Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters

Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters

Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Tahoe Ed
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DJI Naza Kit Build

I received my Naza Kit on a Monday and by Tuesday had it built and ready to go flying. The build is very easy but you must have some basic soldering skills to wire the Esc’s to the Power Distribution Board. You also need to solder the VU, a smaller, lighter PMU that combines the power to the system with the LED and USB port. The LED is not as bright as the WKM but still pretty bright. I have everything mounted on the bottom plate with the battery on the top plate. It is a pain to get to but the MU/IMU unit is well protected. The Naza MU adds a 3 axis gyro, 3 axis accelerometer with a barometric sensor for altitude hold. According to DJI this is a whole new design from the WKM. I will leave it up to Time Cop to dig into the innards and tell us what is there. I am just interested in how it flies. The supplied Esc’s are 30A Opto units with no internal bec. They have built in bullet connectors so the motor wires just plug in. The electrical connection seems fine now that it is new. Time will tell if they stay that way. The motors are DJI branded 905kV and are limited to 3S. I think that Sidney said they would be capable of using 4S after the first of the year. Right now it is not an issue with an AUW of around 800g including battery and GoPro.

Here is a build video courtesy of Gary Travis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NZWKdfxSpeI

One thing that you notice when you go the Naza Assistant is that there is no adjustment for placement relative to the COG. Also, since there is no compass you don’t have to calibrate. The rest of the set up is right out of the WKM assistant. There are basic gain adjustments for Pitch, Roll, Yaw and Vertical, as well as attitude gain for Pitch and Roll. The Gimbal controls are exactly the same as the WKM. Min, Center, Max for both Pitch and Roll. Gain for Pitch and Roll and manual control speed for Pitch. Since this quad will be significantly sturdier than what I have been flying. I have set the Battery monitor to 10.5v-0.2v=10.3v for the first alarm and 10.1v-0.2v=9.9v for the second alarm and land.

Here is a video that I did to assist those that are having problems setting up their transmitter in the Naza Assistant.

The supplied props are nothing special with the exception of the “magic dust on them”. Just kidding, no magic here. I was not impressed with the indents on the motor shaft that is matched to the props. The idea is so that they will not slip. They do that job well, but I am concerned that with aftermarket props there will be possibility of the props twisting on the shaft. It was nice to see a small wrench included in the kit to tighten the prop nuts. They also work with Graupner Props without the need for the shims to reduce the hole diameter.

There has been some discussion about the torsional rigidity of the frame. Yes you can grab the landing gear and flex the frame. I am not sure if the motors are generating that much torque to deflect the mount. The other issue that some have brought up was the lack of smooth airflow over the arms. I tried to move the esc’s as close to the body a possible. I may end up mounting them on the side of the arm to see if that makes a difference. This is my second F450 frame. I have mounted my junk stuff on that frame to test flight chacteristics with less than ideal equipment at a later date. I will also say that the battery hold down strap was much better with the first frame. The second one came with a real cheap strap. I would also like to see DJI include some silicone wire for the battery leads. I understand not including the connectors, as everyone has their favorite. But the wire in remote areas can be difficult to come by.

I just got back from my maiden flights with the Naza kit and I am impressed. I set the gains at 200 and the Atti at 160 on the advice of someone I trust. When it took off there was noticeable wobble at hover and in forward flight. I took the gains down to 150 and it was better. It was stable in hover at 135 but when descending and in gusts of wind it wobbled. I am going to take it back up to about 145 and see how that does. The Atti gain is currently at 130. I will be playing with that soon. I was not happy with the video from my hard mounted GoPro, way too much Jello. I don’t think that the ledge that extends from the bottom place is sturdy enough. I am going to mount the GoPro case on it and see if that makes it better. Today I was not trying for smooth, but to push this puppy to the extent of my ability. I flew mostly in ATTI but spend a little time in Manual. It was very stable in that mode as well. What bothers me is the arming/disarming. If the throttle goes below 10% then the system disarms and stops the motors. I don’t want that to happen when I am 100 feet up. I crashed on my last flight of the morning into a chain link fence. Damage toll, one bent prop and a scratch on the motor housing. I have bent the prop back and when I go out again, I will see if I need to replace it. The kit comes with 3 sets of props and I saw on the DJI website that replacements are $4/pr. Not a bad price for a prop that can take some hits and not break. They also seem fairly stiff. I flew 3 packs of 3S 2200mAh lipos for 5 min each. I have them on the charger now and based on what I have put back; 834 mAh, 1205 mAh and 1194 mAh, it should be able to go another 2-3 mins.

