START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

Old 12-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
joe1l
Registered Users

Default I have a Flybarless Dilemma ....BeastX or Vbar

Hope everyone had a great Christmas with their families and loved ones. I'm guessing many people here much like myself received many heli-inspired gifts! Well my wife decided to be sneaky this year and try to get me something fun for my heli that i didn't already have. Anyhow she bought me a BeastX.... which I was completely amazed with since i never mentioned anything to her Anyhow I'm guessing she didnt realize i had a brand new vbar min v5 sitting in a box waiting for me to put it on my X5 FES. (right now i'm flying it with a flybar head). I'm not quite sure what to do and which to use on my X5. The original reason i chose the vbar was because a few months ago i setup my Outrage 550 using a used vbar 5 pro and it was what i was familiar most with. To be honest I originally wanted a BeastX but was on what seemed to be an impossible waiting list, then i found a great deal on vbar 5 pro full so I gave it a go. The setup on the vbar 5 was pretty involved but I didnt mind it as it was quite thorough and insured that my first fbl unit would be setup right. Since then though its been a struggle to get it flying well. My impressions of FBL and vbar have not been spectacular. The vbar requires your heli to be virtually vibration free and to get it just perfect is an art. The other thing i dont like with vbar is how sensitive to mounting tape it is. At one point in time I think i had my Rage550 flying pretty dam good but i decided to try play with the tape a bit more to see if i could get it a bit more crisp feeling, and somehow I managed to make it worse. This whole experience had left me a bit hesitant to change the X5 over to FBL, especially since i'm in love with the way it flys with a flybar! I often like encourage the motto if it isn't broken don't try to fix it, but i rarely ever follow my own advice.

Before I do anything, I am going to do some more experimentation. I have my Rage setup now with the vbar built in spectrum analyzer and am trying to rid my heli of the problem vibrations. So far i have made some corrections based on the data and have noticed a much crisper tail because of it (one of my original complaints). My cyclic still doesn't feel right and I still have some more work to do to try to correct it.

Now my dilemma is, what should I do and which should I use on my X5. I know there are both BeastX and Vbar users here but it would be great to get opinions from people who have used both. Also how much time was needed after the vbar or beastx were setup to get the X5 feeling as good as it can get. So far I only know the vbar experience I have had with my Outrage 550, which is a much different heli then the X5, but according the vbar forum, it isnt too unique of an experience.
joe1l is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
nexgen
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you seem to have answered your own question. beastX er up! lots of good results with both units in this forum (I have tried neither one...yet). heck you have both, so if you dont like the way the BeastX feels, slap in the Vbar, play a little flippy/floppy between the two until you find what you like best then you can just ship your least favorite to me, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nexgen is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
what-d-heli
Registered Users

Joe. I just came from my maiden flight with my Bx equipped T500. I posted my report in the Bx forum:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=266148

I can truly say, give it a try! Using a 3G on my 450 Pro. The Bx is one easy tos et-up. You won't be needing a computer in the field just to tweak it and the stock settings are almost spot on.

I'll be replacing the 3G on my 450 Pro and soon put one on my X5 as well.

One good point with the Bx. It is not sensitive with vibration. As I mentioned with my report, no tape combo guesswork needed. I just used a single layer 3M tape and mounted it on top of the boom block which I can't put a strap on. No bad tendencies.

Show your lovely wife how much you appreciate her Christmas gift. Use it and you might actually be surprised! I sure am with the Bx. You don't have anything to lose. Keep the Mini V still packaged and unopened, just in case you decide to sell it in the future .
what-d-heli is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5