Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Industry
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Weird "ticking"

I have this weird "ticking" in the tail of my XL. I say ticking only cause wag seems more severe. The tail will "tick" back and forth at a pretty high rate of speed about .5-1 inch each way. Gyro is a 401, HS-50 on the tail(I know I need a better servo here, but would it cause this?) belt seems to be tight enough not to slip, and I checked it for missing teeth. looked fine. It has been silicone sprayed, but it was doing this before that. wasn't a huge bother before, but I did my first ff tonight, and it's beginning to be a Major annoyance. Gyro is on a switch, position 1 is 50% gain, Pos. 2 is 30%. I have tried lower, but didn't seem to help. Should I go higher? I'm lost.
Industry is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
socal
Registered Users

buy a digital servo!!! you spent the money for the 401 spend the $60 for the servo and it will be as sure as the taxman on payday!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Industry
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Servo problem then. Well better break open that piggy bank :?
Industry is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
redgiki
Registered Users

An additional tidbit to this: buy a FAST digital servo. I was satisfied with my JR DS281 sub-micro digital servo until I cranked up to 3000RPM head speed. Yeah, it's not fast enough to hold the tail without kicking periodically. It's intermittent, but incredibly annoying and basically unflyable when it happens. If I keep the head speed down to 2700-2800, it's not so bad.

You could drop your throttle curve substantially in order to reduce your head speed; if this "solves" the ticking problem, then a fast digital servo is probably the ultimate solution. Reducing head speed isn't really a permanent solution, though, because the slow servo will still result in tail swings during hard-collective aerobatics, which can cause a crash... yeah, don't ask me how I know!

I'm continuing to make do with my DS281 until next payday, then it's being replaced. .23 sec/60 is awful compared to a 9650 @ .14 sec/60degrees . Not even remotely in the same league, and it's showing now that my flying has improved. However, it worked just fine for learning... but at only $15 less than a 9650, get the 9650!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
redgiki is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.