Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk


Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
balleklorin
Registered Users
 
Posts: 229
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Pole
Default The best governor?

Im hitting the buy button again soon, this time a Governor
What governor should I get and why? (Engine->O.S 55HZ).
__________________
HBFP v2 custom tail mod. T-REX 450 sport.
Compass 6HV FB. JS TZ-v.2 Frenzy 50 with Align 55HZ.
balleklorin is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
frypan
Registered Users ):>
 
Posts: 1,718
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwestern Florida.
Default

Aero spire multi gov pro, i love mine
__________________
On break, Building up a s13/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dan
frypan is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Corrari
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,639
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pahiatua, New Zealand
Default

Castle...great reputatiin for there govs.

Sent from my smarty pants phone
__________________
Compass 6HV, TotalG, BLS251, DX7S.
Kasama Srimok, Scorpion HK-4525-520KV, TotalG, BLS251, DX7S.
...and the rest...
Corrari is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Ozz58
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,390
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas DFW area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrari View Post
Castle...great reputatiin for there govs.

Sent from my smarty pants phone

Castle makes a nitro gov?

Craig
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Corrari
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,639
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pahiatua, New Zealand
Default

..doh.....hey, its 6am.....i should wake up soon.



Sent from my smarty pants phone
__________________
Compass 6HV, TotalG, BLS251, DX7S.
Kasama Srimok, Scorpion HK-4525-520KV, TotalG, BLS251, DX7S.
...and the rest...
Corrari is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
kcordell
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Default

Futaba GY-701, best of both worlds governor and gyro in one unit.
__________________
Team Futaba, Team Miniature Aircraft, Team Flightpower, Radix Blades, VelTye, YS Engines
kcordell is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
kouasupra
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,856
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Default

Vbar governor period.
kouasupra is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
BladeFartz
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Default

I guess the real question here is are you running fbl or fb?

If fb: gy701, runner up is multigov
if fbl: vbar, sk720, cgy750

Hope that makes it easier lol
BladeFartz is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Corvette & Copter Guy
Registered Users
 
Posts: 3,017
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota City, MN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balleklorin View Post
Im hitting the buy button again soon, this time a Governor
What governor should I get and why? (Engine->O.S 55HZ).
I would have to say the best governor: Jesse "the body" Ventura.
__________________
LOGO XXTREME 480, 700, 800
LOGO 600
SCHLUTER HELI BABY (RESTORING FOR FLIGHT AND NEED PARTS)
Corvette & Copter Guy is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Corrari
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,639
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pahiatua, New Zealand
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette & Copter Guy View Post
I would have to say the best governor: Jesse "the body" Ventura.
..badom, tss...

Sent from my smarty pants phone
__________________
Compass 6HV, TotalG, BLS251, DX7S.
Kasama Srimok, Scorpion HK-4525-520KV, TotalG, BLS251, DX7S.
...and the rest...
Corrari is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
ArchmageAU
HF Support
 
Posts: 4,116
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia, Vic, Melbourne East
Default Reopening this old thread as technology may have changed.

Reopening this old thread as technology may have changed.

Assuming an electric FBL heli. What is the best governor and why?

Not looking for a governor vs no-governor debate.

Also not looking for a debate of ESC governors vs FBL governors. ESC govs do not need sensors (as they sense the motor position and speed through the cables) but are completely reactive. FBL govs need sensors, but also have the OPPORTUNITY to look for changes in collective, cyclic and rudder to try to pre-empt load changes before the motor sees them (they may be also programmed completely reactive).

Which governor, do you feel, does the best job of maintaining a consistent head speed (near 90% of max speed on empty battery (3.7v/cell)) on a 700 series heli despite the changes in load?
__________________
TRex 700E Pro DFC HV (BD3SX) - Gaui X5 (6S/BD3SX), Blade 130X, RealFlight, Heli-X, Taranis+DSMX
ArchmageAU is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
RogerRabit
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Germany
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcordell View Post
Futaba GY-701, best of both worlds governor and gyro in one unit.
I just did build in a GY701 s-bus
Flawless.
i Dont use it as a Gyro just governor.
RogerRabit is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
360Wings
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Reopening this old thread as technology may have changed.

Assuming an electric FBL heli. What is the best governor and why?

Not looking for a governor vs no-governor debate.

