Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tail Questions? Opinions please......

Hi guys, this problem I got with the tail blowing out during pitch up. Well I notice there is a fair bit of slop in the plastic yoke where it fits around the spigots on the pitch slider. It allows several degrees of tail blade pitch change with no movement at the tail push rod! It was like this from new. Should there be any slop here - could that be losing me tail pitch and hence tail authority. I could maybe put some thin walled plastic tube over the spigots to help them have a tighter fit in the yoke - what do you think?

One other thing - I'm using a smaller distance from the servo centre screw to the ball, about 6mm, what would happen if I used a long servo arm (say 11mm) would it help at all?
Rick Rotorhead is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey Rick,
I too thought I had a tail problem, until I really slowed down my movements to realize it was me adding rudder in hard collective moves. I would push up on the stick in flips or rolls etc. and I was adding rudder. Just a thought.
AMA #900910
jpolidore is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can rule out dumb thumbs by adding a little expo on rudder. Some folks use it all the time... I've tried and it does not suit me as I learned to fly without it but it does help prevent unwanted rudder input when you pop the throttle.

If the tail is kicking out then you need more gain. I assume that you went thru the set-up of the tail from scratch once you had re-positioned the position of the connector on the servo horn?

You absolutely do not need (or want) a longer servo arm... in fact with 11mm I suspect you'd struggle to get the Limit on the 401 low enough to prevent binding. Limit on the 401 wants to be in the 80 - 100 range - find (or drill) a hole in the servo horn that gives you that limit with absolutely complete throw on the tail slider.

If you have that set up then check for binding.
If you're using the pushrod guide (under the tail fin) then make sure it is LOOSE - they tend to be WAY too tight a fit, I don't use them.

Yes the plastic yokes have some slop... does not cause problems for most 'normal' flying.
ukgroucho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in