Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 01-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
airpup86C
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would have never given a Walkera product a second look till my son, who's been in RC as long as I have, showed up at my house this weekend with a Walkera FBL CP Genius and a Devo 6 TX. It flys outside, in the garage, and hovers in the house. It crashes, you pick it up and take off. And that radio has the coolest user interface I've ever seen.

Now I don't think I'd put my 700 on a Walkera TX, and my son isn't going to replace his 8FG with one any time soon either, but they are making good progress, from what I saw this weekend. Just sayin'

Al
Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #22
englanito
Registered Users

Default wheres the forum for people who bought this and want to share ideas about it?

Anyone? I'm lost and need some help and would love to find interesting and novel things to do with this. Works like a dream just like my walkera genius does, but i feel like i can do so much more with this radio and have just scratched the surface.

hit me up on here or in rc forums
eng
p.s. waiting on my cloud jet to arrive so i can try out my walkera radio devo 8 on a airplane
englanito is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #23
w4llet
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
At our club 90% or more fly spektrum, never ever had signal loss.

But plenty of crash from bad power supply system or crappy building!

So, they do crash, that`s what i am talking about!!!!

I dont, even with a crappy power supply.

ROFL.

Just teasing mate.
w4llet is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
phoenixRC
Registered Users

would be great if someone who owned both dx8 and devo8 would give a review!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #25
scottyay
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Found some interesting stuff today

DEVO8S

Mini CP with telemetry

DEVO8 Telemetry Upgrade

scottyay is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #26
Dr. M
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've always been puzzled by the effectiveness of advertising that makes some believe that stuff is not worth buying unless it costs more than a fully-equipped aircraft carrier. Somehow a disproportionately large number of people who subscribe to this belief fly rc helis...:p
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #27
Peter64
Registered Users

G'day

I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask but I'll try anyway and if its not could you recommend the correct thread to ask in.

I have had a Walkera WK-1001 for a number of years, My wife just bought me the Devo 8, can these two radios be used as a master and trainer (buddy boxed) together. I would like to see my daughter get into the hobby, she enjoys the simulator and has asked when she will get a turn on one of my planes or helis

Thanks
Peter64 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #28
spykez
Registered Users

I don't know if walkera transmitters were ever buddy boxable, were they? Are they now?

I understand this argument is not a strong one but given they are two different radio protocols that might make this less likely as well.

I've gotten interested in the idea of getting a walkera as well, maybe a Devo 8S with a mini CP or 120D02S.

Slightly off topic (sorry) but, Peter, where are you getting your walkera gear from? Seems like whatever way I look at it I'd have to import (myself I mean)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #29
heli ed1
Registered Users

Go Devo great TX
http://www.rc711.com/shop/index.php this is where i buy most of my heli stuff great eshop with exellent service.

Grtz Ed
heli ed1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #30
krobinson103
Registered Users

The wk-2801pro has a buddy box function. The devos are an improvement on that line I'd say they will have the same or better. Don't think different models are likely to work together.
krobinson103 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #31
heli ed1
Registered Users

2801Pro dont work together with the devo line

Grtz Ed
heli ed1 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
Peter64
Registered Users

Spykez

Living in a small township on the far south coast of NSW, unfortunately I have to purchase all my stuff over the internet and thats all from overseas, walkera-parts, miracle-mart, oomodels to name a few. Delivery however is pretty fast considering where its coming from.

As for the trainer port yeah both radios (devo 8 & wk-1001) have the identical port. I took the chance and hooked them up, when I turn the wk-1001 on the training icon appears on the devo8, I just need to play with it now and see if it will actually do anyhting and by the sound of it it proably won't. Not knowing how this works I would guess only one transmitter (master) is sending the signal to the RX, it would be only reading the inputs from the trainer, interpreting them and then transmitting so two different frequencies shouldn't be an issue. But like I said I have know idea if that's the way it works and even if it does there is no guarantee Walkera would go to the trouble to make the radios compatible, they don't seem to try very hard when it comes to that aspect of their stuff.

Just as a matter of interest if you have 2 devos you can transmit model setup wirelessly between the boxes for training purposes, that seems to be a nice feature, but I'm not looking forward to buying another just to use it. The things we do for our daughters
Old 02-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #33
spykez
Registered Users

Hmm.. if the ports are same, and the master radio is showing some form of acknowledgement, who knows? As you say, the slave radio only sends signals via the wire and not by radio.

