Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
spudly
Registered Users

Default Not enough +ve pitch! Swash up or down?

Help!! Im still a bit of a newbie so aplogise for my setup question.

Im trying to setup my HK250 but I am only getting +7 and -11 pitch. My servos arms are at 90degrees with my pitch measuring 0degrees at mid stick. My pitch swashmix is 60 and I am only getting +7. I was expecting to get 10 /11. At this swashmix I should easily get to 11.

I don't have a manual for the HK so have used my trex250 one. I used and set the rod length the same as it says in the align manual. Any ideas? I did move the swash up a little thinking that would help but it didn't really.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Ozz58
Registered Users

My HF Map location

First thing you will want to do is get everything level at mid stick. This means, not only the servo arms at 90 but also the swash arms and mixing arms. MAKE SURE THE TWO ARMS ARE LEVEL AT MID STICK. This is probably why you don't have the same + and - pitch now.

After you get the servos at 90 and the two arms level check your pitch. It should now be the same for + and - pitch. I think you'll get something like +8 and -8 if you don't change you swash mix. Now just increase your swash mix untill you get +11 and -11 or so.

Let us know if this helped,

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Ozz58 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
spudly
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Ozz58 but I am now more confused. If my swash is level at midstick then the only adjustment I have is the blade pitch links. Should I lower my swashplate to get the mixing/swash arms level?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Ozz58
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yes lower the swash to get the arms level.

First are both your arms (washout arms and mixing arms) level at mid stick? If they are not you will need to adjust the linkage between the servo and swash and the linkage between the swash and the mixing arms.

The swash can be level but in the wrong spot. When the arms are level you know you have the swash in the correct place.

Make sure when you are checking this you have the flybar level. Locking the flybar can help here if you have something to lock it with. I think I put a allen wrinch to lock mine when I set it up.

Again at mid stick, 90 the servos and get the washout arms and mixing arms level. At this point, if the link sets are the same length you should have a level swash and get the same amount of + and - pitch. It might not be enough but will be the same. Like I said before I think with the swash mix you have you'll be getting + and - 8 (or 9) or so.

Let me know,

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T-Rex 600N | T-Rex 500 ESP | T-Rex 500 GF | T-Rex 250 (Love this little bird) | 22 year old Shuttle ZXX
Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
spudly
Registered Users

Thanks for taking time to reply. At mid stick my arms are not level and the swash looks like it needs lowering. I will do this and appreciate your help.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Ozz58
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem, I learned most of this here on the forum from others.
Let me know if it works out for you.....I think it will.

Craig

Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
petedee
Registered Users

Thanks for these posts Oz, very helpful.

Anyone have hints on using a pitch gauge to work out how much pitch I am setting/getting, it is really a pain on the 250 to get an accurate reading.

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Ozz58
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I could never get my normal (or should I say larger) pitch gage to work on my 250. I was just too heavy.

Here is a link to the one I use. It's a PDF that you can print out on card stock, although I just used normal printer paper and have been using it for years. Be careful cutting it out, like coloring .... stay in the lines.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=115814

I have checked my pitch with a friends "smaller" pitch gage and it's the same reading I'm getting off the paper one.

Try it you'll like it.

Craig

Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
petedee
Registered Users

Thanks Craig,

I do have a smaller one but I will try this one.

Cheers.

Pete

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something."
-- Mitch Hedberg
petedee is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
spudly
Registered Users

Well it didnt fix my problem as when they were leveled (they were only a tiny bit out) the result was pretty much the same. I did solve the problem in the end.
I had stipped the head and rebuilt it and had but the washout block on upside down. Hence it was binding on full positive.
All sorted now though.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
JoeW
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I like the small Align dial gauge, my other one is also too big for the 250 and the 'dial' gauge is a little smaller... wish it was a hair smaller still though.

I'm hoping their new digital gauge is the perfect fit. They say it's good for 250-700 but so do a lot of things.

I also use one of the '0* pitch tools' when setting up at mid stick... I find it easier than flopping around and trying to eyeball the pitch gauge for mid-stick setup. It doesn't take a minute to pull the blades and lock the grips at 0* Any flat, true, thin piece of stock will work with holes drilled so you can screw it down through each blade grip.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
spudly
Registered Users

Not heard of 0 pitch tool before. Sounds like one of these will be useful.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
JoeW
Registered Users

My HF Map location

rdlohr is a member here, his 'tools' are availble at readyheli, I threw one of his 0 pitch locking tools in to an order once

http://www.readyheli.com/RDLohrs-Uni...l_p_37918.html

That should give you a better idea.

I find it quite handy. You could easily make one yourself, if you're sure you could drill the holes reasonably plumb. If you just oversize the holes a bit and use a washer it wouldn't matter if they were at a slight angle. You're just locking the grips together, and then locking them both to the head.

I decided to buy one of his and not screw around, but any flat stable piece of stock with two holes for the blade bolts through it would work.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
spudly
Registered Users

Thanks Joe. Never seen one of those before but look very useful. Will see if I can find one in UK so save shipping costs; otherwise I will consider making one.

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 250 Class Electric Helicopters

250 Class Electric Helicopters 250 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.