START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios

Hitec Radios Hitec Radios Support

Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Innovine
Registered Users

Default pitch curve centerpoint is wrong in normal mode

I noticed a weird thing with the pitch curve on my Optic 6 when in Normal mode. The center value seems to be around 15% lower than stated. For example, if i set the curve to 50-50-50 and move the collective stick from bottom to top, there is a clear movement in the servos producing a few degrees of negative pitch around center stick. I need to set my normal mode pitch curve to 50-65-50 before I can move the collective fully up and down without experiencing any changes to the blade pitch. Oddly enough, this only happens in Normal mode, a pitch curve of 50-50-50 in idle up 1 or 2 behaves as you would expect.

What might be causing this? I went through all the settings I can think of, in all different flight modes and cannot see anything which might cause this behavior. What might I have missed?
Innovine is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
dialarotor
Registered Users

My HF Map location

do you have a hovering trim function? If so, center it and see if this takes the bump out of the curve.
dialarotor is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Bob O
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialarotor View Post
do you have a hovering trim function? If so, center it and see if this takes the bump out of the curve.
+1

If you have pitch trim or hover trim functions on your heli, it's best to inhibit or disable them.
OmG servos
Futaba 14SG
Bob O is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Innovine
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok I will check the trims, thanks for the suggestion. I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, as it is actually a Hitec radio
Old 07-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #5
Innovine
Registered Users

Confirmed; this was the trims. The Optic 6 has two little levers on the sides, which trim the throttle and collective. I didn't know this before now, but they are impossible to disable, and only work in Normal mode. Hopefully I can just remove them with a pliers.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Bob O
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovine View Post
Confirmed; this was the trims. The Optic 6 has two little levers on the sides, which trim the throttle and collective. I didn't know this before now, but they are impossible to disable, and only work in Normal mode. Hopefully I can just remove them with a pliers.
Glad you found the cause of the issue. Are you sure you cannot disable them? But I wouldn't remove them..........how about just taping them so they don't move?
OmG servos
Futaba 14SG
Bob O is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
takilara
Registered Users

I rather like those levers, make it easy to adjust headspeed for hover while in the air.
(one lever adjusts centerpoint for pitch, the other for throttle)

One does have to be really careful that they are centered before you fly though. Its part of my "preflight check" to check the levers and switches on the Tx

Many people have glued or fixed them in position using tape.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Innovine
Registered Users

I find it easier just to move the collective stick up or down a bit when hovering, I haven't found a need for separate throttle/pitch adjustments. In fact, since the levers have such a huge impact on the settings, they are a poor trim and I think it is just an accident waiting to happen. It's a design fault that they cannot be disabled, and the next time I have the back off my radio I'll be looking into cutting/shorting the wires or removing the plastic levers entirely.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
takilara
Registered Users

I agree that they should be able to be disabled.

However, i find them very useful for instance in scenarios where i am "training" something basic, like slow circles, or rotating back and forth. In these cases i like to have a lower headspeed to get more flighttime. Then if i want to do some FF or whatever, i just increase my headspeed with those levers to get the heli more responsive and less prone to bogging down. I feel i have very fine control over my headspeed while in air with those levers.

Using a voltage alert, i get approx 9 minutes of hovering when using low headspeed (set with the levers), and about 7 minutes when using "normal" headspeed (levers at center).

I guess most experienced pilots don't need this feature, but then again, i suspect that those people often choose other radios.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Hitec Radios

Hitec Radios Hitec Radios Support