Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Mars/Poseidon

Mars/Poseidon Mars and Poseidon Helicopters

Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Rupi
Registered Users

Default Head exploded on Mars 480!Anyone else?

Today i was out testing my fingers and my Mars and the whole head asembly exploded while hovering 3-4mtr up.What a BANG.... 1 main blade ended up 30-40mtr away!!! It seems that nothing else got damaged exept of a link on 1 tail blade holder.
I have the standard plastic holders and parts on my Mars but after this i will add the alu. upgrade as i have it on my Poseidon and have never had anny issue with that bird!
Headspeed was just around 2700 when it happened and i have a guess that maybe a faulty servo was the terrorist....
Anyone else had anything like this?
Rupi is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
benwhite22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow. I've not had this problem before nor have I heard on anyone else with it. Do you know exactly which part(s) failed?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
praetorious
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Whoa! That's crazy. What exactly is your drive set up, motor kv, pinion and blades? I think i've heard of two instances of this happening.
One was when i was flying, a freak accident really. The feathering shaft just clean sheared away in flight, at the end of the bore for one of the bolts. Upon inspection the thing was rusted. Rust is a problem for me cause i live on an island, near the beach, so the sea spray just messes with everything. I've had OWB, bearing failures all due to rust. I have to change all of mine to ceramic.

Another was over speeding with the original wood blades, which are good only up to 3200rpm. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_76...17/key_/tm.htm

You'll have to do a thorough autopsy to find the cause.
DX7
praetorious is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
Rupi
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I did a realy good spring check on my fleet this weekend electronics,all moving joints+++ and nothing found!The temperature was nice and +8cel.
It seems like one of the blade holders have had a weaknes in the plastic!
No binding anywhere and all moves smooth and freely and the servos are ok.
When i bought my first Gazaur (Poseidon) i remember that one of the extra blade holders had a weaknes and ended in the garbage and it seems like also this blade holder had material or production failure! I will make a couple of photos today.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Flying Dutchy
Registered Users

I am interested where the weakness came from. Did one of the plastic blade holders collapse?

And by the way, no way you can run 3200 rpm with wooden blades!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Rupi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchy View Post
I am interested where the weakness came from. Did one of the plastic blade holders collapse?

Yes,one of the blade holders seem to be of poor quality and left half of the bearing clean on one side!ripped the flybar links and a swash link and this blade ended up 25-30m away!I changed the blade holders and bearings in oct. and checked everyting very good before i lifted. I was lucky that it happened in a low gentle hover or else this would have ended in a new hei!The only way from now on Is alu upgr.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
praetorious
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchy View Post

Oh dang! Thanks for catching that! I had the wrong number in my head(rpm the thing exploded around). The Gazaur woodies are rated to 2400 rpm, but they will do 3000.
The feathering shaft can handle a max load of around 80Kg before it fails, so depending on the blade, the feathering will fail in an overspeed condition before the blades would.

So that is a possible reason. Rupi, what blades are you using?

I want to know if the plastic blade holders failed as well, those are what I will be running on my poseidon (I have sooo many), so i want to be sure of what signs to look for.
DX7
Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Rupi
Registered Users

I have the upgrade tailbom on my Mars so i use 350mm Outrage carbs. I dont do any 3d so i never need high rpm. Im very sure now that the plastic blade holder caused the bang and it seems like a realy clean ripped open cut that left half the bearing naked.Like you i have enough plastic holders but as i said, i dont want to take this chanse again so i feel forced to get another set of alu. upgr. for the head!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
praetorious
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, a single occurrence does statistically mean there's a trend. My grips are a mix of Gazaur's first run, some from later in production, and some new ones, and I haven't had them fail in that way. I think the most I will do is test them and then use them. I've got over 20 pairs of them, so when they are gone then i'll upgrade to metal.
DX7
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Rupi
Registered Users

Yesterday i found time to fix the damaged head,i have 5-6 blade holders as spare but after a closer inspect i found that 2 more seems too weak and 1 of them even has a small brakeage.It seems like 2 of them are as they should but it will be with nerves outside that i lift the first time with them.In a week or so i have the chanse to order one more set of alu. upgr.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
praetorious
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Maybe you can test them with the heli at a high throttle at 0 pitch?

I would definitely get the full alu upgrade though. Those things last through every crash. You have them on your Poseidon right?
DX7
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #12
Rupi
Registered Users

Jepp i have them on my Poseidon but those need new bearings(the small ones).
Seems i be off the court for a week or two if i dont use the plastic pair.....
I finaly got the photo from my phone to my laptop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weakbladeholder.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	219788  
Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
praetorious
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Whoa! That is crazy.
Do you know anyone with a high powered macro lens or a microscope? I'd like to see that broken surface under magnification. Perhaps it can give us a clue as to what happened.

I need new bearings for my grips as well. TBH, I have to buy a full set of bearings for both birds. Dave sells a full bearing pack: http://www.mars480.com/ga480bepa2.html
so that's handy.
My problem is rusting. I live near the sea- on a small island(166 sq mi) to besides- so no escaping it, every piece of exposed metal starts to tarnish or corrode.
I have had two OWB failures because the things rusted out. Dave gave me a tip about using the gazaur dry lube on the owb, and that not only made it easier to install, but seems to have cured the rust problem for now.
DX7
Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
Rupi
Registered Users

"Do you know anyone with a high powered macro lens or a microscope? I'd like to see that broken surface under magnification. Perhaps it can give us a clue as to what happened."

I`d like to have a realy good camera myself...but the broken place seems as cut out with a very sharp knife!And ive found weaknes in two more about the same place.
I don`t fly anything close to 3d so i dont use high rpm and lots of power but i will from now on use only alu. upgrade anyway on both my birds!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Mars/Poseidon

Mars/Poseidon Mars and Poseidon Helicopters