Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
tkwasny
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Telemetry Warnings / Motor Seized 500M

When I got my DX8 I installed the Telemetry module in my 500. I put the temperature sensor around the motor where it screws into the motor mount and also installed the voltage sensor to keep tract of pack voltage. This weekend about a minute into my second battery, the high temperature warning goes off so I hit hold and was able to auto in. After I landed the motor temp was reading 180 degrees. The motor pinion was so hot that it melted the main gear where it stopped. The main bearing in the motor seized up which caused the overheat. I didn't think the telemetry was really be much use for a helicopter of this size, but now I am thinking it may have saved me a bigger repair bill.

I have ordered a new motor shaft and bearings and a new set of main gears. Is there anything else I should be concerned about? Could it have damaged the ESC or battery

tim
Align 250, stock
Align 500 esp 3G
tkwasny is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
lang123s
Registered Users

I doubt you damaged anything else, but be diligent when you spool it up for the first time after your repairs. You should be fine, but do some bench testing first........
lang123s is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
NRPY
Registered Users

Yeah, sounds like it saved your bacon. Maybe upgrade the motor bearings as it seems to be popular opinion that the stock Align bearings aren't that great. (I would say they aren't that hot, but it would be a lame attempt at humor)
NRPY is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
tkwasny
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the replies. Crazy thing is when I first got this Heli I was having the high pitched screeching coming from the motor, and I had read here about the issues people were having with the Align bearings, so I had already replaced them with BOCAs. I think think I had about 75 - 80 flights on the BOCA bearings before this. I will probably replace the motor eventually with either the MX motor or a Scorpion, but for now I will replace the shaft and bearings and see how that works,
Align 250, stock
Align 500 esp 3G
tkwasny is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
adroc3905
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If they are sealed ceramic bearings from Boca (the better ones $9.99+) maybe they will be interested to have the seized bearings back for inspection to see why it failed. 80 flights seems a little low. This is how companies make their products better for the consumer. They may also offer you a discount or even free replacement. Worst thing that could happen is they say "sorry but no". Worth a shot.
Trex 600 ESP FBL - Beastx
adroc3905 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.