My next flights will be with the modified GoPro mount, raising the gains back to 145 and adjusting the Atti gain. I am also going to turn on the Battery Monitor and see how that works for me this time. I am still timing just to keep the system honest.

My impressions after 3 flights are as follows. I have not flown a non-gps FC that is this stable out of the box. That includes; the FY90q, ArduCopter Mega, Arduino Pro Mini/Wii, Flyduino Mega with 9DOF sensors, KK red board, and Gaui. I have tried a few, but not all, so you may have one that works better, I just have not tried it. This would be a perfect first Quad for someone that has little or no experience in the sport and wants a relative inexpensive entry point. You can see from the above that I have spent a significant amount of time and money getting to his point. It is no wonder so many people get frustrated and leave our sport. If you are an experienced pilot you may have some complaints about this Kit. One it as about 100g heavier that a comparable aluminum arm frame. Two it has issues with frame flex that have been reported by some. I did not see any flex in my flying today. However, I am not Warthox and cannot/do not fly the way he does. Maybe in another lifetime. And three there is no suitable camera mount right now for this frame. While it has gimbal control, for the Flame Wheel F450 frame it doesn’t matter. I will mount it on my 500 Quad with a GoPro 2-axis mount and see how it does with a larger heavier platform.
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for BMPCC DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, DJI Phantom 2 with H3-2D and Data Link DJI Forum Support

Last edited by Tahoe Ed; 12-29-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Phillips942
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Smile

That was an exceptional Naza build video and review. Im looking to upgrade FC on my current Gaui 330x-s FPV setup but i may purchase the frame as well. Very clean setup.

Once again great job, im sure others will benefit from your detailed review!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Gary Travis
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Naza

The Naza kit flys well and simple to build I really like mine, I had a camera mount done for it and am waiting for the weather to get it dialed in. Mike your controller is on the way
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	1578
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	276580  
Magnum Fuels
Wren Turbines
Ircha #2289
AMA #9377
Gary Travis is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Jonny.Smith
Registered Users

I do believe it's still expensive for entry level kit. basically $240 forESC 4
MOTOR 4 BLADE 4. plus Shipping & Handling: $80.
Jonny.Smith is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Tahoe Ed
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny.Smith View Post
I do believe it's still expensive for entry level kit. basically $240 forESC 4
MOTOR 4 BLADE 4. plus Shipping & Handling: $80.
The complete kit including the Naza controller is $460 which is comparable to other ARTF. This is a complete kit that only needs a transmitter, receiver, lipo and connector between the lipo and the power distribution board which is built into the bottom plate. It also includes 3 sets of props, total of 6. I have not flown as well an integrated full system as the Naza. .
AMA #844172 DJI S1000 Lightbridge Zen for BMPCC DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, DJI Phantom 2 with H3-2D and Data Link DJI Forum Support
Tahoe Ed is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
bobunobu962
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just got the Flame wheel kit and Naza. Everything is setup and ready to go, but I have one problem. One motor does not always start up with the others. It hesitates and if I pump the throttle a couple of times (or twenty) it will usually start spinning properly.

I don't think it is a loose/bad ESC to Motor connection (had that before). It just spins really slowly and hesitates. If I give it a flick when it is hesitating, it starts running properly. Don't think I want to try that with the props on

Once it is running properly, it runs fine until I throttle off, and then sometimes (not every time) will start the whole hesitating thing again.

Anyway, just wanted to see if the experts had seen this before or had any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob
bobunobu962 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Tomstoy2
Registered Users

Same esc's, same settings? What's the timing at?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
bobunobu962
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is the Flame Wheel ARF kit from DJI. Have no idea how to check/program the ESC's which are their 30A Opt's. The instruction say to just plug everything in and it should work. I am starting to think it is a timing issue but I have no way to check that I know of.

Bob

Update: It is definitely worse with the blades on. When I plugged in an old Eflite 40amp esc I had laying around, no issues with the motor startup. I am waiting on some video to render to show what I am talking about.

Without blades:

With Blades:

With a different ESC:

Last edited by bobunobu962; 01-07-2012 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: Added Videos
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
sidneyw
Registered Users

Motor timing has nothing to do with what you are experiencing. Try calibrating the ESC high/low throttle with your radio. Make sure you have zero trim in the radio in all channels (elevator, aileron, rudder) and all EPAs are the same.
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
bobunobu962
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I tried calibrating thru the radio and still no go, same behavior as before. All channels were set to defaults on EPA's (100%), all trims centered and no sub-trims.

I have been in contact with Gary Travis and he is taking care of this.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I really appreciate the support Gary.

Bob
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
sidneyw
Registered Users

Send me a PM, you might have a questionable ESC.
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Justin Pucci
Registered Users

Hey all,

Did you guys ever figure out what's causing the issue that bobunobu962 was having? I just finished my build of the Flame Wheel Naza kit and I'm having the same exact problem with one of my motors, but it's not nearly as bad as bob's...

When I initially start the motors, the "bad" motor behaves in the same way as in bob's videos, but if I pump the throttle 2-3 times, it snaps back into "normal" operation. My initial thought when first seeing it and before reading this thread was motor timing as well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers,
-->J
Justin Pucci is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #13
bobunobu962
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Final results:

After doing some more testing (at the request of DJI) it was determined that the motor was the problem. The suspect ESC worked fine after swapping another motor onto that arm and the problem followed the bad motor when I swapped it to anthor ESC.

DJI is taking care of this issue and I am very happy with the response I received from everyone involved.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Justin Pucci
Registered Users

Bob,

Thanks for all the info. I'll be contacting DJI soon and hopefully we can work out the issue. I will post back here once I've gotten to the bottom of it. Thanks again!

Cheers,
-->J
Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Justin Pucci
Registered Users

Update:

Ok, so work has been busy and I haven't been able to contact DJI USA yet, but I have done some additional testing...

I swapped motors out (the problem motor was my #2 in X configuration) and the problem stayed with the ESC! Very interesting!

Bob, have you gotten your new motor yet from DJI and tested it out?

I've calibrated all four ESC's separately on the RX only, checked the motors, etc. and still no luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #16
bobunobu962
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope. I live in Japan, so there was some problems with shipping the motor from China to Japan, so they went via to the US first and should be delivered there in another day. Should be another week after that for mailing USPS to me. Luckily, I have understanding family.

As soon as I am in receipt, I will post the results.

Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
R Hudson
Registered Users

I didn't think to check this during the build process but I was having some flight problems when I did my first hover tests. It would bounce up and down a few times and it was difficult getting it to establish a solid hover. I was fighting the throttle and feathering up and down to try to establish a hover. Then I noticed that one of the motors seemed to spin slower than the other 3 upon arming. After a few more tries it got worse to the point where, while in atti mode, one motor would just sort of bounce around a bit and never actually start, then the with the throttle at the lowest point the motors would cutoff. Out of curiosity I spun each motor by hand with the props on and discovered that they were inconsistent. Motor #4 did not spin very well by hand and that was the one that was spinning slower under power. I pulled the props and tested again under power. This time when I throttled-up #4 made a nasty bearing noise and #3 was clicking and had bearing slop. 2 of my motors are bad and I have replacements on the way from DJI USA.

I will post again once I have replaced the motors.

Considering that the F450 would actually fly and hold a hover (in this condition) once I got it up about 3 feet I would say that it is quite a machine. I look forward to flying again once I have my replacement motors.
R Hudson is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #18
bobunobu962
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The new motors have arrived. I did the install tonight and everything is working the way it should. Now if the weather will cooperate tomorrow I will be able to get a test flight or two in to the check this baby out.

All I can say, is I am very happy with the response to my problem. Thank you sidneyw.

Bob
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #19
[RC10TC]
Registered Users

How do you initiate altitude hold?

Last edited by [RC10TC]; 01-31-2012 at 01:36 AM..
[RC10TC] is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #20
kkent25
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Travis View Post
The Naza kit flys well and simple to build I really like mine, I had a camera mount done for it and am waiting for the weather to get it dialed in. Mike your controller is on the way
Gary
I really like that camera mount. Did you make that yourself? I'm on the hunt for a mount that would work with the DJI flame wheel.
kkent25 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Multi Rotor Helicopters

Multi Rotor Helicopters Multi Rotor Helicopters Info and Support - Tandem, Quadcopters, Tricopters, Octocopters, and Hexacopters