Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Mr Rossi
Registered Users

Default THE FEAR!

I've finally got over THE FEAR!!!! after a year and a bit out of the circuit, I flew my PA Extra MX, then fired up my 500, and actually flew some circuits, stall turns and banking turns. The heli was stable, precise, and I thoroughly enjoyed it...just need to stop shaking when I fly now :-) just wanted to share.
Mr Rossi is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Larry227
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Cool! The shakes should subside after a few more packs.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
dannylightning
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry227 View Post
Cool! The shakes should subside after a few more packs.
agreed but i still get shaky on my first pack of the day occasionally. but you will get less nervous the more you fly it. i guess some days your just not feeling it, or not feeling 100% and get shaky hands

glad you over came the fear, that is the point where you start doing well. when your flying with the fear i think you are more likely to hit the dirt.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
pinguin
Registered Users

If your feet are shaking, put a gyro on your feet
pinguin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
jauguston
Registered Users

Flymentor= No Fear (-:

Jim
jauguston is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
poor_red_neck
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Flymentor= No Fear (-:

Jim
I've never really liked the flymentor type devices because it feels like you are fighting it. I know you can use an alternate channel and activate it that way, but how quick is it to react? Also can it be used with a vbar?
poor_red_neck is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
jauguston
Registered Users

I don't think it will work with a V-bar. If you set it up like I did and control it with a slider you can adjust the "Help" from None to A Lot while you are flying. If you have the sensitivity set the at about 70% you can get into just about any situation where a crash is imminent center the right stick and it will be in a stable hover before you could believe it. Its pretty neat.

Jim
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
ktmdiesel
Registered Users

i agree with pengiun and make sure its not reversed or you will start spinning like crazy!
ktmdiesel is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
snjbird
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Co-pilots and the like are BS! Learn to fly, not learn to buy! I have a friend who has been flying since the cricket days, he still can't fly a circle because he is always dicking with co-pilots, Heli commands and what ever new gadget that is ment to fly for you!

Aligns logo is "conquer your heart" kinda true, don't ya think?
snjbird is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
jauguston
Registered Users

snjbird,

The experience you see with ONE friend should not lead you to dismiss flight stabilization systems as somehow not macho enough for everyone. If they are not macho enough for you so be it but there are thousands of potential heli enthusiasts that will be able to master the difficulties of flying one of our toys with the aid of FM or some other system where otherwise they will simply quit. Most don't have experienced flyers to help them and you must admit it ain't easy.

Just because you have distain for them does not make them something that will ruin the hobby forever. Do you feel the same way abour gyros? Do you use a tail gyro? When I flew GMP Crickets and Competitor 60's in the early 80's there were no gyros. The electronic gyro has changed everything. Things change.

Jim
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
snjbird
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Sorry to disagree, but telling someone that getting a Flight stabilization will help them learn is wrong. If they don't want to learn, then so be it, get one.

The reward of going out doing forward flight comes after one learns the basics, not because they bought a system to skip the basics? And that is what people do!

Yes it is very hard to learn, so is learning to fly real airplanes. I teach people to fly, and some of them buy hi tech "gizmos", and try and use them... NOPE we shut them off, or leave them at the FBO. Why? Because you have to learn to crawl before you walk, and learn to walk before you run. If you learn to do it with a "gizmo" then when the "gizmo" is gone, you can't do it at all! How many Cessna 152s or Piper Cadets do you see with auto pilot?

Flight stabilization has a place, AP, UAV, and any other app were your attention may need to be someplace else other than maintaining orientation. But no, I'm afraid not in the "classroom"

If a new guy, who was learning alone, asked me on the threads should I get a Co-polit, I would say, no get a sim!

