Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

Old 10-23-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
kevinbattista
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default is the AXE 400 any good?

HI ALL,
I normally fly a CYPHER 400 but got the tower hobbies "tower talk" in the mail today and saw the AXE for $200. i'm looking for a second heli.. ( one for day and one for night) i like that it can use other parts and has a belt drive tail..and the price tag is perfect, but how's the overall quallity? I dont want to end up with another "bad buy"
and if i need to put alot of $ into it to make it fly good then i'd rather find somethin else... I can only spend about $200 on another heli (wifey's gonna kill me )
any help is good help
Thanx
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
mikeinde
Registered Users

I've not owned one myself, but I've tried to help a few friends at the field try to get them in the air.

Everything I've seen says stay away. I've not heard a single good thing about the Axe lineup.

They use sub-par electronics, and there's a ton of slop in the mechanics.

For $200 you're going to be struggling to get into something reliable, unless you go used.

Electronics alone will push you over $200 for descent stuff.

Sorry to be a kill-joy, but you really do get what you pay for, and I'd hate to see you put good money into something that will disappoint you.
mikeinde is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
mulicheng
Registered Users

I had an Axe 400 as my 1st bird. I didn't know anything at the time about helicopters and it seemed like a good deal.

Axe 400:
* plastic parts with lots of slop
* Not good servos (Futaba s3114 or something)
* The Gyro is horrible.. I never got mine to work.. Helimax sent me a replacement that I sold on eBay and I just bought a gy 401 clone for $20 and it was orders of magnitude better.
* Replacement parts are much more expensive than 450 SE v2 parts and they are _not_ compatible in most places. Since it was early in my heli experience, I had one of those doh moments and had a bunch of parts break. It was cheaper to buy a whole new heli kit than to buy all the replacement parts for the Axe 400.

Lessons I learned:
* A metal/carbon fiber EXI 450 is a much cheaper frame to build/maintain because of the cost of the spare parts and you can put as good quality electronics in it as you want.
* That said, I still ended up with a used Trex 450. (Had an Exi and the Align both for a while and decided finally to trade the EXI for something else because I didn't really need two helis when the Align was so reliable). I have close to 100 flights on it and I've had one part fail (servo stripped), other than that it has been rock solid.

I parted out the remaining Axe parts.
mulicheng is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
kevinbattista
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

OK , Thanx Guys

I kinda figured a $200 Rx-R Heli was "to good to be true"
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Heli-Max Helicopters