Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography


Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #21
Ruud Westerhout
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans
Yes, it has a clear view. The manual explains the required view window.
Care to send some more pictures, from other side, to I get "the picture" better.

As for your 2nd answer. I thought that I would be able to "re-use" the HC at any moment I decide to switch it on again. Or better, if I am steering for myself for some time, feeling I am loosing control I can let go of the aileron/elevator stick and the HC will level the heli. I understood this even in case I have done a looping or something, is that nor correct ?

I could not find this in my manual. Not that I intend to do such (for a long time) but still.

regards,
Ruud
Ruud Westerhout is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
Gary Evans
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mesa, Az
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Westerhout
Care to send some more pictures, from other side, to I get "the picture" better.

As for your 2nd answer. I thought that I would be able to "re-use" the HC at any moment I decide to switch it on again. Or better, if I am steering for myself for some time, feeling I am loosing control I can let go of the aileron/elevator stick and the HC will level the heli. I understood this even in case I have done a looping or something, is that nor correct ?

I could not find this in my manual. Not that I intend to do such (for a long time) but still.

regards,
Ruud








It takes up to 10 second for full accuracy when the unit is turned on and I believe but don't know for sure that the heli should be level during this period. It thats correct you can't just turn it on for a save when your already in deep poo poo.
If its already on and you get in trouble I understand you can just release the controls and it will right itself unless you have just completed multiple stunts. This is in referance to the 3D or rigid version as the standard 3 version will not tolerate any stunt moves.
Gary Evans is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #23
Ruud Westerhout
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia
Default

Quote:
It takes up to 10 second for full accuracy when the unit is turned on and I believe but don't know for sure that the heli should be level during this period. It thats correct you can't just turn it on for a save when your already in deep poo poo.
If its already on and you get in trouble I understand you can just release the controls and it will right itself unless you have just completed multiple stunts. This is in referance to the 3D or rigid version as the standard 3 version will not tolerate any stunt moves.
A little disappointed I am, as I misunderstood this. On the other hand I am not planning to make such moves and use it for safety. I have Reflex, which should help me, in case I want to really go 3D.

If I have used and experience with my HC, I will be able to tell all here, how it works.

And thanks Gary, for those pictures. Very clear and nicely done. I will consider changing my setup, although I am afraid that my heli will then decline even more to the back.

CU
Ruud[/quote]
Ruud Westerhout is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #24
xircom
Registered Users
 
Posts: 362
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokyo - Japan
Default

Quote:
The Helicommand is not intended for use during prolonged stunt flying. The 3D version can handle single turn maneuvers and inverted flight. For multiple 3D maneuvers the manual recommends turning it off before hand and not turning it back on until 15-20 seconds after completion.
Now I read it too, in the manual - means for me, not using the box for AP, but emergency, the infra system is much better, as it allows to return to horizontal even after 10 min acrobatic flight at anytime. Thanks, now I understand !

Guess inertial based system would be similar as above, just much more accurate... best in this case would then be inertial mixed with IR... of course for this only purpose.
xircom is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #25
Gary Evans
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mesa, Az
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xircom
Quote:
The Helicommand is not intended for use during prolonged stunt flying. The 3D version can handle single turn maneuvers and inverted flight. For multiple 3D maneuvers the manual recommends turning it off before hand and not turning it back on until 15-20 seconds after completion.
Now I read it too, in the manual - means for me, not using the box for AP, but emergency, the infra system is much better, as it allows to return to horizontal even after 10 min acrobatic flight at anytime. Thanks, now I understand !

Guess inertial based system would be similar as above, just much more accurate... best in this case would then be inertial mixed with IR... of course for this only purpose.
The biggest problem I've read about with existing infrared systems is that they require flat terrain surrounding the heli. There have been some crashes caused by the system misinterpreting horizontal because it was operated to close to hills, trees or buildings. That was the biggest differance I saw between the HC and infrared.
Gary Evans is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
GGoodrum
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Orange County, CA
Default

double post...
__________________
-- Gary


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #27
GGoodrum
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Orange County, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans
The biggest problem I've read about with existing infrared systems is that they require flat terrain surrounding the heli. There have been some crashes caused by the system misinterpreting horizontal because it was operated to close to hills, trees or buildings. That was the biggest differance I saw between the HC and infrared.
Actually, that isn't really true anymore since Angelos added the "cal" feature, that we here on HF asked him to do. What we do now is just get the helicopter in a stable hover and then activate the cal function for about 1 second. It tells the unit to "remember" the current attitude and then hold to it from that point once the gain is turned up. It works quite well if there is no wind or if there is a steady wind. You also can't change the tail/heading. The HC doesn't have the tail direction holding restriction but without a similar "cal" function all it is going to do is try and "level" the rotor disk which means it will drift in a steady wind as well as in gusty conditions.

Just having a 3-axis gyro system is not enough, I think. What is also needed are accelerometers in each axis. That way vector velocities can be calculated and corrections applied to zero out those velocities.

-- Gary
__________________
-- Gary


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:33 AM   #28
xircom
Registered Users
 
Posts: 362
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokyo - Japan
Default

well yes, first I think those buildings and trees etc - even hills have no big influence if enough far away, I am flying just besides a railway bridge (less than 100m) and several high buildings (about 500m) and my AP2000 does not care at all.

This cal function, true it remembers this, but then of course you cannot turn 180 and think it's still leveling horizontal, for AP I guess you are fine, for aborting 3D is of course not useful. That what I have understood.

Definitely accelrometers are needed for the gyro system, but still for a 10 min 3D flight and then aborting with emergency switch to horizontal, this accuracy would be almost impossible to pay ... and actually for this special purpose most of the pilots are fine if the heli is "just about" straight, for this IR is perfect.
__________________
*** fly more ***
xircom is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #29
GGoodrum
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Orange County, CA
Default

Well, for AP/AV applications you aren't doing 3D at all, much less for 10 minutes. All I want is a system that will hold the helicopter in one spot that doesn't cost $10,000. Neither the AP-2000i or the HC are there yet.
__________________
-- Gary


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GGoodrum is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #30
xircom
Registered Users
 
Posts: 362
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokyo - Japan
Default

yes I fully agree with you, this is why I wrote "for this special purpose" (3D), IR does the job quite well as I experienced.
xircom is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
nzreg
Registered Users
 
Posts: 107
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Default

Hi,
A question for Gary Evans. I understand how you switch modes on the HC by assigning the flight mode switch to AUX 2 but what I don't understand is how does this affect the throttle curve and pitch curve.
I am interested in scale so am not to worried about flying in normal mode on the tail gyro but wonder how is the throttle/pitch designated.
Hope you can understand what I am trying to say.
nzreg is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #32
Aerial RC Photog
Registered Users
 
Posts: 395
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Royse City, Texas
Default Spartan

Throttle and RUDD are not pluged into the AP2000I
Thank god for that , I guess the guys that built the thing knew where the limits were...
I have one hooked to the TREX600N...
Get the Trims right!!! Set the Gain PIT / Aile /elev somewhere around 60%..
Your good to go.. I had my set to 30% when I started,,, that killed pitch down to 4.5 Degrees,, I kicked it up to 60% and 11.5 Degrees. And I sitll had 30 % to go,,,
But at 60% I got a slight Bog on the OS 50 Hyper,,, But Def,,, a rocket ship,,,
My T600E kicks off faster that D13 Rocket ,,
__________________
Personal Information security buff. FTC IC3 ask me how.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aerial RC Photog is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography


Aerial Videography and Photography Aerial Video/Photo from R/C Helicopters

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com