Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

View Poll Results: Which 550 size heli?
Gaui Hurricane 425/500/550 7 5.51%
Century Swift NX 12 9.45%
Gaui X5 43 33.86%
Trex 550 71 55.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #21
lazor 22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ha, my favorite is the R/T Classic too. But I like Hemi Orange best. Also would love a 1970's but it's a PITA to restore a car. Wish they had put some chrome on the bumpers of the new one, and not put so much safety crap built in to it.
lazor 22 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
ChrisH
HF Support

Alright, let's not get too sidetracked here guys...

Tim, I'd recommend the T-Rex 550e. You still want local parts support, but also a good quality machine that will last you a while. Buy the kit and sell the electronics, you won't get all the money back but you'll have an Align heli which is miles ahead of any clone in terms of quality.

Also ... I've built and flown a couple Century Swifts. They are alright, but the quality is not there IMO. At least on the carbon frame, everything seems like an afterthought. Additionally, get ready to spend a LOT of time massaging and swapping out (i.e. buying) parts to get rid of slop or tightness.
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #23
FlyingFiz
Registered Users

Default X5 for me

Personally I'd go the X5, but I have only heard good things about the Outrage, but I think it's just a personal choice coupled with the availability of parts in your neighbourhood. I think both of these are a step up from the Rex.

The only clone to get if you go that way is the Tarot, but its a 500, not 550, and its a big step down from the Align.

Lots of planes foam UM's to balsa 2 metre wingspan and a few helis.
FlyingFiz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #24
flyinghigh450
Registered Users

Only 550's I flown was the Trex 550 and Outrage 550 ..I would forsure go with the Trex 550.Would love to say Guai X5 because it's a sweet looking heli but haven't flown one.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #25
tptompkins
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh450 View Post
Only 550's I flown was the Trex 550 and Outrage 550 ..I would forsure go with the Trex 550.Would love to say Guai X5 because it's a sweet looking heli but haven't flown one.
What didn't you like about the Outrage?

Tommy
tptompkins is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
flyinghigh450
Registered Users

Head part's bend too easy,tail gear box/case thread's strip too easy,too many part's on the head/tail ect....Wasn't at all happy with the metal quality of the Velocity 50 and 550.I have 3 crash video's on youtube and 1 I didn't get which was a who rekit.2 crashe's were about 5ft off the ground and not hard at all,the other was a tip over and the rekit was a dumb thumb about 15-25ft from the ground.Each time it broke the blade grim's which was MIA because they snap right off.When it broke,I lossed the upper mixing arm with link rod's with it .Out of them 3 time's,it stripped the hole's in the tail case twice so I had to buy new one's.That's not counting the normal crash part's.The rekit really didn't hit hard but broke both frame's,swash plate ect...Didn't have the heli for a month I think and sold it after the rekit.
My buddy has the Outrage 550 and it's the same way as the Velocity 50.I flown it many time's and the Trex 550 fly's better.I landed in a small hole with the Outrage 550 that I couldn't see because the grass was too high and the same thing,bent one blade grim,broke the other off and he has the same issue's with the tail case.If the metal was better,I would of never went back to Align because I loved the way it flew but Outrage 550 didn't fly better than the Trex 550...That was about 8 month's ago so maybe they did some update's..

Not bashing Outrage,just wasn't happy at all .
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #27
Rob43
Registered Users

I have owned and flown my Outrage 550 for a few seasons now. Gotta love how it flies for sure. Excellent stability around center stick, and plenty of snappy cyclics with more stick. I think the drive is capable of about Warp 7. I sure wish the Outrage company would commit to refinements, but they don't seem to be. The kit still has the same issues it had when introduced: weak elevator control setup, less than top quality plastic pulleys, very limited battery tray size. (Don't argue with refinements O550 owners have done themselves). And now, you still can't buy it FBL. That is rather insulting considering the majority of models out there are offered either way.

I would not be so sure of parts availability. The writing on the wall is Outrage isn't going to support this platform much longer. Plenty of excellent stateside reps will tell us different, but Outrage is not focusing on the American market, IMO.
Rob43 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
cromanon
Registered Users

Logo 500 no doubt about it!
cromanon is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #29
freewheel510
Registered Users

Outrage 550. Flies awesome, excellent design. I've had crashes serious enough for the heli to bounce 6 feet in the air, and relatively minor damage: blades, boom bent, main gear stripped, main shaft.

With an Align on a crash like that, and you're looking at a re-kit, or at least $200 of parts.
freewheel510 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #30
klamp
Registered Users

+1 for Outrage 550 for already stated reasons.

I hate the slanted battery tray on trexes.

Trex 450 Pro: Vbar 5, Hitec 65s, JR 3500G, Scorpion 2221-8, Kontronik Jazz 40
klamp is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #31
guitarherowanab
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i am looking at this decision sometime this summer as well. i wasnt aware that the outrage used the 550 blades....i like that.

as for the t550, i think www.grandrc.com has the build your own combos.

rob
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #32
lazor 22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The outrage uses 550-570mm blades stock and cam be stretched into a light weight 600 swinging 600-630mm blades using a velocity/fusion 50 tail boom and a longer belt (not sure which one but it is out there because people are using it).
Old 05-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #33
MpVpRb
Registered Users

I have a Trex 600 that I like a lot.

I assume the Trex 550 is very similar to the 600.

Don't know much about the others.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #34
scott s

Outrage 550 without a doubt and consider FBL with the velocity 50 fbl head and swash. Ya it will cost more but this set up is absolutely un beatable. Plus choose the electronics you want to use. Parts count is not as bad as others think and this heli wont destroy your servos every time you take a dirt nap.
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
Winfred
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, the Outrage rocks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Winfred is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #36
scott s

Oh I forgot, Ya the trex 550 can swing 550 blades as long as you use shorter tail blades which kinda defeats the purpose of swinging the bigger blades because there will be more tourqe to compensate for and also you will need to run a lower head speed with the bigger blades. Counter productive dont you think?
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #37
philipfrank

you can run 2500 headpseed with 92 mm blades, no problem.

i prefer 550 blades, 600 boom/belt, 95mm tail.
philipfrank is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #38
OnTheSnap
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Oh I forgot, Ya the trex 550 can swing 550 blades as long as you use shorter tail blades which kinda defeats the purpose of swinging the bigger blades because there will be more tourqe to compensate for and also you will need to run a lower head speed with the bigger blades. Counter productive dont you think?
I'm running a T550e with 550mm align and 86mm tail blades. Tail actually performs awesome and IMO 86mm is all that's needed. When I say "awesome" it's qualified with the standard tail torture test (credited to OICU).

The test is simply a full collective/speed backwards inverted hurricane clockwise. Once up to speed drop the tail slowly into a funnel. If it manages to hold, your setup is bulletproof.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #39
jmancobra
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Outrage 550 without a doubt and consider FBL with the velocity 50 fbl head and swash. Ya it will cost more but this set up is absolutely un beatable. Plus choose the electronics you want to use. Parts count is not as bad as others think and this heli wont destroy your servos every time you take a dirt nap.

are you saying the velo/fusion head fits on the O550?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #40
lazor 22
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^Yes the 550 Shares lots of parts with the velocity and fusion.

BTW the Outrage allows you to run huge motors on it, and it's open so you don't have to cut your frames and crap like on the Align. Plus like said before setting mesh is so freaking easy compared to the align.

Plus I hear about these people running 2500 or 2800rpm on their Align 550s. You don't have to run a scary fast HS to get good performance out of the Outrage. 2250-2300 is perfect.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please