Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
HD2Pct
Registered Users

Default Bent Rotor Housing?

After a small tail strike where I had to place the front TT gears on the 500, on my test flight I noticed that the head seemed to be wobbly as it spun down. I pulled the main blades and powered it up and you can definitely see a wobble in the housing(when you look at the head button) I pulled the main shaft, and it is straight. Do these housings actually bend? From what? I have also read that this is normal. I am wondering if I am making too much out of nothing. (?)
HD2Pct is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
cgetman02
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The rotor housing is one of the most common parts that I have to replace. I always keep a stock of them. Changing them out isn't all that bad after you have done it a couple of times. You'll never get your tracking right with a bent one.

FWIW, Crashmaster
cgetman02 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
wanderer56
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Fought a vibration for about 2 months because I didn't think a "little tip-over" could have possibly bent the main rotor housing. Wrong! Smooth as silk now.
wanderer56 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
blackmagic08
Registered Users

Just to standardize the terminology... are you referring to the "rotor head" or the "feathering shaft" or perhaps the "blade grips?"

the more universal the terms, the more we are all on the same page and can help.
blackmagic08 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
HD2Pct
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blackmagic- Align calls it the Main Rotor Housing, so I thought it would go ahead and use that term. Perhaps you call that piece the "rotor head" and I know many do, but I am trying to prevent confusion by using their terminology.

I am not referring to blade grips or the feathering shaft. Although it's possible to get similar symptoms from a bent feathering shaft, I would think.

It's hard to believe I bent that meaty-looking housing with the accident that I had, but since I have another one, I might as well swap it out.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Blayd
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, you might want to get used to chasing a problem, and keep some parts as stock. Feathering shaft, bearings, head, and grips are easily diagnosed if you have them to go through piece by piece. I usualy swap the feathering shaft first, since its most suseptible to bending, then the head.. after a strike.. I swap bearings in the grips no matter what usually. Ive seen quite a few housings as you call them, bent. You need to remember the shaft only goes so far, then the top of the head, holding the feathering shaft is very easy to bend. It doesnt take much to make a severe wobble.
HC500SE ....GO TEAM FLYBAR!
Blayd is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
HD2Pct
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blayd - yeah that's what it was. A bent rotor housing. I don't recall doing anything to cause that to happen. My blades have stayed out of the dirt. Maybe I did something stupid while carrying it.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
memosteve
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've bent two "main rotor housings"... the first time was due to a crash, the second I still don't know what happened as there was only ever the one crash on this machine.
memosteve is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.