Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk


Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
blackmagic08
Registered Users
 
Posts: 677
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Default "Mall" helicopters a problem

I was at the mall this evening with my better half. I saw the kiosk with all of the overpriced xheli product selling for 4x what it does online. I really think these helis are bad for our hobby, even though a mall $100 "Steel Blaze" heli got me started. I just hate it when people flock when the guy demos the "big model" and then people begin to ask about it and think they are getting the best of the best when in reality there are much better helis to be had for less. Even the huge "Alloy Shark" you paid $140 at the mall can be had for $60 online.

It is hard to put into words what the issues are but I am sure you all share my frustration to a degree. Just last week I was flying my Trex 450 Pro V2 3GX in my driveway when 2 guys walking down the street said to me "Hey, thats the $150 from the mall, right?" I said "no" He said "Sure it is, that is the same one I saw at the mall the other day. That is the nice one." I told them it wasn't then demo'd the pitch change on the main and tail blades. Then they were convinced and also shocked with how much it really was. You get what you pay for. I am sure that the mall helis get some people into the hobby, like me. Unfortunately, others get discouraged by crashing and lack of parts availability. Those crap coax birds with the horizontal tail rotor for pitch are such junk. I wish I could tell them all to shop elsewhere but it would be a lost cause. So many dads and sons are receiving overpriced crap this year. It is too bad.
blackmagic08 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
newbheliusr
Registered Users
 
Posts: 6,398
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountlake Terrace, Wa
Default

Yeah, I know what you mean. I got one of those 3 channel suckers for a friend of mine. He really enjoyed it until it just broke. Then I sold him my old MCX2 and he really liked that. Took him some time to get use to as the first one was 3 channel and he had to get use to the 4. But he really likes the MCX2 now.
newbheliusr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
ronm3313
Registered Users
 
Posts: 2,537
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Antioch, CA
Default

It's amazing what they charge for a helicopter at a mall Kiosk. Makes you wonder what we're buying retail that is junk and we don't know it!
__________________
AMA: 943183, ClearView, DX8, Dx6i, Tarot 500 ESP DFC/Vbar, Align 500e DFC/Robird, 130X (2), Goblin 700/Brain (retired/sold: mCPx, HK450 Pro, CopterX 450 SE V2)
ronm3313 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
blairlockout
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Default sad

Those are garbage. $3 worth of parts and a cheesy salesman at the mall. LOL
blairlockout is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
rovpilot26
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,722
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Humble, Texas
Default

Whether we like it or not... that little mall heli is like a gateway drug into the RC heli world.. It starts out as a novelty then becomes something much much much worse... an addiction
__________________
Bryan
Team Chaos-RCAerodyne / Optipower / Team Lynx Heli/ MKS servos USA

AMA #944947
rovpilot26 is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
kevinbattista
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,376
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dudley, MA. U.S.A.
Default

ever find ANYTHING at a mall that wasn't overpriced ? if a toy pos from the mall can turn someone away from the hobby then they didn't have the "want" to get into it in the first place.. i started with an "Air Hogs" .. the BIGGEST heli rip off there is.. but yet it sparked it enuff for me to get a Syma and do some research... let the mall guys deal with the "flash in the pan " and the hobby stores deal with the Hobbyist...

just my opinion
__________________
it's not a competition, it's a hobby
EXI 450 + FUTABA t7c Tx =
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phoenix Sim "it's free to crash on a sim"
kevinbattista is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #7
AcidDrink
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Default

Well, I don't know. I can't imagine shopping centre guy demoing a Trex 700e and then selling it RTF 1k a pop.
They could do E-Flite coaxial helis though.
I bough my first coaxial in a toy shop, lasted for a day. A week later I bought msr and dx6i.
__________________
TDR/VBar
Logo 600SX 12s VBar
MSH MINI PROTOS/CGY750
AcidDrink is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Volcano
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago
Default

No offense but im offended. I dont go to the mall (I almost got shot up at the mall when I lived in San Diego (bumped into a gangbanger at the bottom of escalator) so I just avoid them for the last 20 years. I havent seen the heli kiosk but I want to own 20 of them.
I can sell crap product as well as mcpx. And I could carry replacement parts for helis nearby to local fields. Heli kiosks cannot be a bad thing even if the things they sell dont fly. Thats like saying that fishing doesnt attract newbies unles they catch a big one. Its the mall helis, and bluegills that get people addicted.

