up.

CPII always knows witch way is up. so I didn't lose precious milliseconds making sure I didn't give the wrong input... positive or negitive collectve, inverted or upright.

I still love my Helicommand, go inverted, center the cyclc and it levels inverted, plus it's tight on level especially for AP.

I guess one could tighten up on the horizon on CPII and get it more level, dunno, still new to this amazing little gizmo>

But for getting past the crashes, the expense, the rebuild time, fear and loss of confidence I'll get another CPII

Just depends on what we want, they're both good

Mel

Last edited by Navigator53; 07-27-2010 at 01:03 AM..
Navigator53 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
Stumblebee
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
I flew 3 mistakes high and as such had some difficulity inverted with visibility with all the smoke, if I couldn't see it, I just flipped the switch and there she was.
I read about that 1,2 and 3 mistake high method. I went out and tried it the next morning. I'll pass on it for now. I had a crash at 2 mistakes high that cost me a main shaft, blades and TT gears. I'll stay at 1 mistake high for awhile.
Stumblebee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Navigator53
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
I read about that 1,2 and 3 mistake high method. I went out and tried it the next morning. I'll pass on it for now. I had a crash at 2 mistakes high that cost me a main shaft, blades and TT gears. I'll stay at 1 mistake high for awhile.
You're younger than me, takes me 2 mistakes high just to realize I'm in trouble
Old 07-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
Stumblebee
Registered Users

LOL!!!! I guess that is what happens when you fly those pollution belching nitros. All that smoke means you can't even see your bird half the time. That's why you need 2 to 3 mistakes high LOL!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Goldenhour
Registered Users

Optical illusions are what get us I believe. You know, like those escher tessellations with the.....like LSD on paper. An object that constantly changes in size, attitude and color is game for illusions. Whats the difference between the Robbe helicommand 3a and the CPll? I plan on buying one soon for my 600e rig.
600e align mechanics Helijive Hc3sx FutabaBLS QuickUK KDEDirect Scorpion Futaba10CHG Thunderpower10s5amp Rotortek620sym telemetryX3 450Pro Realflight5.0 PS1 2xptLeicaDlux5 Gopro3 w/ cheap chinese 2 axis gimbal Pana Lx5 VidDownlink etc, etc
Goldenhour is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
LOL!!!! I guess that is what happens when you fly those pollution belching nitros. All that smoke means you can't even see your bird half the time. That's why you need 2 to 3 mistakes high LOL!
Yeah Yeah I know Stumblebee

But have you ever been downwind of Nitro smoke first thing in the quiet of the morning, dew still on the field, sun just coming up in the horizon, the frogs croaking, the birds just waking up..... doesn't get any better than that until....... a Heli is turned to charcoal when Lipo man shows up

People running for their cars, gasping for air, trying to avoid the toxic cloud of death

Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know for you, but I fly both Helicommand Rigid and Co-Pilot II and I just ordered another CPII

HC 3a is limited. HC 3D will do 3D and HC Rigid will do 3d and flybarless.

This is what we see when flying when our eyes play tricks on us.

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/sze_silhouette/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by usakicksass View Post
Optical illusions are what get us I believe. You know, like those escher tessellations with the.....like LSD on paper. An object that constantly changes in size, attitude and color is game for illusions. Whats the difference between the Robbe helicommand 3a and the CPll? I plan on buying one soon for my 600e rig.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Last time I crashed at a fun fly, I was hovering inverted and someone was yelling lower, lost my orientation and did a dirt nap.

Later a pro pilot told me "you were 1 mistake high and you used it, 2 and you would have saved it"

Just gives us more time to save the bird

Mel
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Stumblebee
Registered Users

[QUOTE=Navigator53;2209878]
But have you ever been downwind of Nitro smoke first thing in the quiet of the morning, dew still on the field, sun just coming up in the horizon, the frogs croaking, the birds just waking up..... doesn't get any better than that until....... a Heli is turned to charcoal when Lipo man shows up

You just remember all of that as you are wiping the oil and grime off of your bird after two or three flights. You can also think of all of that the next time you pay for a gallon of nitro and know that the fuel you put in your heli costs more than the fuel you put in your car or boat. Then there is the unending joy of tuning those nitro engines again and again and again. How is your glow plug doing these days? I'll stick with my lipos. They are neat, clean and efficient.

Hey Mel, have you checked the FMA site recently? CP II Combo 3 is now priced at $169.95. The web site tells you all about it.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
Stumblebee
Registered Users

Default CP II does its thing again

I went down to the soccer field this morning. It was cool and overcast. I thought I would see if I could get into the air. A quick check of "Preflight" let me know in no uncertain terms that flying today could result in replacing parts. The programmer reported a 2 degree centigrade temperature difference along with a vivid "No Fly" warning. I packed everything up and walked back home. I checked the barometer and discovered it was nose diving.

My bird is back home safe and sound with nothing busted. You got to love that.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow Stumble,

That would be rare, try holding you heli up off the ground next time to see if that changes.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
mechanicus
Registered Users

is the CPII small enough to install on one of my Walkera UFly's? The pics on their site show a dime for scale - looks like tiny stuff.

Also, my yard is not level, with trees and fences all around - will this cause problems?
mechanicus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I haven't had a chance to test that yet but I read it will tend to want to follow the slope down.

