START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters

Old 01-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
heinekenheli
Registered Users

Default prop nut and cooling fan coming loose whilst cranking

First time i this happened the i flooded the engine and it locked and propnut and fan come loose pushing clutch shoe into bell housing and creating a bit of a f#&*k up. Luckly no damage to enigne. Next time it just happened weird?? I have being using drill to start could this be the problem?
heinekenheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
johnbs8
Registered Users

My HF Map location

they come loose sometimes. make sure you loctite the fan and nut on the engine. let it setup over night and you should be fine. i know of a couple people that use cordless drills and never have problems.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
djaypro
Registered Users

I have had this problem more than once. I also have used a cordless drill. I am personally happier with a real starter cause I have turned the drill the wrong direction. To tighten the nut I used the lighter in the back plate hole. Fit perfect and was able to tighten without hurting the engine. Hope this helps
djaypro is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Ah Clem
Registered Users

I have had this happen as well (I think a lot of us go through it).

I clean the threads on the nut and the engine shaft with solvent so there is no trace of oil. If the flywheel is threaded, its threads are cleaned to. Generous amounts of blue locktite and a "star" type lockwasher under the propeller nut will usually cure the problem.

There is a tool that you can use that locks the crankshaft (the engine's backplate is removed and the tool is placed over the connecting rod).
Old 01-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
heinekenheli
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fantastic! !!
Thank you for the tips
heinekenheli is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Ah Clem
Registered Users

heinekenheli,

Something I should have mentioned when I posted previously-if you flood the engine, remove the glow plug and spin it with the starter to clear it. Hydraulic lock can really damage the engine (same reason the pull the props through on full sized radials).

Good luck to you, sir!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50

Thunder Tiger 30/50 Raptor 30, Raptor 50 Helicopters