examples- years ago bought ugly stick to go fishing, now I have g loomis. 2 years ago I had a ufo thingy for christmas, now im lawn mowing with real helis.
Volcano is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
XXL SkyKing51
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona Usa
Default

Not all hobby grade RC helicopters are in hobby stores, most of them you have to order on line, I had to order my Walkera online from X-heli because the local hobby shop here don't carry them there 1 to 10 they don't carry the spare parts.

Don't be surprised that most of hobby shop will be gone
and you have to order on line

as for hateing co-axials helis
well tell that walkera and Esky that make Lamas , and the people that make blade helicopters.
don't forget that russia has real co-axial helicopters like the blackshark.

as for junk copters
my nieghbor son inlaw is in to RC very seriously but he customized rc things
he can turn mall copter into a real hobby grade 4 channel helicopter.
he knows his rc stuff.
XXL SkyKing51 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
Creaky Cactus
HF Support
 
Posts: 4,515
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoVA
Default

I dream of getting up the nerve to fly my mCP-X in inverted tail first circuits over the mall kiosk.
__________________
The Cactus - Just pick up the sticks, and FLY!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blade (mCX, CX2, mSR, mCP X, 400) * T-Rex (450SE2, 600E) * DX7 * Phoenix 4.0
Helis wrecked while-U-wait since 2008-05-27
Creaky Cactus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
littlechop550
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: northeast
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic08 View Post
I was at the mall this evening with my better half. I saw the kiosk with all of the overpriced xheli product selling for 4x what it does online. I really think these helis are bad for our hobby, even though a mall $100 "Steel Blaze" heli got me started. I just hate it when people flock when the guy demos the "big model" and then people begin to ask about it and think they are getting the best of the best when in reality there are much better helis to be had for less. Even the huge "Alloy Shark" you paid $140 at the mall can be had for $60 online.

It is hard to put into words what the issues are but I am sure you all share my frustration to a degree. Just last week I was flying my Trex 450 Pro V2 3GX in my driveway when 2 guys walking down the street said to me "Hey, thats the $150 from the mall, right?" I said "no" He said "Sure it is, that is the same one I saw at the mall the other day. That is the nice one." I told them it wasn't then demo'd the pitch change on the main and tail blades. Then they were convinced and also shocked with how much it really was. You get what you pay for. I am sure that the mall helis get some people into the hobby, like me. Unfortunately, others get discouraged by crashing and lack of parts availability. Those crap coax birds with the horizontal tail rotor for pitch are such junk. I wish I could tell them all to shop elsewhere but it would be a lost cause. So many dads and sons are receiving overpriced crap this year. It is too bad.
I agree buddy..i actally got into the hobby that way..it was a 9053 syma heli..since i get everything off line i enquried about the helli while at the mall.the guy wanted almost 3 hundred for it i got it oiff ebay brand new for about 60,, it was the violoation to be excact yes i understand your frustration..but at a certain point,,you can tell the qulaity difference it goes from cheap toy to machine
littlechop550 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
Rotormaster.
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creaky Cactus View Post
I dream of getting up the nerve to fly my mCP-X in inverted tail first circuits over the mall kiosk.
What's holding you back? Seriously...
Rotormaster. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
XXL SkyKing51
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona Usa
Default

GOOD LORD Man
If you must know the this country money issues is not good.
People loosing thier jobs and try to make ends meet.
and here you belly aching about 3 channel toy helicopters.
Not everyone has loads of money like you that can afford hobby grade helis.
they think a 3 channel heli is better than no heli at all.

like I said Not all hobby grade RC copters are not in hobbyshops most are sold from rc helicopter company in warehouses, mind you you be ordering your hobby grade rc helicopter online.

if you keep on belly aching about 3 channel heli you chase off future heli freaks.
incourage not discourage.
XXL SkyKing51 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #14
Rotormaster.
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Default

It is unfair that unwitting people are being charged such exaggerated prices for "mall-class" helis. But on the other hand, it's what gets people into the hobby.
Out of every so many people that buy these, a portion will end up liking them enough they they will want a better one, until their hunger leads them to search on the internet and they eventually stumble upon the "real" hobby grade "big boy" stuff. Once they see some video of a real bird spooling up then doing some pitch pumps.... Then they see their first 3D flight, forget it.... They are blown out of their tiny minds. I know I was.

