Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
creightoncarr
Registered Users

Default Another bad XL motor?

After the third flight with the new XL motor I noticed it seemed abnormally hot. About two minutes after powering down I measured the motor temperature at 170 degrees. It was 82 degrees outside. The ESC was slightly warn but not hot (didn't measure the temp) and the TPX5000 6S1P registered 102 degrees. I also noticed a slight odor from the motor (similar to the smell of one of my 430 motors which burned up but not nearly as strong). During the flight I didn't notice any loss of power. I've checked the gear mesh and the belt tension and all seems well. Other than putting in the XL motor, this is the same setup I flew about 15 packs on with the L motor with no problems. I just finished charging the pack I used during the last flight and put back in 3500mAh for 5:20 of flight which is about what I would expect. I was banging the helicopter around a little harder tonight than previously as I felt comfortable that I had broken my packs in sufficiently. I'm running an 11T straight pinion, +-13 degree pitch, 8 degrees of cyclic and 100% straight throttle curve in idle up. While I know that my collective management has room for improvement, I wasn't banging the sticks to the extremes and I didn't notice any bogging during flight.

The motor still seems to run okay, but I am a little concerned now b/c of the odor more so than the temperature. It's been about 2 hours since the last flight and if I put the motor close to my nose I can still slightly make out the odor. Is it shot? I've seen several posts lately regarding XL motors burning out.
creightoncarr is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
manu2604
Registered Users

last sunday, mine started smoking 2 minutes after I took off. It was the second flight I had and the first one with iddle up. After an emergency landing I disconected the battery and it was really hot, don't know how much but it was too hot to touch. The whole frame around it was hot too. My ESC was hot too and I hope it is still OK, I had it located close to the motor and I am hoping it got hot only because the whole area was hot. I sent my burned motor to align. I checked my setup and it is fine, gear slope, belt tension, swash..etc. I know the odor you are talking about because I can still feel it on my frames. :?
manu2604 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
creightoncarr
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I wonder if I got a bad motor? My battery and ESC were only warm. No smoke from my motor though, just the slight odor, and it hasn't failed yet. I think I may try flying it again this evening and drop my pitch curves down to +-11 degrees just for good measure. I really don't think I'm overloading the motor though because I flew this same setup with no problems on the L motor.

I'm Creighton Carr and I approve this message.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
creightoncarr
Registered Users

Well, I don't know about this motor. I flew two packs this evening and everything seemed fine. After the flights the motor came in at 145 degrees, significantly lower than yesterday. First flight was +-11 on pitch. Second flight I went back to +-13 and and did some hard pitch pumping to see if I could make it fail. It bogged pretty badly on the full positives but always bounced back quickly. No odor from the motor afterwards. Probably a mistake, but I guess I'll keep flying it. Hopefully yesterday was a one time thing.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
manu2604
Registered Users

I guess you can keep an eye on it. Mine didn't give me a chance
Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
ghettotige
Registered Users

My L fried last night, Its about the 10th flight I have done on this heli running everything standard on a FP 4900 20c pack.
I was just doing some Fastflying circuits and noticed a drop in power after about 4 mins brought her in for a closer look and noticed small puffs of smoke coming from the heli.
Removed the battery and ESC rather quickly which were both warm but not hot but the motor was super hot with smoke comming from it. After allowing it to cool and removal, the motor spindle is now loose and therfore the engine wrecked.
I will now probably install the XL motor but I would like to know what might have caused this so I can avoid it happening again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avant Aurora, ys SR , 8915,Spectrum
ghettotige is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
creightoncarr
Registered Users

manu - have you received your replacement XL yet? I flew a couple packs this evening on mine and on the second flight the burned oder was back, still no smoke though. I didn't have my temp probe with me at the time but the motor was very hot, the ESC was still cool and the battery (TPX5000) was also hot - probably up near the upper limits. I wasn't doing any hard flying, just some FF and some lazy loops and rolls. I had the timer set to five minutes on both flights. I just finished charging the two packs. First pack (also a TPX5000) I put back in 3600mAh. Second pack, however (the one the motor got hot on), I put back in 4400mAh. It had discharged so low that the TP1010 had to slow charge it back up to 22.2V - the low voltage protection did not come on during slight (I have it set to middle). I guess it's time to invest in a LiPo alarm.

Whatever the problem is with this motor it seems intermittent. I now have about 15 flights on it now and it has acted like this only twice. All the other flights on it were normal. Though at first I was of the mindset that I would keep flying it till it failed, I'm now leery of doing so as I don't want to puff a pack as a result. Is Align pretty good about standing behind their products? The only experience I've had with Align CS came about a year ago when I bought my first 450SE. The L motor in the kit did not run at all. I contacted Align via Assurance RC and long story short, I ended up just buying another motor b/c I got the sense that trying to exchange it was going to be too much of a hassle. They seemed to be of the mindset that the motor had to have worked out of the box and I must have done something to it to make it fail. I'm worried that if I send my 600XL to them it'll be like taking my car in for warranty service - "We can't replicate the problem." :? I've still got the L motor to fly for now, but I really like the XL when it's running right. If I send this one in to Align are they likely to replace it for me? I've only had it for about two weeks now.

I'm Creighton Carr and I approve this message.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
manu2604
Registered Users

I received my replacement last saturday but i was away the whole weekend so I couldnt try it. I even missed the best weekend for flying weatherwise. I am going to try it right now and will post my comments. I think that my case was pretty obvious, the motor was cooked and align did not say anything and just sent me the replacement. If yours is only a couple weeks old, maybe you can keep trying and if it burns under reasonable use, I think align will replace it. I contacted them directly and sent them a long letter with all the details of my setup and what happened. I would call, tell them your problem, and ask for advice. That way, at least they will know your case. Their service was great with me, it should be the same with you.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
manu2604
Registered Users

OK, I did 3 short flights this morning. The motor did not burned this time, but it was getting hot. I don't know how much(i need to get a temp reader) but it was a little hot to the touch. I am happy it held up three smooth flights. Now I need to figure out how to solve my tail wag problem.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 600 Class Electric Helicopters

600 Class Electric Helicopters 600 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.