Each of the sensors on the tail sees 120 degrees for a total of 480 so they are overlapped quite a bit.

You're right, tiny little things they are, I'd say go for it and once installed, come back and report what it's doing.

There's lots of good help here to help tweak it in for trees etc.

I just ordered a 2nd CP and will eventually have it on all my birds, why wouldn't I, avoiding 1 crash pays for the little bugger

Mel
Old 07-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #14
mechanicus
Registered Users

Will it work on a 4-channel FP copter like the HBFP or the UFly?
mechanicus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
Stumblebee
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator53 View Post
Wow Stumble,

That would be rare, try holding you heli up off the ground next time to see if that changes.
You know, I had totally forgotten about that "off the ground" method. I will give it a try the next time I run into those conditions. I took it out this morning in totally clear skies. It is beautiful to watch this bird with CP II. I was fortunate enough to have zero wind so I could get a really clear idea regarding trim on the bird. I still have a bit of tail boom twist which is throwing off the main sensor and causing a bit of drift to the left. I will have to pin the front end of the boom to stop that. Other than that, it was beautiful flying this morning.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
nwcudaman
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default CP 2 impressions

I'd like to get in on this. I'm lucky enough to know Mel and he has been a member of our group for some time now.
I have to admit, when he mentioned this to our group, I was thinking..this sounds too good to be true. However, I trust Mel. He is not the kind of guy that just has to have the new gadgets on the market for no good reason, he does his homework and prepares for it. So while my gut was telling me,,,yeah..right,,this is crazy,,My head was telling me,,Dude,,you know this guy. If he says it is,,,it is.
So Yesterday he came out to our field with his bird and held a CP2 class. helped me check out my bird with it on there and up in the air it went. I installed it on my flagship 600E. It's never been wrecked and it looks like now,,it might be a bit longer until it is. Unless I totally screw up an auto! And yes,,,I did an auto with CP2 turned on last night. If your like me, it's gonna be hard to convince you how well this system works. So, I'll just say, if you can hook up with someone that has one, ask to see it work, see it in action. Once you get your head around that show, X by 10 and that will get you close to the feeling of doing it yourself on your own bird. This system is no B.S. guys and girls. It IS what it says it is, does what it says it can do and with total confidence.
I work with and train people to fly and build, rebuild, setups or what ever it takes to assist them in this hobby. What I can say about this CP2 for them, is now,,buddy boxing is no longer needed, the human error is gone. I'm going to suggest anyone get one.
If your riding high on pride and have the thought that your good enough that you don't need it,,,well..Ok,,..maybe you don't. However, I'll say this much. Once you have seen one work,,,and or tried it. The next time your bird takes a dirt nap, while your rebuilding your going to be whispering under your breath....friggin pride...I could be out flying right now or using this money for an upgrade and not ANOTHER set of blades.

It only takes ONCE!! for this to pay for it's self...ONCE!...Don't let pride get in your way of common sence. There is much to be said about this CP2 for sure. But to sum it up, once you have hit that switch yourself, or watched a new pilot with it dialed in for them,,,you WILL agree,,,,it's a game changer.
Hats off to Mel for directing us to this amazing unit, many members after watching the show yesterday are getting them.

And to FMA...All I can say is...Thank you. This unit can make it possible for new people to learn to fly, and people on a lower budget class like me to stay in the hobby and enjoy it.Also, FMA,,you have managed to price it at a point where it can be had. I fear that Hobby shops,,if they are willing to carry it, are gonna really mark it up. And Pro Pilots,,yes,,,you can use it too. It weighs near NOTHING, but as you know,,sooner or later,,your gonna wish you had that switch...even if it was just ONE TIME...That's all it takes.

Thanks again Mel, In one move, CP2 has given me a summer to fly.

Dana
nwcudaman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
nwcudaman
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Update

Just thought I'd put up a little update now that I've gotten in some more flights with the CP2.
It just keeps getting better. I'm not really sure what happened, but all that stuff I've been playing with on my Phoenix sim, I actually DID!!..It was amazing. Now,,was it a fluke?..I'm not sure yet. But as many know, what you do on the sim, may not be what you do in real life with all your $$$$ up there. Brain fart,,freeze,,nerves,,,who cares. All I can say is something came into being knowing I had that thing on there, and I had worked with it enough to gain trust in it, that I just went for it. For the first time in my heli experiance, the field was MINE!. Anything I wanted to do happend, nice, smooth and all for the first time in real life. maybe for me it was a mental block. And to be frank,,I don't care. It works. And the best part...I never had to hit the switch. But it was there if I needed it. I'm surprised I didn't........THIS TIME...

Dana
nwcudaman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #18
Navigator53
Registered Users

My HF Map location

More about this Dana guy....

He's the kinda guy that gives an open invitation to any one no matter your 3D level or first day, need help, just ask

When at Fun Flys it's "Crash your bird, bring it to my table, I'll rebuild it for you"

Oh wait, that was my Heli that went in I bring the carnage to Dana and he just rebuilds it better than before.

Not to mention he is one smokin" pilot

Mel

Last edited by Navigator53; 08-03-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
msg73
Registered Users

What are the differences in the CP2 versus the original FS8 Co-Pilot w/ z-sensor? I had one of the FS8 (before going 2.4ghz) models but wasn't too impressed.
msg73 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization