Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
Darthdrk
Registered Users

I think I use the same one of the AH-1 to make my Cobra.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0736.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	317232  
Darthdrk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #42
n1977m
Registered Users

What would you charge to build me a fuse up to primer, ready for mechanics? Also, I know that you use a tail motor on yours, but is it possible to access the tail for installation of a belt system?
I would like to get email communication going with you as I have several questions for you that I would like to ask "off the blog".
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by n1977m; 05-17-2012 at 03:48 PM..
n1977m is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #43
drakonis
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hmmm. i see a cobra "kit" in the near future. lol. please!
drakonis is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #44
Darthdrk
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1977m View Post
What would you charge to build me a fuse up to primer, ready for mechanics? Also, I know that you use a tail motor on yours, but it is possible to access the tail for installation of a belt system?
I would like to get email communication going with you as I have several questions for you that I would like to ask "off the blog".
Thanks,
Mike
Send me a Email to Darthdrk@juno.com and we can work a deal out of some sort
Yes i do use a tail motor on all my elevated tail rotors . Its amazing of the weight that is eliminated but to answer the access question, Yes, there is access to the inside of the tailboom to access a belt drive system if installed.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #45
n1977m
Registered Users

Default 450 Lo-Boy update

Today, I relocated the tail servo inside the frame directly under the main gear and fab'd a longer pushrod. Also, I relocated the ESC from the right side of the frame to the area right under the battery inside of the nose of the frame. Everything is fitting like a glove and there is NOTHING hanging on the outside of my frame. I still need to ops check it with the components in these locations, though. Other than the drive gear and the elevator servo, there is nothing protruding from my Pro frame. The frame width is 1.188" and will fit nicely inside of a 1/20 scale (2" wide) fuselage. I think if the frame is located properly the drive gear and elevator servo can both be located inside of the engine nacelles.
Tomorrow, I'll do a shakedown for glitches and possible EMF problems from locating the servo and ESC so close to these other components.
On another note, ...I'm going to see if I can stretch and re-proportion my tail boom system for Darth's Cobra fuse. and still use a standard 453T belt.
--------------------------------------------------------
Mike
Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #46
BoozinFlyer
Registered Users

Darth's AH-1 sure is a nice kit. I've been searching the web for tail lowering kits and elevated tail kits (have been thinking about making my own) until I found this thread. All good stuff.

{EDIT}
I sent you an email regarding your low boy kit not too long ago, n1977m.
BoozinFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #47
Darthdrk
Registered Users

N1977m I got your email, we can work something out. There are a few fuselages that I see the Low Boy would work on of my fuselages
AH-1S Cobra
AH-64
UH-60 blackhawk
Sikorsky S-58/CH-34 Choctaw
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #48
n1977m
Registered Users

The shakedown flights went great with no EMF glitches or abnormal flight habits. Moving those components also helped to shift the CG slightly forward which will be a benefit with the fuselage installation.
I've put together a tail unit that I believe will fit Darth's Cobra nicely. I will know for sure when I can get a hold of an actual fuselage for a test fit. It has a 45-degree, 4 1/2" elevated section yielding a 3 3/16" vertical rise in the rotor location. It also puts the rotor location just a smidgeon over 19 3/4" from the main rotor. The belt length had to be increased to 505T.
The next modification will be to install a flexible push/pull tail pitch control. I am hoping to narrow the mid-gearbox a bit by removing the bell crank and rigid pitch control rods.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #49
n1977m
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozinFlyer View Post
Darth's AH-1 sure is a nice kit. I've been searching the web for tail lowering kits and elevated tail kits (have been thinking about making my own) until I found this thread. All good stuff.

{EDIT}
I sent you an email regarding your low boy kit not too long ago, n1977m.
Hmmm, is that you Chris? Darren?
As I said, I'll be happy to provide the system in whatever level of build you need.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #50
n1977m
Registered Users

This is current set-up. Notice that I still have the canopy mounts sticking out, but those will disappear when it goes into a fuselage. Right side has some wires still on the outside but will be no problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pro LS.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	319220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro RS.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	319221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro FRNT.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	319222  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #51
BoozinFlyer
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1977m View Post
Hmmm, is that you Chris? Darren?
As I said, I'll be happy to provide the system in whatever level of build you need.
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, this is Chris.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #52
n1977m
Registered Users

Default Lo-Boy / Darth Cobra

I received Darth's Cobra fuselage about a week and a half ago and temporarily fitted the lo-boy tail to it. It's a pretty max stretch for the 450 tail components to make the distance but it can be done. It took the full boom length before the elevated section. Elevated boom tube section was 3 1/2 inches long plus the 10 5/8 inch main boom tube. The belt is a 524T fiberglass/urethane unit from SDP-SI. Now I get to rig the correct size tail that will go into the fuse and test and tweek it before i put it in.
The fuselage from Darth is super. I highly recommend if you're looking for one that you talk to him.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #53
BoozinFlyer
Registered Users

I should be done with this build by now, but it's been a hectic summer so far. I only have the tail assembly put together (supplied by n1977m). Which is a great piece of equipment!! I'm using a 500 class belt. I forget the dimensions of the 45deg. extension tube, but I cut it short enough to have some play to get the tension right on the belt. I am debating on what material to use for the lowered frames. It may just be 1/8" ply. (I had bought 3/32" fiberglass sheet; don't know what I was thinking at the time, but it's extremely heavy. Anyone want the (2) sheets? lol.)

Darth, what glues work best for your fuse's? Plastic model glue, right?

I'm going for the Viper look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_000285.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	327971   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000286.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	327972   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000287.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	327973   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000284.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	327974  
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #54
Darthdrk
Registered Users

For glues I use plastic model cement (Testors orange tube) Also can use medium CA Glue with accelerator (DO NOT USE THIN CA GLUE)
About 98-100% of a fuselage build I use the Plastic model cement

For windshield instal I use Welder(Brand) contact adhesive
Old 07-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #55
n1977m
Registered Users

Mechanics are back together and running great. Using a set of 360mm blades to bring the blade disk closer to the scale of the fuselage. Also decided to remove the solid push-pull tail control rods and install a flex cable system to get rid of the bellcrank on the side of the 45 degree gearbox to make it just a bit more narrow.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #56
n1977m
Registered Users

Flex push-pull seems less precise than solid rod. Going back to solid push-pull tail control. Plenty of room inside Darth's empenage for it.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #57
drakonis
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i used a solid rod on my last elevated tail. gave it a nice curve bend and it was bind free. took a tad bit of playing with the bend but i got it spot on. flew it a ton before i sold it. worked great and was very precise.
drakonis is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects