Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
2009evolution
Registered Users

Default TRouble starting my Trex 600

Hi everybody,I'm having trouble with my new os hyper i started the engine 3 months ago for its first time ,ran it for 5 mins then put the heli away for 3 months. tried starting it again doesnt fire up at all. my govener is off untill i break the engine in, to make it easier for me. i left old fuel sit in it for those 3 months.So today i removed the blue head and cleaned the piston there was some thick gunk build up on it. i removed the glow plug and put my hand where it goes and i feel the fuel mist spray on my hands. So the fuel is making it to the glow plug.I also charged my glow plug over nite.I read somthing of bearings going bad to running the engine to lean could this be the cause? how can i tell if they are bad? ifso wat are they called? Or should i just take apart the whole engine and clean it? Im stuck
2009evolution is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
fastone93
Registered Users

My HF Map location

replace the glow plug
make sure the new glow plug glows when you ignite it
make sure the needles are set to factory settings
make sure the head bolts and anything else you have taken loose are tight (not gorilla tight)

engine should run!
Old 11-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
seanh
Registered Users

1st get a new plug. I've had them sitting for a few months and work, I've had them go bad between flights. I've had them half bad half good (engien would only run about 10-20 seconds.

Have you done any work to the heli since it's been stored? Maybe changed settings in TX, dropped the engien out etc? Make sure your throttle is set properly to be around 1/4 open while starting. (oh, and make sure the throttle servo is working properly adn that you're not starting in Throttle hold)

Last time I had this happen I started over. Set my servo to where the carb is fully closed when trim is at full negative and stick all the way down and at full stick and a few clicks above neutral I'm at full open carb.

As to the bearings...I'd see if you can start it first. You can pull the backplate to see if the rear bearing has rust, if so then pull the engine and replace them. (personally I'd get it running first- that's me, I'm cheap) But I'm not going to give you that advice.

How to test...hard for me to explain. You can hear it when running and can tell if the engine is pulled by the way it feels when you turn the crank.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
2009evolution
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I replaced the plug for a new one, and im using new fuel too.
I'll let you guys know when I figure out whats wrong.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
2009evolution
Registered Users

I found the promblem. It was my drill, I used to start my helis before with it but its not anough to turn the engine anymore.
I have a align starter just need to get a lipo for it now and im good to go.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
UfcGuy39
Registered Users

My HF Map location

One other thing. I don't know what the weather has been like up there for you, but I do know that the engines are a bit tougher to start in colder weather. I have this when I take my bird out after a couple of weeks sitting lately. The weather here in Wi & IL. has been cool (say 40's and 50's), and my heli has been tough to start on the initial start up. A couple of guys from our group have posted the same symptoms. After the first flight, starts right up with one quick spin.
Futaba 8FG - Bls251 - 8900G
UfcGuy39 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Adnan_Mokodompit
Registered Users

If you didn't use any after run oil on the engine that stored in months period & you left the fuel on the tank & on the engine then I'll guarantee it'll be gunk all over the place & it can lead to a rust problem... So if you want to store your heli in months period, use an after run oil & put an old plug on it.
When you want to start the engine again, you have to give it full throttle & spin the starter about 2 seconds for 3 or 4 times (to get rid the after run oil), replace the plug with the new one, fill it up with new fuel because nitromethane are extremely vapor, if you left it on the heli for a long period of time then you'll get only an oil, not a fuel (it'll be so hard to stared or it'll not stared at all), and last but not least check your servos & TX settings before flight...

The Mighty Flybarless Dust Kickin' Duo, T-Rex 550e & 600NSP
Adnan_Mokodompit is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Adnan_Mokodompit
Registered Users

The best way to store a nitro engine is to take it apart from heli, dismantled & clean it. This way your engine will last for years...

Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
2009evolution
Registered Users

I'm going to put after run oil next time I store it , and remove all the fuel. I'm not taking chances on the rust happening.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
Geardaddy
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Oh boy... Stand by for flood of opinions on leaving fuel in the engine...
Geardaddy is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Adnan_Mokodompit
Registered Users

Why would someone leave the fuel on the engine if they want to store the heli for a long period of time (months)?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
2009evolution
Registered Users

I thought it wouldnt be sitting for that long. I had to many things goin on and little time this year to fly, but next year I hope to fly everyday if possible.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
Adnan_Mokodompit
Registered Users

I just comment on Geardaddy's posting before... So its not you 2009evolution...

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Nitro Helicopters

600 Class Nitro Helicopters 600 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.