Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > 330X

330X Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 330X QuadCopter

Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Empire Hobby Tech
Registered Users

Default Official GAUI 330X-S Build Thread/ Tips & Tricks

Hello Fellow HeliFreaks!

Allow me to introduce myself,
I am a member of the Empire Hobby Staff, and I've been assigned to better help and support customers on some of our hot new products, like the Gaui 330X-S Quadcopter!

Empire Hobby prides itself on outstanding, and revolutionary customer service in the Hobby industry... we're modelers too!

So as the official exclusive importer for the Gaui line here in the USA, we thought it would be nice to step up and support the product in these forums, which are buzzing with excitement and curiousity.

We'll start our first endeavour here, with the massively popular Gaui 330X-S Quadcopter. For those of you interested in getting one, or for those of you who may have questions in the construction of this model, we hope the following video will help answer some of them.

Anything else, just post the Q?
We'll be sure to answer quickly and accurately.

Enjoy your Quads,

Team Empire

Empire Hobby Tech is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
torana74
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thank you very much for putting that up.Very informative. I've been interested in these for a while but wasn't entirely sure of what was required,how it worked, went together etc.

Looks like a good fun unit and will be great for aerials at the field.

Order coming

What batt packs are recommended??

Vas
torana74 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
MrWolf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I use a 2200mah 3s but I have tried up to a 3600mah 3s for more flight time.

Ian
MrWolf is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
Empire Hobby Tech
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Welcome!

We've flown the Quad on everything from 2s 1100's to 3s 5000's!!!

The thing is designed to carry some payload, so when you're not carrying cameras or equipment, load it up! Although my preffered battery for aerobatic flight (flips, rolls, high-power climbouts) is a 3s 2100. Perfect blend of power and 10+ minutes of aggressive flying!

Cheers,
Team Empire
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
dl_killen
Registered Users

I set up my quad today and realize that when slowly advancing the throttle motor #4 lags noticeably behind the others and doesn't start to rotate until more throttle is inputted.
Do the ESC's need to be set up individually?
dl_killen is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Empire Hobby Tech
Registered Users

Ya know, that's actually not too uncommon.
However, it is a misconception that people have that all four motors need to turn at the same speed when firing it up.

Although they should generally all fire up around the same throttle setting, it's okay if one or more start speeding up/slowing down a little more than the others. Once you start rolling in the power and get it airborne, the Gyro takes over and everything is good in 330X land

However, if your motor is not responding to the point where it becomes impossible to get off the ground, I would reset the programming/calibration on all four of your motors:

--- Verify that your throttle travel is set at 100%, then turn your radio off.

--- Turn your radio back on, and push the throttle to full.

--- Plug in the Quad's flight pack.... it should beep at you to tell you it's got power.

--- As soon as you hear it power up, roll the throttle back down to zero.

--- It should at this point initialize the speed controls and beep the amount of cells you're running... (2 beeps for a 2s; 3 beeps for a 3s).

--- Unplug the Quad, and reduce your max throttle travel to 80%.

That should get all four esc's/motors on the same playing field.

Team Empire
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Empire Hobby Tech
Registered Users

However, it is a misconception that people have that all four motors need to turn at the same speed when firing it up.

Although they should generally all fire up around the same throttle setting, it's okay if one or more start speeding up/slowing down a little more than the others. Once you start rolling in the power and get it airborne, the Gyro takes over and everything is good in 330X land

However, if your motor is not responding to the point where it becomes impossible to get off the ground, I would reset the programming/calibration on all four of your motors:

--- Plug in the Quad's flight pack.... it should beep at you to tell you it's got power.

--- It should at this point initialize the speed controls and beep the amount of cells you're running... (2 beeps for a 2s; 3 beeps for a 3s).

Team Empire
Old 09-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Olivier06
Registered Users

I heard about some people fitting some larger props on the quad (10 - 11 inch) - see (Averticalview.com).

I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and how it affect the load arrying apacity / flight time of the quad.

I am hesitating between getting an X330 from Gaui or a x650 from xaircraft (http://tienda.stockrc.com/XAircraft-...XAircraft_X6X0)...
Olivier06 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Empire Hobby Tech
Registered Users

Team Empire
Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
MrWolf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had to set all my ESC's individually, plugged one at a time into the GU-344. I could not get them set properly when doing them all at once. It's a pain, but you only have to do it once!