Also not looking for a debate of ESC governors vs FBL governors. ESC govs do not need sensors (as they sense the motor position and speed through the cables) but are completely reactive. FBL govs need sensors, but also have the OPPORTUNITY to look for changes in collective, cyclic and rudder to try to pre-empt load changes before the motor sees them (they may be also programmed completely reactive).

Which governor, do you feel, does the best job of maintaining a consistent head speed (near 90% of max speed on empty battery (3.7v/cell)) on a 700 series heli despite the changes in load?
Given the OP is asking about nitro govs. your a bit off topic but anyway ill give you my thoughts..

A good e-gov. relies on more than just a good algorithm to keep the rpms constant. You need to gear the heli correctly for the desired rpms, have good batteries and setup the gov. software correctly (gains..etc). If your setup and equipment is good, the govs will hold well.. The vbar e-gov is excellent, SK is reasonable - improving all the time, CC v4.xx is decent (reactive) and the Kosmik gov (reactive) is reportedly excellent too.. Heli/power jive gov. is nice..
Some are better at auto rotation bailout, some are better at preventing overspeeding when unloading the disc.... Like any product there is advantages and disadvantages to all govs. You need to choose the one that fits your needs best..
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
mcarter76
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,007
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Default



wait... wrong governor
__________________
T-REX 550E DFC, Goblin 500, Gaui X3, DX8
mcarter76 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
ArchmageAU
HF Support
 
Posts: 4,116
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia, Vic, Melbourne East
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Wings View Post
Given the OP is asking about nitro govs. your a bit off topic but anyway ill give you my thoughts..
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Wings View Post
A good e-gov. relies on more than just a good algorithm to keep the rpms constant. You need to gear the heli correctly for the desired rpms, have good batteries and setup the gov. software correctly (gains..etc). If your setup and equipment is good, the govs will hold well.. The vbar e-gov is excellent, SK is reasonable - improving all the time, CC v4.xx is decent (reactive) and the Kosmik gov (reactive) is reportedly excellent too.. Heli/power jive gov. is nice..
Some are better at auto rotation bailout, some are better at preventing overspeeding when unloading the disc.... Like any product there is advantages and disadvantages to all govs. You need to choose the one that fits your needs best..
Got it. Assume the pinion/main gear ratio is consistent to give optimal head speed for 95% efficiency of the brushless electric motor for the voltage supplied by the batteries (easy to do the maths to ensure this for the greatest sensible no-load motor).

360Wings, if building your ideal 700 class heli, which gov would you use and why? This is for your style of flying (whatever it is).

RogerRabit, uses the Futaba GY701 (which works for him even though on a flybarred heli). Cannot tell if it is because it proactive in load management, overspeed sensitive, bailout (soft start) tunable, tunable (and/or switchable) feedback gains, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarter76 View Post
wait... wrong governor
Too expensive, under-performing and overweight for a 700 size heli. (not to mention inter-component communication hassles)
__________________
TRex 700E Pro DFC HV (BD3SX) - Gaui X5 (6S/BD3SX), Blade 130X, RealFlight, Heli-X, Taranis+DSMX
ArchmageAU is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #16
360Wings
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
Thanks.
360Wings, if building your ideal 700 class heli, which gov would you use and why? This is for your style of flying (whatever it is).
Im not fussy when it comes to govs as they all do a pretty good job. None are perfect.. Ive used predictive and reactive and find only a marginal increase in performance in certain circumstances with "predictive" govs.. As long as I have a gov. im happy . Flying with curves is just painful.

I find its more important to get a gov. and tail system (ie. servo and gyro) that work well together... Some govs just dont work well with some tail servo and gyros.. Ive had issues myself with certain combos and talked with others that have had similar problems with others setup which work perfectly for others..

Ive used Jive/helijive , ICE/Edge 4.xx, Jeti Mezon, CGY750, SK540, Hobbywing, Vbar YGE govs and Brain/Ikon.. The only one I wouldnt recommend is the Hobbywing ESC gov.. In saying that the Hobbywing ESC is and excellent choice if your using a FBL e-gov.

If your learning auto's, then I would be choose a gov. that supports auto bailout..

Im currently flying Spartan VX1's using CC ICE2 gov.. Once the e-gov on the spartan is released I will switch over to use the spartan version and see how it goes.

Flying style is 3d and I dabble in F3c maneuvers too when im bored of 3d stuff..
360Wings is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk


Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com