Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR

Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
Discount_Bob
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Detrum GY48V setup help?

Okay, so I've been fighting a losing battle with my tail/gyro setup and decided to try another gyro. I'm still only tail-in hovering, but without training gear. I have quite a bit of tail wag but it still doesn't seem to hold that well all the time. Even just hovering, my tail occasionally jumps 45 degrees! I've been afraid to work on other orientations because of this.

So I've gone with the Detrum GY48V. It's cheap and has fairly good reviews (given the price - $12!). I've got it installed now. I'll try to add pictures a bit later if it helps anything. I have the wires running off the right side since my motor/esc wire connection comes off the left side and I'm trying to keep things balanced (I certainly didn't want to run them off the back for more tail heaviness).

I have the gain set at about 67 on my dx6i, the delay at about 40-45 (hard to tell on the little dial), and the limit is straight up and down, which I think is 100 (don't have my heli nearby atm).

It holds fairly well, with just a tad bit of wag; however, even just hovering, I still have random blow-outs. And when it loses the tail it COMPLETELY loses the tail, careens out of control (the head pulls left), and I have to land it.

Any tips?
Discount_Bob is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
SeanM
Registered Users

It sounds like your tail motor is dying. The settings you have should give you good results. Have you crashed with this particular tail motor before?
- Spektrum DX7
SeanM is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
SNOWFREAK
Registered Users

I am running about the same settings you are on my Detrum and it flies very well. Sounds like a tail motor issue.

Blade mSR, shortened swash arms and flybar.
Blade SR w/ Detrum GY48V gyro, CF CP Blades, 10 T pinion, B400 head dampeners, Align 450 Landing skids, Axe CP canopy
SNOWFREAK is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
kickbackkid
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount_Bob View Post
Okay, so I've been fighting a losing battle with my tail/gyro setup and decided to try another gyro. I'm still only tail-in hovering, but without training gear. I have quite a bit of tail wag but it still doesn't seem to hold that well all the time. Even just hovering, my tail occasionally jumps 45 degrees! I've been afraid to work on other orientations because of this.

So I've gone with the Detrum GY48V. It's cheap and has fairly good reviews (given the price - $12!). I've got it installed now. I'll try to add pictures a bit later if it helps anything. I have the wires running off the right side since my motor/esc wire connection comes off the left side and I'm trying to keep things balanced (I certainly didn't want to run them off the back for more tail heaviness).

I have the gain set at about 67 on my dx6i, the delay at about 40-45 (hard to tell on the little dial), and the limit is straight up and down, which I think is 100 (don't have my heli nearby atm).

It holds fairly well, with just a tad bit of wag; however, even just hovering, I still have random blow-outs. And when it loses the tail it COMPLETELY loses the tail, careens out of control (the head pulls left), and I have to land it.

Any tips?
By off chance did change your tail rotor? When I did it had these same flight characteristics, but eventually I found the screw wasn't tight enough on the collar and the tail rotor was slipping. Also, double check the collar is tight too. The tail rotor when flicked by your fingers should never spin freely.
kickbackkid is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
rollinolin
Registered Users

I had the same problem and wanted to blame the tail motor but it was actually a bad solder on motor the first time and the second time it was a wire shorting out on tail boom.......re soldered bothtimes and worked just fine. im still on my second motor after several crashes...i just check wires and straightnes of the motor pole...check to see if you installed the tail blade backwards...i did that once
rollinolin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Discount_Bob
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the tips. I will check the tightness of the collar on the rotor in the morning. The solders / wires seem to be in good shape.

This motor is pretty much brand new. I did the "break-in" that's been described, and give it time to cool down between battery packs. I upped the gain on the gyro this evening and it seemed to help a bit.

The motor does seem to heat up pretty quickly. It's not so hot that I can't touch it, but it is too hot to hold for long. Every motor I've had has been this way, though. Am I that unlucky?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
SeanM
Registered Users

They should run warm only. Mine showed to be at around 100 degrees F when I shot it with a temp gun. I've experienced a hot running motor before and it proved to either be on its way out, or in need of oil. If you break your motors in, be sure to lube them up.. especially if you use alchohol.

One more thing, if you've take the rotor off of the collar, check to make sure that you have the shiny side facing away from the motor. The shape of the blade cannot create the same amount of thrust if it's not facing the right direction.
- Spektrum DX7
Old 09-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
Discount_Bob
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh yeah, definitely checked the rotor direction. It was on the wrong way when I first got it ... ha!

I've oiled the little motor the best I could figure, but do you have any suggestions for the best method? I let some drip down the shaft, and (for better or worse) into the slots at the opposite end of the motor.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
SeanM
Registered Users

The slots you speak of are vents for the dust that comes off the brushes.. If you've applied oil there, I would replace it. I only add a drop on the shaft. Too much will kill the motor also.
- Spektrum DX7
Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Discount_Bob
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Of course I would have done something like that. I barely put a dab, because I was leary. I should have avoided it altogether! Thanks.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
celm
Registered Users

how did you guys mount your dy48 gyro?
celm is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
lazor 22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With the wires facing back.

lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
celm
Registered Users

ok so u did let it hang off the back,you hsve the delay at 40 to 45?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Discount_Bob
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I can't get my picture to imbed. Here's the link to my HF album:
http://www.helifreak.com/album.php?a...ictureid=43763

Mine's hanging off the right side of the heli. I wanted as little weight toward the back as possible, and I was a little left-heavy from some other wiring. It doesn't affect the performance of the gyro.

I had my delay set fairly low but cranked it up all the way today. The jury is still out, but I think I like it better. Little to no tail wag now.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
lazor 22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

To set your delay, put it at 100 and do a piro and keep turning it down till it stops when you want it to.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
SeanM
Registered Users

+1
- Spektrum DX7
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #17
celm
Registered Users

and for DS you have it set for off and dir is normal?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #18
lazor 22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think DS means digital servo? That would he off since it's a motor not a servo.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > SR

SR Blade Helicopters (eFlite) SR