Ian

Last edited by MrWolf; 09-10-2010 at 09:02 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #11
Empire Hobby Tech
Registered Users

Hmmm...
I haven't tried bigger props yet. I'm actually pretty pleased with the amount of weight the 330X can carry and still have spiffy performance.

Check out this video! Guy lifts a 1lb. 3oz. rock with some power to spare

Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
MrWolf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's a tip: Check your props! Got about 50+ flights on the airframe and even though I loctited them (the spinners) and checked them regularly one came off today just at landing. Flipped over and broke a couple of props, no big deal. Put the new ones on, checked the others and hit the air. Bang! 3 feet up I blew another prop. WTF? Turns out I overtighened the spinners and cracked all the props.
Mental note: Loctite and finger tighten only!
I'm checking everything now.
Note: The new landing gear (Infinity-Hobby) is a lot tougher than it looks.

Ian
Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
rernewe
Registered Users

Default Dealers in Canada??

Hi, can someone suggest where I can purchase one in Canada? I'm in the Toronto Ontario area. I can order online from the U.S. if needed.

thanks

Ross
rernewe is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
MrWolf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

RCFlightStore in Vancouver has them. Free expedited shipping in Canada too.
http://www.rcflightstore.com/product...186e8266bc5a0c

Ian
Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
rernewe
Registered Users

thanks, much appreciated!!!!!!!
rernewe is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
MrWolf
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I recommend you try a set of the yellow props too. I use them on the front of my quad, they are very visible so you can drop the ball!

Ian
Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
Empire Hobby Tech
Registered Users

Default Can't believe I haven't posted this on here yet!!!

Here's a vid we shot back a few weeks using the brand new Gaui 330X camera mount!

Nothing too big and flashy... just a simple point 'n shoot camera. Can you imagine how much cooler it will be once I get a GoPro HD on this thing?!?

Enjoy!

Team Empire

Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
mbsteed
Registered Users

This is a newbie questions. I have just finished a Guai 330X build and am trying to set it up on DX6i. The basic settings are straight forward but I am trying to put the gyro Gain into a switch in plane mode. I know where the wires go but not sure how to setup the transmitter. How would you do that? I have been through all the DX6i manual and can't seem to see a way. I don't see a gear option on the DX6i menu. I am relatively new to this stuff.
mbsteed is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
mbsteed
Registered Users

Okay I have answered my own question. The Gear setting (5th channel) is on the travel adjust menu and is linked to the Gear switch on the DX6i - not the Gyro switch which I was expecting.

So, I setup my 330X as per the build instructions. I did initialize the ESCs all at once and it worked fine but the sounds were a bit different from what the manual described.
I setup my Dx6i according the settings found here:

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/gaui-330x-spektrum-dx6i.asp

This worked great. It hovered very stable.

One difference between the notes above and the manual: the manual suggests starting with 50% gain but the web site suggest 40%. I had a crash and the 330X ate the blinds in our kitchen - the wife was not too pleased. I then reset everything according to the manual (including the wife) (with 50% gain on the gyro and huge for my wife) and wow, that did not work well at all. That caused the 330X to want to flip over. Setting the gain back to 40% rectified the issue - it took awhile but the wife finally starting hovering well too. I will probably play with the gain number to fine tune it. ...it only required minimal trim.

I will post a video once I have a chance.

Oh, one other thing, after my crash two of the propellers came off with no damage. I put those back with an extra bit of locktite. I had heard through this forum that locktite caused problems with the blades (made them weak) so I was careful to check for excess. I even took the nuts off and wiped up excess locktite. However, when I went to start to spool it up the next day, both of the blades broke right down the middle. On close inspection you can literally see where the locktite penetrated and compromised the plastic.

My recommendation is to hand tighten those blade nuts but don't use locktite, better yet find some of those nylon lined nuts that are self locking, as suggested else where.

Last edited by mbsteed; 12-08-2010 at 12:19 AM..
Old 12-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #20
mbsteed
Registered Users

Here is the result of my Guai 330X build after fine tuning with trim. I had spent numerous months building and rebuilding 450 size helis - got about 5 minutes of good hovering in before a screw came out and destroyed all my efforts, could never seem to get those adjusted properly. The 330X has a been a much better experience.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > 330X

330X Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 330X QuadCopter