Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
44SkyHi
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Tail-motor housing - removal from tail boom???

At some point in the future, I'd like to put a RakonHeli tail-motor mount on my 120. I'm still very new to "modding" these things, though, and I can't figure out how to remove the original mount from the boom. I've tried pulling on it, but it doesn't move. Is it a simple press-fit, and I'm just not pulling hard enough... or is there a trick that I need to know?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Bloosee
Registered Users

If its like the mCP X it is press fit, but VERY tight. To pull it out of the mCP X I had to crush the CF tube and pull it out in pieces. But the go to mod on that heli is a solid CF boom, so smashing it doesn't matter. You may try and just purchase a piece of CF tube and make your own tail boom. It would be cheaper to do it that way in the long run =>break it - make a new one!

Or you could just sacrifice a quarter inch of boom and just cut it right at the motor mount. Probably wound not affect flight characteristics.

Nice thing about the 120SR tail motor is it unplugs! So unplug it pull the wire out, cut it, insert wire back, install RKH mount, and finally plug motor back in.
Bloosee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
44SkyHi
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Thanks for the info!

So it's like the CF canopy-mount bars, which are likewise impossible to pull out. I've already gotten 4 ft of solid CF rod that I'll use when I replace those.

Regarding the tail-boom, though, and its wires... I'm not sure what you mean by "pull the wire out, cut it (the CF tube), insert wire back...."

It really doesn't appear that the plugs on either end of the boom wires will fit into the CF tube. Am I mis-judging the size, or do I need to file-down the motor plug a little (if that's even feasible), so it'll fit into the the tube shaft? Or do I need to make new wires, and solder new plugs onto them (a proposition that I somewhat dread to undertake just yet)?

Sorry to be so ignorant... but I'm really loving learning to fly these things (this is my first RC experience), and I'm really excited to be re-learning to model; something I haven't done since I was a teen (I'm happily retired). My goal, at this point, is to progress to a 450-level bird by next spring.

Anyway... regarding removing the motor-mount... any further advice or clarification that that you or anyone else can offer will be HUGELY appreciated... and the more detailed it is, the better.

As time goes on, and I manage to master some of these mod techniques, I hope to submit photo-illustrated step-by-step instructions for many of them, and post them in the "mod list" sticky, similar to the one I just did on a tail-rotor-bearing keeper.

Thanks again for the friendly help. I love this website!

P.S.: Hope it's nice and cool in San Diego... my outdoor thermometer reads 105 right now.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help