Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
USMCRay1
Registered Users

Default Metal refitting components

Has anyone seen this yet and more important has anyone used it? I was wondering if it was a good idea or too heavy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Align-T-Rex-100-...item3f0a10a718
USMCRay1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
USMCRay1
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anyone?
Blade CP
DX6i
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
arquitron
Registered Users

Did you buy these components?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
USMCRay1
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I haven't bought them yet. I was wanting to get some kind of input to see if they are worth getting or too heavy for the little bird.
Blade CP
DX6i
Old 06-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Daktari
Registered Users

Bought Trex 100 3 weeks ago. My first flying Heli. I built a Kalt Baron 30 in the 80's but never put in radio and engine. Bought and installed metal parts last weekend. I like them. Let me tell you how my heli is set up. Changed tail motor and tail to Nine Eagles Solo Pro setup. Got a new flybar and sanded the inside to make it super smooth. so smooth that when I hold the heli in my hand and I rotate it the flybar wants to stay level. I am using the two washers even with the aluminum head so there is no slop. In the dampener shaft I lubed it so it was super smooth and installed a couple of washers so the blades are firmly on but smooth and precise. Kept control arm on flybar smooth too, you do not want it binding. Adjusted the servo links per the manual to keep the cyclic centered. The info about that on Page 16 in manual Items # 9 &10.

Heli flies beautiful. Hovers nice and easy and I am able to practice my flying with ease and fun. I am finally liking the experience as I do not have to be chasing a heli that will not behave.
Daktari is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
AzHeli-Heli
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just installed the bling setup and really like it. Not sure if the very small amount of plastic head wobble was from crashes or not since I never checked it right out of the box, but the aluminum head has zero wobble as expected. I have slammed this thing into countless walls for the past month and cannot understand the smack talk it gets from some. Only damage I have obtained is one broken landing skid and pulled out one of the mixing levers a couple times. Located the screw on the tile floor and put it back together. I have found it very durable. Anyway added the bling and a new set of blades since they were bent up real good and it flies beautiful. Also have to mention that one reason I threw these parts on is the tail motor mount acts as a heat sink. Put a drop of CA on it instead of the recomended epoxy and shot of activator to keep the motor from sliding out.
AzHeli-Heli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
Daktari
Registered Users

Finally got some decent pics of the alu head. Have not installed motor mount yet. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9369.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	235609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9353.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	235610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9343.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	235611   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9339.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	235612  
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
Frank_fjs
Registered Users

What does the heli weight after all the aluminium upgrades have been installed? How much is flight time and power reduced by, due to the extra weight?
Frank_fjs is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Daktari
Registered Users

I dont have a scale to weigh it. Flight time is about the same as the other head. Power is ok I have noticed that it seems to be smoother maybe it has more inertia I notice that the blades rotate more freely when I power off. With the plastic parts they just stopped. I think its an improvement especially for the price. I have been flying 10+ flights a day for the last 2 weeks.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #10
AzHeli-Heli
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I sorta thought it might have been smoother too, but I did replace pretty warped blades at the same time. Honestly after you pull the parts out of the container they come in they are so light that you won't even think to weight them. I normally do things like weighing upgraded parts and it never even crossed my mind with these. They look bigger than they actually are. When you opent the case everyone I have shown them too is surprised at how small they are.
AzHeli-Heli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
nightofcarnage
Registered Users

Omg tail motor mount a pain in the A to put on. Also you need to loctie it to the motor or motor will slip out. But it all looks very nice.
nightofcarnage is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
arquitron
Registered Users

Default Does it really make it any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightofcarnage View Post
Omg tail motor mount a pain in the A to put on. Also you need to loctie it to the motor or motor will slip out. But it all looks very nice.
Ok guys, it looks very nice but does it really make it any better? Please provide your impressions. Thx.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
Pompano Mike
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRay1 View Post
Has anyone seen this yet and more important has anyone used it? I was wondering if it was a good idea or too heavy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Align-T-Rex-100-...item3f0a10a718
I'd have to ask...why?

I had a Walkera 4#3B and added metal parts and tweeks but in all seriousness, it didn't fly noticeably better.

On the bigger helis, 450 and up, I can see the difference in performance with aftermarket parts. But maybe it's nice just to enjoy the micros for what they are....

I think sometimes those of us in this hobby fall to the same thing that golfers and fishermen fall into. "If only I had this new club I could take 12 strokes off my game. "If only I had this lure, I could catch a lot more fish"...

IMO

Last edited by Pompano Mike; 07-13-2011 at 05:13 AM..
Pompano Mike is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
theradioman
Registered Users

I agree with you Mike lots of hobbies have the small add on "performance enhancement" bits that cost a lot but don't add much in performance in absolute term. I suppose its part of the hobby in a way to seek the ultimate machine ...but one none of us ever achieves!!
theradioman is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
MaDDN3ss
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompano Mike View Post
I'd have to ask...why?

I had a Walkera 4#3B and added metal parts and tweeks but in all seriousness, it didn't fly noticeably better.

On the bigger helis, 450 and up, I can see the difference in performance with aftermarket parts. But maybe it's nice just to enjoy the micros for what they are....

I think sometimes those of us in this hobby fall to the same thing that golfers and fishermen fall into. "If only I had this new club I could take 12 strokes off my game. "If only I had this lure, I could catch a lot more fish"...

IMO

Why? Simply... because we can.
Isn't that the main idea anyway?
MaDDN3ss is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
demiluk
Registered Users

So no other impression and opinions about these metal re-fitting component?
I was thinking to buy them, but it seems that they are totally unuseful.
Everyone agree on that?
demiluk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
lemaster
Registered Users

just stuck them on today
didnt think they would be heavier but they slow the machine down heaps
it also makes it more unstable so dont bother
im going to have to make a motor mod i think now for more power ;p
lemaster is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
brownviper1966
Registered Users

I ve used the metal head and tail motot holder on mine. I get the impression that the heli COG is making the Rex unstable, keeps pitching forward. I tried to lengthen the servo links but still to no effect.

could the weight distribution is a factor to suspect?
brownviper1966 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #19
horacer7
Registered Users

To anyone using the metal out fitting kit. instruction call for T34 threadlock, i that the red type or green type? Thanks.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 100 Class Electric Helicopters

100 Class Electric Helicopters 100 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.