Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand

Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
winginman
Registered Users

Default The Dynam bit the dirt last night

Hovering at about 6 feet the heli suddenly lost power and dropped. Lost a set of blades, bent the feathering shaft and main shaft. I ran through a check of the electronics on the bench and everything seems to work fine. Anyone have any idea or had this happen? I have thought of several possible causes such as radio failure, ESC failure or some kind of interference. Shouldn't be a range issue since I was 10 feet away. Tx is DX6i and receiver is a clone. After repair I will be testing with very low hovering to see if it happens again and if it does try to pinpoint the problem. Have another Rx on order may change it out just in case. Or I have heard about brown outs where Rx does not get enough power and goes into signal loss mode in this case cutting throttle... This is all speculation anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
fast400
Registered Users

My HF Map location

what was the out door temp? were you hovering with the canopy on?
is there alot of drag on the drive train? like a tight belt, main gear to pinion mesh to tight?
there are a few possibles, but these are things you can check first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
retired the 3 year old blade400
fast400 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
winginman
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Canopy on, about 60 F, everything spins free no binding, belt not too tight, pinion ok. However, I had been flying awhile and battery was on the low side. I had wondered if that may have had something to do with it. Usually when battery gets low enough it starts to settle and when I have to give more throttle to stay up time to change battery. This was also a new battery and not one that I had been using before.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
fast400
Registered Users

My HF Map location

some of the less expensive esc dont like heat, hovering with the canopy on can cause a shut down.
can you program the esc`c LVC settings?
i dont run align esc`s because they change the LVC settings, and on older batteries the LVC kicks in way to soon and of course the heli drops out of the sky.
5 minutes in a hover is plenty on a battery, any longer than that you risk damaging the battery.
running a lipo like you have described, is very bad for it. never run a lipo that long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
brianka
Registered Users

hi.i am very soon going to be new to cp helis.since you have a dynam are they really as bad as what i have been reading?i do not expect it to be as good or even close to trex.right now i don't know if i am looking into it too much or not enough.i am trying to decide between the dynam and blade sr and wondering if you can be of some help?
as for your issue,it seems as though your battery simply was too weak to continue power since you stated you had already used it previously without charging before flying again.hope that is all it was.good luck
brianka is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
winginman
Registered Users

I really like the Dynam, it flies very nice even for a newbie like me. Looks like I need to start using a timer on the battery to save what happened the other night. I have replaced the feathering shaft and blades (newly balanced) which I had on hand. I am waiting on a main shaft and should be right back in the air after going over all the settings. I have no complaints on the Dynam it was very quiet and smooth. Note the operable word here was. I will see if I can get it back like it was. I built a HK450GT from a kit and it is also very smooth and quiet, so I think I can get the Dynam back that way. Being new to electrics I will really have to pay more attention to batteries, may have to invest in one of those alert modules. Only thing about the Dynam is you want the one that is receiver ready and then put in your own radio. I use the DX6i so I can tone it down for me. I have gradually changed the settings as I got better with it. If you want a RTF then you may really consider the Blade SR which from what I have heard is pretty docile with the factory radio. Good thing about the Dynam set up is you can use the Tx for other models heli or plane. Fast thanks for the tip on the batteries and ESC. I will take it to heart, I don't want any more of this dropping out of the sky stuff.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
brianka
Registered Users

Thanks and good luck.I am sure you will get it back flying.I have the blade 120sr now and considered the sr but read and heard about the tail motor failing and that's is when I came across the dynam.was mainly looking for belt tail and with the razor it is larger and metal parts.thanks again for your input.
brianka is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
winginman
Registered Users

New feathering shaft, new blades and new main shaft... Back in the air flies sweet as ever. Lesson learned. Now use a timer and bring it down after 6 minutes of hovering. (I did not realize how short 6 minutes is, I have been pushing battery and ESC much longer. Bad idea...) Battery only a little warm. I relocated the ESC to a cooler position and is only very slightly warm after 6 minutes. Still I think I will keep close to the ground for a half dozen more flights or so. Last night was test flight in the garage about midnight when I got it all back together, blades balanced, etc. The new shaft seems smoother than the original. It was a however a real b____ to get out. Two of the set screws stripped, man it was in tight. Tried the soldering iron trick and it still stripped. Finally had to cut the collar with the Dremel. Now I know why they give you new ones with the shafts. Replaced the Dynam set screws with hard SS from RCscrewz. Not gonna fight this next time I have to replace a shaft.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
fast400
Registered Users

My HF Map location

sounds good man,
batteries can get expensive fast if you abuse them, but can last a nice long time if you dont.

at least you sound to be having fun, this is the most important part.
if you want US based good cheap batteries, check out www.hobbypartz.com
i run the gens ace and blue lipos, very nice for the money. im going to get a couple of the sky lipos to try out soon as well.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
winginman
Registered Users

Just got the Dynam back together again... This time it was really my fault. This time I screwed up a turn and was too low and put it in the dirt. This time I had the parts on hand. New rotor blades (found CP blade parts all over the place...), new main shaft, new main gear, new landing gear, feathering shaft two servos and maybe a new frame if the epoxy doesn't hold... But I was having fun, guess you can't get better if you don't try new stuff. It's back in the air, all trimmed and smooth as ever. Now if the weather will just cooperate so I can get back out there and try it again.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
zsnowrider
Registered Users

I have erazor 450 and have only had 2 incedents of such a thing but on mine aileron servo just slowly moved downward with no stick input causing it to tilt left and go into the ground i found if iwiggled the trim for that that there was a spot where it would cause that, so i have a new radio coming to hopefully fix that issue. Itherwize its been a great heli for ne with near a hundred flights. Ps i set my timer on my phone for 10 minutes and fly 3 packs out each time i go and they still have plenty left never have ran down so 6 min is quite a short flight
zsnowrider is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Electric Helicopters

Electric Helicopters Dedicated to larger than Micro/Mini Electric Helicopters of any Brand