Last edited by snjbird; 11-15-2010 at 02:53 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
JaggedEdge
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
If your feet are shaking, put a gyro on your feet
No, just lower your gain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
917540 -
1003 -

JaggedEdge is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
jauguston
Registered Users

Should have known - the GA holier than thou attitude. Being a Quicksilver ultralight flyer for many years I should have recognised the attitude. I have experienced it often in the last 15 years.

Bought a Sim. Wasted my money. Bought FM ant they save me money and frustration trying to relearn what I was pretty darn good at when I was 35 years younger (-:

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Jim
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
snjbird
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes but I can do this! Can your Quick silver?

Last edited by snjbird; 11-15-2010 at 10:04 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
jauguston
Registered Users

You for sure have got me there. I usually fly at 500'AGL at 40 mph on 2.75 GPM on 87 octane. You love what you do and so do I.

You said you don't let your GA students use any electronic gadgets. Do you allow your RC pilots use a tail gyro? Do you? Thought so. I guess one gyro is good but three is bad (-:

With your organized flying site and I am sure instructors like yourself available to help the beginners your way works just fine. For the guy out in the rural areas without that help available I believe the stabilization systems make it possible for more people to enjoy this fun/frustrating hobby. There is not only one way as far as I am concerned. What ever it takes.

Jim
Old 11-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
Tomy.
Registered Users

Jim, how's the weather in Bellingham? It is crappy here in Redmond. Need to go indoors.

Sorry can't agree with you. I learned to fly on a FP heli that was so stable, hovered with no stick input. I got the orientation down with little crash damage, in a matter of weeks I flew circles, FFF, FBF, banked and stall turns, moved to CP right there before getting too comfy. Then I realized that I could not fly and practically started from scratch. So I think it's just how you define "learn to fly". You can stay with a full stabilization system happily forever, but will you really fly that heli, or it will fly itself? Worst part for me is never be able to borrow a friends heli ever. Not worth that.

I'm not sure if you're arguing that even on a full stabilization system you will learn all the basics (no you won't) or that you can learn on it an move on (possible, but hard) or yo can stay on it forever (sure you can).

Compass6hvU TRex500 Blade Stretch 150X & Some Micros
Blade 120SR handbuilt Coastguard AW109 see my avatar
For the winter:RF6.5
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
Tomy.
Registered Users

Ah and 3 gyros not equal to full stabilization system, I don't think SNJ was agains the 3 gyros.

Compass6hvU TRex500 Blade Stretch 150X & Some Micros
Blade 120SR handbuilt Coastguard AW109 see my avatar
For the winter:RF6.5
Tomy. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Punkin71
Registered Users

I bought the copilot 2 with the intent of only using the bailout mode when trying new moves. I have it set up to allow the heli to fly normally but if I find the heli in an awkward orientation (for me), with enough altitude I can flip my aux 2 switch and the heli will return to an upright orientation that I can deal with, nose in or tail in, and more than likely save me from crashing.

I have only used the copilot for almost a month now, and can see it works well for this type of use. If it can save me from downtime waiting on parts and going home with 3 fully charged packs and a mangled heli, to me that can be money well spent.
Jr Vibe 50, Beastx, all Futaba servos OS55hz, Hatori sab 50, Radix
Punkin71 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #19
snjbird
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wrote a long, wittily worded reply to your post, I deleted it, and posted the photo instead!
In fact you posted a rib at my profession, and my personality, and I let it slide, because you said "we will have to agree to disagree?"

So let us do just that Jim

Last edited by snjbird; 11-15-2010 at 09:29 PM..
Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #20
jauguston
Registered Users

Tomy,

Like there I am sure. Wind and lots of rain.

I have my FM sensitivity setup on a slider on my Aurora 9 so I can go from 0 FM influence to maximum while flying. As I am getting better at flying I find it set pretty low most of the time. the Oh Sh** help is still there covering my back. My repair parts costs for my two 450's and a 500 have gone from a lot to just about nothing so all is good. I get a little bit braver each time out. I had been stuck at hovering far too long and have now gotten well along.

Jim

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.