For me, I was picking up some parts for my savage, and ended up walking out of the store with a $50 3Ch coax in my hands. Soon enough I went online and started reading. Soon after I was creating an account.

At the end of the day, a percentage of mall heli victims will go searching online. Then it's only a matter of time before they're on HeliFreak.
Rotormaster. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
Rotormaster.
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL SkyKing51 View Post
[B]as for hateing co-axials helis
well tell that walkera and Esky that make Lamas , and the people that make blade helicopters.
don't forget that russia has real co-axial helicopters like the blackshark.
I don't think that anybody is hateing coaxial helis, only the fact that they are sold at malls for 2 to 3 times the online retail price.
Rotormaster. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #16
XXL SkyKing51
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona Usa
Default

My first RC copter was my skyking big , but it flew and worked i still have it it my trainer copter, than I got my single rotor Walkera 180 d dragonfly.
and what ever you do DON'T CALL ME FIRST HELI A TOY.
you want to see a toy heli?

Here is your Toy helicopter
some time i get a rc copter fixed pitched helicopter the same size as my skyking.

NOTE> Soon you won't be able to get your hobby grade rc heli in the hobby stores
you be ordering them online

and older women will you guys flying your hobby grade rc copters
and they to you ( GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH TOYS)
XXL SkyKing51 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #17
Rotormaster.
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL SkyKing51 View Post
My first RC copter was my skyking big , but it flew and worked i still have it it my trainer copter, than I got my single rotor Walkera 180 d dragonfly.
and what ever you do DON'T CALL ME FIRST HELI A TOY.
you want to see a toy heli?

Here is your Toy helicopter
some time i get a rc copter fixed pitched helicopter the same size as my skyking.

NOTE> Soon you won't be able to get your hobby grade rc heli in the hobby stores
you be ordering them online

and older women will you guys flying your hobby grade rc copters
and they to you ( GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH TOYS)
Do you use your "SkyKing big" for personal transport or commercial purposes?
Rotormaster. is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #18
XXL SkyKing51
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona Usa
Default

lol I fly my large skyking rc helicopter as a trainer.
nothing wrong with it at all.

it's just the guy who started this thread is a bigget of 3 channel rc helicopters
RC is RC 3 ch or 4 ch or 6 ch or 10000 channels.
XXL SkyKing51 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #19
WillJames
HF Support
 
Posts: 39,501
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Western, NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovpilot26 View Post
Whether we like it or not... that little mall heli is like a gateway drug into the RC heli world.. It starts out as a novelty then becomes something much much much worse... an addiction

EXACTLY. X-Heli does not set the Kiosk's pricing. Mall stuff is ALWAYS overpriced.

I would not buy at a mall unless there was no other place on earth to get what I wanted.
__________________
William James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you fly you are going to crash.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Not again!!!
WillJames is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
blackmagic08
Registered Users
 
Posts: 677
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fairfield County, CT
Default

My issue is mainly with the inflated prices that are being charged. I understand everyone needs to make a buck but charging people double or triple for something is being unfair and can actually turn people away from the hobby because they think it is too expensive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL SkyKing51 View Post
GOOD LORD Man
If you must know the this country money issues is not good.
People loosing thier jobs and try to make ends meet.
and here you belly aching about 3 channel toy helicopters.
Not everyone has loads of money like you that can afford hobby grade helis.
they think a 3 channel heli is better than no heli at all.

like I said Not all hobby grade RC copters are not in hobbyshops most are sold from rc helicopter company in warehouses, mind you you be ordering your hobby grade rc helicopter online.

if you keep on belly aching about 3 channel heli you chase off future heli freaks.
incourage not discourage.
blackmagic08 is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk


Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com