Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
AlistairHowie
Registered Users

Default Tail blade balancing

I'm a newbie and having balanced my stock Align main blades, I thought I would balance my tail blades as well for good measure. I was using the small Align blade balancing tool, but depending on which way I fixed the blades on the balance, I got mixed results. Putting the blades the same way around e.g. leading eadge to the top of the pivot balance tool thing, I got one result, turning them the other way with the trailing edge upwards seemed to give another, and opposing the blades gave a third result.

In the end, I balanced the blades when they were opposing, figuring that's the best way since it's how they spin on the machine. They now appear perfectly balanced, but I'm now having second thoughts about whether I should just take the tape off and leave them the way they were because of the ambiguious results I was getting doing it the other ways. (I was careful to ensure the blades were level with each other, using the straight edge of a table to fix them to the balancer). They didn't appear to be that much out of balance in the first place.

In all the Trex 550e photos that I've seen in the sticky to this forum, I don't think I've seen balance tape on any of the helicopters. Should I take it off, leave it on, or try balancing another way?? I haven't got my lipos yet so I can't spool up to check. I presume if they are out of balance, it will be very evident on spool up, but is that the case as well if they are even just a little bit out?

Thx for the input.
AlistairHowie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Chris_M
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I balance mine with the leading and trailing edges straight across in the same direction. The tail blades that I have used are usually only off a gram or two and I use scotch tape purposely so you cant see it. I always check the weight of my blades out of the box and if they are the same or off slightly I will send them up and watch the tail for excessive vibration. If it looks good then I'll just fly with them if not then I'll balance. I have to say though that running a vbar I can just run the spectrum analyzer and pick up any tail vibes very quickly which makes things a lot easier too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
rcflier1
Registered Users

i have found some 550 tail blades way off.
rcflier1 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
AlistairHowie
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Scotch tape, what a great idea - replaced my main blade tape with that last night! Looks much better.

I tried balancing my tail blades again but the small Align balancer that I'm using doesn't seem up to the job when doing static balancing. The blades still tip in different directions depending on whether I fix them in the balancer leading edge up, trailing edge up or opposing.

I probably need to invest in some better balancing gear but as I have a mini-vbar blueline pro, as suggested I spin it up and look at the vibration analyser. Good idea, thanks.
AlistairHowie is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Chris_M
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is the balancer I use http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../hmxr4855.html
The great thing about this one is that you can get the correct CG of each individual blade first and then the overall CG by setting them both up together. I have seen some guys just balance each individual blade or just both blades together but in order for the head to spin true its best to do both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris_M is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.