Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 05-30-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
UncleBen
Registered Users

Default How to remove Starter Cup From Sullivan DynaTron???

Hey guys, I'm new here just got hooked on heli's. I've been trying to figure out how to remove the starter cup (the metal cup that holds the silicon insert for starting airplanes) so i can put on a hex adapter for helicopters from an old DynaTron has a little rust on the main shaft. So you pull, unscrew...I've tried everything this thing just wont budge.... Anyone remove the starter cup before?
UncleBen is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
WayneBrown

did one this past weekend. Apply heat as the nut and cup are locktited on, use a small pair of vice grips or good pliers to hold the shaft and an old rag to insulate your hand. Get it hot enough and it will just unscrew.
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Priapismic
Registered Users

I wish mine where that easy. I got the nut off. The cone is a different story. I used a pair of vice grips to hold the shaft and hit the end of the shaft with a propane torch and it still won't budge.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Skiddz
HF Support

My HF Map location

Hit the cone with the torch, making sure ot heat it evenly. Should spin right off and if memory serves, it's a reverse thread.

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Danal Estes
Registered Users

My HF Map location

1) Take off locknut
2) Heat
3) Put on a THICK glove.
4) Attach the wires to a car battery BACKWARD.
5) Spin it up.
6) Grab the cup with the gloved hand.

Repeat 5 and 6, if required. After a couple of tries, it will thread itself right off. Sometimes even without the heat.
Danal Estes is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
WillJames

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danal Estes View Post
1) Take off locknut
2) Heat
3) Put on a THICK glove.
4) Attach the wires to a car battery BACKWARD.
5) Spin it up.
6) Grab the cup with the gloved hand.

Repeat 5 and 6, if required. After a couple of tries, it will thread itself right off. Sometimes even without the heat.

Yea Baby, now that is what I am talking about!! Nice tip!!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
airpup86C
Registered Users

My HF Map location

2012 Update.
Found this thread while looking to see how to get my cone off. Here's a couple pics of my Dynatron after I got the cone off. Note, the threads are right hand, so the cone comes off the normal way. If you use the car battery method to remove the cone, you would hook the starter up to spin counter clockwise, which would be the way you would normally crank an engine.

I was unable to get mine loose using the battery method, As you can see, I ended up taking the starter apart and gripping the armature, and was able to easily remove the cone.

Al
airpup86C is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
cyclenut
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had just decided to stick with the starter cup, and it had unscrewed, so, I red loctited it... then found a good deal on a Sullivan starter shaft here... I was aware of this thread, so got the heat gun out and gave that a go- no luck, perhaps with a full 24v, but I didn't have that laying around, so I ended up pulling the starter apart like airpup and was easily able to get it apart when I could grab the whole armature with my other hand. I am sure the heat helped a little bit, but the disassembly was the kicker that helped me over the hump.
--citizen 19-- ama#986265, T-Rex 700n 700e, 600n, 550e, 500 efl pro, 450 pro.. and a couple of planks
cyclenut is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
Ace Dude
Registered Users

IIRC, I used a strap wrench to hold the shaft while turning turning the cone so I wouldn't mar anything. Since I get the strap wrench it's come in handy for other things around the house.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please