Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #41
solidhelix
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawl View Post
Double check the tail bearings, 90% of the time they are bad from the factory.
Would the tail bind while spinning if they were bad?
solidhelix is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #42
NewR
Registered Users

all my newly built birds maiden with training skid... yes, even for the 700... looks funny as hell but better safe than sorry...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
Drev
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just maidened my 600e fb last Sunday. Had never even seen a heli bigger than my MCPx fly in real life. Man "WHAT A RUSH". Love the way those big blades bark. I think I was still shakin' an hour after I got home. Flew 3 batteries thru her & she flew great. Needs a little tweaking in the Tx to make it fly better. Was way too windy for me to fly (hover around) today. Hope to get her back out tomorrow. Drev.
Drev is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #44
JasonJ
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No fear. I OCD the heck out of my builds and rebuilds and my maidens are non events. I get to remaiden my Velocity 50 this weekend after I install the OS55 but not worried about it.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #45
youturnjason
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawl View Post
Double check the tail bearings, 90% of the time they are bad from the factory.
Don't know where that statistic comes from. But I know align would have a huge problem on their hand if 90% of tail bearings in kits were bad.
youturnjason is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #46
K2Freak
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Someone mentioned above spooling up without blades. I do that on maiden and after big changes. Probably less applicable to fb helis but great for fbl. You can check a lot of things...

Citizen 97
K2Freak is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #47
jimmyhorns
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varc View Post
Who's afraid of giving their newly built helicopter their first maiden flight? As you know, I just finished building my Align Trex 250 and finished installing the beautiful Hughes 500 fuselage. It is been tested, programmed, set-up, corrected, and ready for it's first test-flight. Or test-hover.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many of you have gone through this? You have this absolutely gorgeous helicopter that you WANT TO FLY! YOU WANT TO SEE IT FLY! But, your terrified to take off!
Have absolutely been there.

One word of advice, why not learn to fly it without the expensive fuselage?... that way the first few hard landings wont take too much of a toll.....

I was like you petrified. I am good on the sim, sports flying is super easy for me on there.

I had to learn to do something other than hover after I got my 30 (550 size) about 300 ft up and 200ft infront of me after being a little silly with hover practice. It was so far away I had no option but to turn it side on to see how it was moving, and then move into forward flight to bring it closer and lower. In order to get it back I had to do descending figure of 8's and on one turn I forgot NOT to turn nose in and realised what I had done halfway through.

I did have the benefit of lots of plank flying, which made things pretty second nature..

By the time it was back infront of me at an appropriate height and distance I found out I was actually much more comfortable with it moving than hovering.

At some point you are going to have to go for it, and possibly that is going to be when you have to rather than choose to

Good luck!
jimmyhorns is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #48
Viliny
Registered Users

Having crashed my heli yesterday trying to work out the receiver i have to admit im not looking forward to doing it again after the repairs :p
Viliny is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #49
wannaflyguy
Registered Users

11 years ago when I started this hobby, one of the first peices of advice that was given to me was in regard to my question, "Why do we only get 5-6 minutes of flight for all we spend?"

The simple reply I got was, "Cause your nerves can't handle more than that!"

That was so funny & so true. I flew 3 batteries today on my TRex 450 and my knees still shake sometimes when I have to recover from a bad move. NO LIE!!!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #50
Gawl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by youturnjason View Post
Don't know where that statistic comes from. But I know align would have a huge problem on their hand if 90% of tail bearings in kits were bad.
Its very well known that the 450pro v2 kit has a tail bearings issue. Check the forums, majority of the time tail issues are a result of bad bearings from the factory. I had the issue myself and 2 others I know with brand new pro kits had the same thing.

Team Scorpion
Gawl is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #51
AV8TRX
Registered Users

Can you imagine how Yeager felt?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #52
Sabaot
Registered Users

Maiden flight fear? hah! I have shaky legs whenever I lift off. It diminishes with flight time but every first take off I have an adrenaline shot. Sadly due to weather I have a brake so next time I'll go flying I'll be again frightened...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #53
AV8TRX
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8TRX View Post
Can you imagine how Yeager felt?
That being said, I even get nervous test flying my MCPX but its gotten a lot better since I saw the price of a 600. You must be white knuckling the heli all the way to the helipad.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #54
bundydeity
Registered Users

yep! i did the first time i got my b400 going after installing a brand new gy520 and bls257 combo, spent a lot of money buying it at LHS and a lot of setup time (had never setup a gyro before) after it sat in the cupboard for a long time

i was so nervous i just hovered tail-in for the first few flights until i got a feel for it again! as others have posted i still sometimes get a quick adrenaline shot on liftoff which fades as i fly - unless i stuff up then i start again!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #55
solidhelix
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just got back from meeting a Heli/RC heli pilot to go over my first build. He went through the setup top to bottom. He was concerned about a lot of things since it was my first build, but he couldn't find one thing to adjust! That made me real excited. So when we went out to the field to give it a test, he lifted my new 450 sport to a ROCK SOLID hover, ZERO vibe. He flew a couple circuits, set her down and handed me the controls. I nearly shit my pants! I was trembling and told him I don't think I was calm enough to try it. So I sat there just spooling it up and ever so slowly it lifted off the ground, That was it, it hovered for about 5 seconds before I let her back down. Man what a rush, I was still trembling with excitement after an hour drive back home. Now I gotta start getting some stick time!
solidhelix is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #56
Macaco2512
Registered Users

Question

I"ll probably finish my first build this weekend, it is a Trex 450 Pro V2 FBL and I'm kinda nervous about the debut, but I'm also very excited.
I'm still not sure , if I should hold off on Maiden, until I have more time on Sim.
I haven't spent much time on Sim, because this build took all my time and all my money too . He he he .
I'm still learning on my mCP X, I can hover, go forward, back, and side to side, but I cannot just make the freaking turn.
Don't know what this heli would be like. Bigger = Better ; Bigger = Faster ; Bigger more expense. Problably all three right? Well, the last two worry me a bit.

So what do you guys think?
Should I wait on Maiden and have more time on Sim, or should I Just go for it?
Macaco2512 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #57
fourbie
Registered Users

Always terrified of maiden flights and rarely do more than a bit of hovering. I have tilted so many you wouldn't believe, had bits fall off like the other day when the carby screw came out and it cut DEAD, and simply panicked!! Thing is I never trust a new bird, never trust my build and, even worse, my setup. It's the pilot that wrecks my machines, not the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fourbie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #58
Magooch
Registered Users

Did this maiden ever happen Varc?
Gaui X7 Edge BeastX Savox Scorpion CC Ice2 HV120
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Magooch is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please