Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters

Compass Model Helicopters Compass Model Helicopter Discussion

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Castel
Registered Users

Question VBar/SK governor for headspeed above 2050 rpm?

Hi all,

I am using the governor feature in the SK-720 but it doesn't seem to give me a headspeed above 2050rpms. I have HW ESC, stock 10T and wanted 2150. I wanted to confirm with others if this is a SK limitation or what. If you are governing with the FBL unit, can you share your headspeed, ESC and timing? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
skunkworx
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You'll probably have to get an 11t to hit that at a governed 75% to 85% depending on your batteries. Stock, 100% curves gives you roughly 2300 headspeed, so even at 90% throttle you would have between 2070 and 2187 headspeed, Not enough room to regulate your headspeed very well.

I think an 11t would give you your 2150. Not sure of an exact throttle setting because it varies with the voltage of your packs. According to calculations, you would have around 2282 (100% throttle) at average voltage of 45.6V / 3.8V per cell, and 2167 (95% throttle) when your packs get drained. I think the calculations come out a tiny bit on the low side and you will be able to put it as low as 83% for 2150 at full charge. It will increase the throttle throughout the flight until you hit the average voltage and your governor will be pretty much on a flat curve. Target governor settings are usually between 75% and 85%, so maybe look into a 12t if the 11t doesn't work out.

A 12t would give you even more headspeed, but maybe too much, I can't be sure since I don't use a governor myself nor have I physically tach'd mine (mainly going off what others have said they tach'd theirs at). Andyzboy has his on 12t governed at 2275 and it zings! If I ever do a governor, I'm probably going to go that route.
--Si vis pacem, para bellum--
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Castel
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Tim, thanks a lot for the info. I'll look further into it, your calculations and numbers make sense.

I would still like to compare with others' experience with FBL governed setup and see what headspeeds they get if only for the datapoints and to see what is possible in practice.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters

Compass Model Helicopters Compass Model Helicopter Discussion