Yep, lovely weather in Melb today, not too windy but had and have family stuff to do. Understand. Still trying to get my one into helis, not too succesful yet, hahaha.

I started spektrum - only just last year actually - might try a Devo 8S and a walkera micro collective pitch of some sort when the opportunity arises. I hear they are better than they have ever been before. Maybe a flybarless M120 or V120 or mini CP.

Damn this hobby.

It's proving to be expensive.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #34
Peter64
Registered Users

Well guess what, it worked. I buddy box'd the wk-1001 to the devo8. My little girl was pretty happy, probably not as happy as I'm going to be as I can see this saving me money in spare parts

Just a quick video to illustrate

http://youtu.be/lP-pGkjYq04

PS Just a quick hint, when you do this make sure the masters batteries are charged

Last edited by Peter64; 02-25-2012 at 06:55 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
annefernee
Registered Users

Default RX802

Hi guys,

Another Aussie.. this time in Sydney. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if the RX802 can work with the Devo 8?

Cheers,
Anthony
annefernee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #36
Peter64
Registered Users

G'day Anthony

I certainly hope it does as I just bought this

http://tinyurl.com/7l2saf7

Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #37
w4llet
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB ian View Post
Walkera has a bad name with many...I am sure that some are exaggerating and also that some are speaking the truth.

My own personal experience with Walkera helis is that they are poorly designed and poorly fabricated. This was based on the 4G3 and the 4G6 which were money pits that rarely flew right and when they did fly right they were totalled by one or two hard crashes.

(...)
You are right mate. Walkera got a bad reputation because of those helis. I own a 4g6 too and I know what you are talking about.

But Walkera changed a lot after the flybarless helis, trust me. And they keep improving everyday. Forget about old walkera models.

I own a few walkera flybarless helis here and they are mostly good with some exceptions. Of course they are not the best in the world.... have some issues like almost all brands (I say "almost all brands" because some models are really a master piece).

I am walkera fan because they have a fair price. If you try to build a similar heli a little bit improved you will spend a way more money to have it.

Its all about budget.

Btw, I do not own only walkeras, but several brands, including "big ones".

About the devo transmitter....

If any devo 8 owner here read this, can you tell me how long the battery last?

I own a devo 12 and that battery last forever (and it uses one cell lipo battery only - 3000mah),... it is a nice fancy tx but a little big in my opinion. I like the devo 7/8/10 and 2801 pro size.......

Thank you.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #38
Peter64
Registered Users

w4llet

The two biggest (really only) complaints I have about the Devo 8 is the screen and the battery life. I have had a wk-1001 for years and have found it to be a pretty good radio, it uses 8 cells and the battery life was not an issue. The Devo 8 only uses 4 cells and with the power turned up to max I generally change them after 2 FPV fights. You can get a few more heli flights out of them but nothing like the 1001. Reducing the power seems to help to some degree. however I only turn that to minimum for the Genius

And yes having started with the Walkera 36b and 60b I can see why Walkera didn't have the best reputation. I have the Genius CP and a V200D03 extremely happy with both, although I think they charge too much for spare parts.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
w4llet
Registered Users

Peter64.

I agree with you about the lcd screen. My devo 12 lcd screen is useless under the sun.
Just another question about your devo 8. Since you are a FPV pilot, what maximum range that you flew with devo8? I only flew as far as I can see the model (planes). That is about 800m~1km with no sign of glitches or any problems. I am pretty sure it can handle more.

Thanks twice.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #40
Peter64
Registered Users

I have done a range test, driving out to 1.5 Kilometers I got out of the car and was able to receive a signal on the RX801. This was not quiet line of sight as there was some trees between me and the TX situated back at home. However I have only flown a little over 600 meters at an altitude of 340 meters. I have the rx802 installed in the plane and would expect that to have a better range then the 801 as it has 1/2 wave antennas instead of the 1/4 wave ones on the 801. Now I have the Nova OSD and RTH installed and working well I will slowly increase the range to try find the maximum distance I can fly too.

Short video showing Nova OSD and distance from home

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please