Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters

Compass Model Helicopters Compass Model Helicopter Discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
webstep1
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Atom 500 blades

I just finished the build of a new Atom 500. This is my first 500 sized heli but my 4th Compass. I must say the new kits are packaged nice - the only issue was the jesus bolt and nut were missing. A long 2.5mm bolt is not common and I ended up drilling the head out to 3mm to use a common bolt. Other than that it was like any other Compass and I could build it in my sleep.

It was nice today any I got in all my trim flights and a couple play flights. Now for my complaint - the Atom 500 rolls and flips slow. I flew my K600e right after the Atom and at over twice the size the K600e was faster in every way than the Atom. I'm running the stock 9 tooth pinion and Compass blades. I run Radix 600SB or Edge 603 on the K600e - my first thought is that the Compass blades are slow and have nothing to compare them too or I need to go up to the 10 tooth pinion. Can someone recommend a faster set of blades for the Atom 500?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No, but I can recommend you turning your swash mix rates up! If you have it on the 'recommended' 40 and 45 for pitch/aileron, it will be quite docile, tame, and lethargic feeling. Bump it up a mere 10% and hang on! I think I had mine set to 55% and it was quite quick even with slow servos. I originally had it set to like 60% and it was killing me to keep it in one spot, but you can calm it down again with some decent EXPO (didn't learn about that function until like 6 mos. later [mind you I've had my Atom since just after production like 2+ years ago]).

Also, I would recommend going to the 9g paddles or even better get the KBDD's and let'r rip!!! Mine rolls faster than a 450, so more than likely it has to do with your setup than anything else. The 9t pinion should be waaay more than sufficient unless you're big into super pitchy maneuvers or high speed runs.

Lastly, I'd like to say that the Compass blades are THE best blades I've used on the Atom. They top out Radix, Align, and any of the other lesser names out there that I've tried. The only other kind that really did well was the original "raibow" rotor-tech blades, but I think these ones have them beat as well. They're super light and snappy, so give them a little more experimenting before looking elsewhere.
--Si vis pacem, para bellum--
skunkworx is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
webstep1
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks - but, I'm running 65 on aileron/elevator and 60 for pitch - which is more than the head can give without binding. New paddles might do it but it feels like blades.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's your setup. Even with the white 12g paddles it should rip around pretty good with those kinds of rates (it's probably binding in the corners, correct?). But the 9g surely can't hurt.

What distance are your servo balls at on your servos? (what kind of servos too?) I think there might be onesy-twosy things else that might keep it from rolling/flipping really quick, but I would need some more info first. Give me a quick rundown of your setup (if you don't mind) please.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
webstep1
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

It was the blades - I put on Edge 423mm and its all better. They are over 30 grams lighter than the Compass blades and much faster on cyclic. I then added lighter paddles - removing 2 ounces of rotational inertia changed it from a somewhat plain/boring heli into something special.

Thanks for trying but it wasn't setup.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So if the Compass blades are no good for you, you should just give them to me! I'll make sure they are properly disposed of!!! lol
Old 10-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Cullen Colapietro
Registered Users

Were these black and white CF blades or the ALL white FG blades? If they're the FG blades, you should be able to find faster, but the Compass CF blades are nice. Most are happy with them.
Cullen Colapietro is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters

Compass Model Helicopters Compass Model Helicopter Discussion