Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
rotorfan
Registered Users

Default Idle up ?

Have yet to flip the switch, but finally feel comfortable enough with my flying that I want to try it. My ? is on setting it up using DX6i so only have 2 positions norm and idle up. my norm settings with ice75 in gov. mode are 2400 head spead TC 0-30-30-30-30 and PC is 40-45-50-75-100 so I want to set I/U to 2500 head spead and CC software recomends a flat 70 TC so would that be 70-70-70-70-70? I wouldnt want a 0 in there anywere correct? and what pitch curve would I use? Just been afraid to flip the switch and want things to go well when I do. Shitting my pants sitting here just considering flipping it.
Thanks
rotorfan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Suburban92
Registered Users

My HF Map location

subscribed.. wanna know too
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
bmclaurin
Registered Users

Correct...just flat 70 all the way across, no zero points. And use a linear pitch curve...0-25-50-75-100. Go for it!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
bmclaurin
Registered Users

One other thing...I suggest making sure you have your throttle hold calibrated properly and that you have auto-recovery enabled. CC has a couple vids on their site that explains this very well. Obviously, you don't want to jam the throttle stick down in IU if you get in trouble, or you will slam her down pretty hard. And you need a convenient way to cut the throttle when landing. But if your TH is set to zero, and you hit that during flight (either on purpose or on accident), then she is going to go through the slow spool-up when you flip the TH back off.

And auto-recovery allows you to use TH at a setting higher than zero such that it doesn't re-arm the controller and go through the slow spool-up again when you flip the switch back off. Pretty handy.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
rotorfan
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dont understand the linier PC 0-25-50-75-100 running 40-45-50-75-100 in norm. dont I need a 100 on both ends in I/U?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Suburban92
Registered Users

My HF Map location

pitch curve is different.. remember if you have your heli setup so that 0% stick is -10 degrees pitch and 100% stick is +10 degrees

then you would want 0-50-100 linear pitch curve... if you wanna fly upside down
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
rotorfan
Registered Users

maybe Im not ready!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Suburban92
Registered Users

My HF Map location

whay do you wanna fly in idle up? I know everyone swears by it but why
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
dannylightning
Registered Users

My HF Map location

throttle curve changes how many rpm the blades spin at, in IU you want to keep a stady head speed, a flat line all the way across the the way to go, the motor keeps the same amount of RPM and your throttle stick just adjust the pitch of the blades.

all 3 of my switch positions are IU i don not have a normal mode, as soon as i turn ooff the throttle hold she spools up......
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
bmclaurin
Registered Users

Well, even if you don't want to fly inverted, there are still some advantages, especially if you are using a CC controller. You could certainly keep your non-linear pitch curve for sport flying or whatever, along with a flat-70 TC (assuming set RPM mode). That way, you don't risk accidentally zero-ing your throttle with a low stick input, thus re-spooling with slow start.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
jamming
Registered Users

Just think of it this way !

Lets you focus on flying and not on throttle control ! Electric motors run best at max RPM also so loading is not as big a issue !!

Cyclic control is the key to flying 3-d and of course orientation !
jamming is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
rotorfan
Registered Users

do I use the linier PC in norm and I/U? Think I need more research with the throttle hold and all. wish there was someone close to walk me through trial and error is expensive but guess thats what Ill do.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #13
dannylightning
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorfan View Post
do I use the linier PC in norm and I/U? Think I need more research with the throttle hold and all. wish there was someone close to walk me through trial and error is expensive but guess thats what Ill do.
throttl hold is the switch you click to cut power to the motor, in IU you use 0-25-50-75-100 for the pitch curve; in normal mode you still use what ever pitch curve and throttle curve you like.

The F mode switch on your radio switches from normal to IU. in IU you can controol how fast the helicopter goes up in the air, and how fast it comes back to the ground, if i a big gust of wind starts making your helicopter go up in the air and keep going up how are you gonna bring it back down in normal mode.... it coud fly away,, lol
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
Larry227
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Since you're using the Governor in Normal mode you're already basically flying in idle up so you really don't have anything to be scared of. The only thing that will change is you'll have more negative pitch. Once you get used to that you can change your "Normal" pitch curve to linear and it will be like two idle up modes.
If you're already landing fine in your "Normal" governor mode there's nothing to worry about. You'll land just fine with a linear pitch curve. You don't really bring the stick all the way gown to land anyways right? Sort of float it down and it lands about midstick. That will be the same with either curve.

To answer your TC question, yes just run a flat 70 curve for your faster headspeed. Idle up and Normal are just names on the switch. No different than if you just called them Position 0 and Position 1. You can set either position however you want.
Larry227 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
rotorfan
Registered Users

thanks guys will try tomorrow weather permitting 30 mi gusts today whats the wost that can happen? crash again
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
T/CHunter2009
Registered Users

Default 2 Idle ups = no more reg mode.

I use both modes in Idle up with my DX6i Both modes are set up in Gov, mode .{ 2600 & 2700rpms. } Set it up for ever works best for you. I turn radio on ; set left stick just below center and then flip throttle hold on , then I plug in heli flight pack. Reciever will bind seeing 0 throttle. Both Pitch curves are the same. There Set to plus and minus 11 degrees @ high and low stick. Like larry says you land with your pitch curve at around mid stick anyway. So when your done flying and land just flip throttle hold on again and you good to go. Once you get used to flying in Idle up you wont ever use reg mode again. Just remember to bind your heli in safe mode . so it sees {0} throttle to power up RX and bind. Give it a try I am sure you'll like it.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
fvdriver
Registered Users

I had concerns going to I/U but as the guys say here its easy once you think about it. Also if you have any questions about your CC settings call the guys at CC they have always been extremely helpful (and patient) with me in explaining things.
fvdriver is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
bmclaurin
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by T/CHunter2009 View Post
I turn radio on ; set left stick just below center and then flip throttle hold on , then I plug in heli flight pack. Reciever will bind seeing 0 throttle.
T/C, so you set TH at zero and use that to arm/initialize your controller at power-up? Do you also use soft start? If so, don't you run the risk of accidentally hitting TH in flight and not being able to quickly regain headspeed (since your controller will re-arm the instant it sees zero throttle and go into soft start)?

I'm not asking this to be critical of your setup; rather, I'm just trying to learn from others who are more experienced than I. To me, it seems safer to have a zero point set in your Normal throttle curve and use that to arm/initialize the controller at startup. Then, using the auto-recovery feature of the CC controllers, set your TH at something above zero such that you don't inadvertently initiate a soft-start during flight.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
helidude71
Registered Users

I think T/C is using for normal mode 30-30-30-30-30, IDL1 75-75-75-75-75 and IDL2 100-100-100-100-100.

I use this and because my normal mode does NOT have a zero in it, we use the TH switch to arm the ESC.
And of course when panic kicks in or you want to do an autorotation.

Remember, the TC only point to the SET RPM boxes from your CC ESC.
You have to use the same numbers on all five positions in SET RPM mode.
Phoenix R/C v5
helidude71 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
Larry227
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also only use TH to arm the motor and have soft start enabled. If you worry about hitting the TH switch then don't enable TH until you're ready to arm the motor. You can initialize the heli with TH off. Then when you're ready to arm it flip TH on, wait for the beeps then flip it back off to spool up.
Larry227 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.