Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #1
Barry Isle of Wight
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question Flybar balancing on Blade 450

Hi
I have a Blade 450 3D.
I know that the main blades need balancing but have not seen anyhing about balancing the flybar & paddles?
Can anyone enlighten me?
Barry
Barry Isle of Wight is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
ror1
Registered Users

My HF Map location

yes I understand your fustration, there is nothing in the Blade videos about the flybar setup that I could find. I crashed and had to replace flybar so I just measured it to be centered and set paddles to zero pitch...done.
It seems fine.
In fact I used a Trex 450 flybar at the time because no B450 parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
STAZZ
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
yes I understand your fustration, there is nothing in the Blade videos about the flybar setup that I could find. I crashed and had to replace flybar so I just measured it to be centered and set paddles to zero pitch...done.
It seems fine.
In fact I used a Trex 450 flybar at the time because no B450 parts.
I'm using HK450V2 flybar and HK450Pro paddles - seems to be fine as well. The flybar itself is little bit shorter, but since paddles are little bit heavier the effect is exactly the same! Some 2$ instead of 11$ by HH, excluding delivery. Plus, if crash happens (definately it will ) there is a chance that shorter flybar will not hit the canopy and tail boom!
STAZZ is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
upankatz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAZZ View Post
I'm using HK450V2 flybar and HK450Pro paddles - seems to be fine as well. The flybar itself is little bit shorter, but since paddles are little bit heavier the effect is exactly the same! Some 2$ instead of 11$ by HH, excluding delivery. Plus, if crash happens (definately it will ) there is a chance that shorter flybar will not hit the canopy and tail boom!
I'm using those too, I actually prefer those paddles. One of my eflight paddles was a little stripped the hk ones stay put better.
upankatz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Barry Isle of Wight
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Question Flybar balancing on Blade 450

Hi all
Thanks for the information if i am able to find out anything else will post on this thread.
Cheers
Barry
Barry Isle of Wight is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Bee_random
Registered Users

You can set up the flybar two ways. One, just measure it so its central. And two, if you want to go a step further (I do because I've got added flybar weights for stability) you can use a durbo balancer and balance the whole head, first without main blades (to get the flybar right) and then with main blades. The better the balance the less the vibration.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
jackcutrone
Registered Users

Default Okay, so how do you set the balance on the flybar?

Bee_random talks about using the Dubro balancer which I have and am using to try to balance the flybar. But I have looked on countless sites after a google search for balancing the flybar on a Blade 400 and none of them talk about using the Dubro to balance the flybar. How do you adjust the flybar weights to balance them. I assume that you move them in or out somehow, (or move the flybar rod which seems to be the less preferred way to avoid scoring the flybar rod with the set screw by repeated adjustments). But what do you have to do to move the weights? I see a flybar weight, a flybar paddle mount and a set screw on the Blade 400 parts list and assume that you loosen the set screw to move the weight but then what? Slide it in and out? How does the flybar paddle mount secure the paaddle?
jackcutrone is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
5307thBP
Registered Users

I just measure the rod from cage to end, make sure both sides the same (use a digital caliper). Then slide the weights on, screw the paddles on, again measure from cage to paddle. Then slide the weights to the paddles and lock them down.

Since you are rebuilding anyway, pull out the main gears, tip the heli on its side, and check the whole head assy for balance. First without the blades, to check the flybar, then with the blades to check the blades.

To adjust the flybar, turn out the light side 1 turn at a time and move the weight out too. Then recheck. You may not need to move the weight if it's really close to balanced.

I now skip all that and just use the measurements. Blades are all I set perfectly.

"I do my best 3d when trying to avoid a crash!"
5307thBP is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
jackcutrone
Registered Users

Smile thx

Thanks so much. Didn't want to start screwing with it until I had some idea of what I was doing. I do now, thanks to you.
jackcutrone is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
Windmanquebec
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did balance the head with the flybar only and I just had to move the flybar a bit on one side (within the grooves) to have a proper balance.
Windmanquebec is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Jolly Roger
Registered Users

Default I'm all for saving $$$

Looking around on Hobby King I was wondering if the HK 450 main shafts will work on my Blade 450?
I use the Blade 400 shafts on my 450 because they are a bit cheaper and the HK shafts look the same as a 400 shaft.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11516

So as to not hijack the thread, I have a Dubro and I will use that as described above to ballance my FB.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
spykez
Registered Users

I am not sure.

I suspect they won't really work, but if you're doing a HK take-out, 2 bucks might be worth a gamble.

Why I don't think it will work is that we are supported by 3 bearing blocks - I believe blade mainshafts are longer than T-Rex 450 clones... and the holes for the jesus bolt and the main gear/tailgear bolt below may not be in the same position.

If you try and succeed do let us know!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help