Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters > Atom 7HV

Atom 7HV Compass Atom 7HV Model Helicopter Discussion

Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
jawelsh
Registered Users

Default Frame Fix

Hi Guys,

Got a few flights under my belt with my 7HV. I had a small accident and had to fix my lower frames so I thought I would share.

I used some unidirectional carbon and then vacuum bagged them. They came out nice.

One thing to note that I found on my lower frames. Upon close inspection the lower frames are not solid carbon. Only the outer layers are carbon. So basically the frames are fiberglass with only the outer 2 layers being carbon.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7hv frame fix.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	254782  
jawelsh is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
BakedMopar
Registered Users

Yep it will break there everytime I say. Both tine I crashed it broke the same spot. I fixed mine pretty much the same way except it's small enough where you don't need to vacuum bag it.

I agree crashing sucks!
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=335512
BakedMopar is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Diviner
Registered Users

Mine broke there on a very gentle crash when my tail pin slipped out. I think it is inevitable since these sized machines weigh so much. What is nice though is that the frame is fine everywhere else. I just JB welded a piece of electrical fiberglass board for reinforcement. Not the prettiest thing, but worth saving $120 on lower frames without reducing any structural integrity.

The vacuum bag repair looks great.

I am considering lasering up some lower frames since they don't carry nearly as much load as the upper frames do. Then I could have some real fun with the design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diviner Gregg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . . new episode every other Friday
Diviner is online now        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters > Atom 7HV

Atom 7HV Compass Atom 7HV Model Helicopter Discussion